Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL500 Dark Blue 2010 Honda Crosstour 4WD Grey
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 95 SL500 began humming when I turn on either the radio/cassette or CD but only if the car has been sitting in the sun or hot. The hum goes away in 30-60 seconds and everything plays fine unless parked in the sun or hot condition for a bit and it repeats itself. No problems whatsoever first thing in the morning only during the day, I suspect something in the amplifier but if someone has had this issue in the past, or knows what it is I would appreciate your comments, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz R129 SL500 AMG SL1 + SL2
29 Posts
Does the antenna extract? It could be the motor for the electric antenna that sounds if it can't move the antenna correctly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The antenna comes up all the way and retracts fully when the head unit is turned off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet, it starts as soon as the antenna is fully up, you can hear music etc. but the hum is louder and eventually wanes to where it is gone. I don't know if it's the head unit or the amp and since I don't have anyone I can swap amps with I can't be sure.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Isolate the antenna from the picture.
I think you can remove fuse#5 (power antenna/central locking) located in the trunk, above the wind screen storage, and then turn on the radio to see if the humming occurs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do, I have a spare drive mechanism w/o an antenna installed so if it's that the fix will be an easy one.

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
HT side of ignition, interfering with the head units amp' ??

Long shot but is strange how it only appears in relation to heat and then goes away!!!

No a major problem to be concerned about but curious as to what it may be!

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
HT side of ignition, interfering with the head units amp' ??

Long shot but is strange how it only appears in relation to heat and then goes away!!!

No a major problem to be concerned about but curious as to what it may be!
You got my interest.... ;) Lol.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it does it w/o the engine on since the radio comes on w/o the need to turn the engine over. As far as I can see this takes the ignition out of the equation and more than likely points to either the head unit or amp. I will remove power to the antenna but have not found the right fuse to remove, it's not listed in the trunk fuse box so I'll need to pull the power cable next.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,116 Posts
I don't think the antenna is fused separately. but you can unplug the cable at the base of the antenna.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,116 Posts
Yes, looks like your '00 has a different card that the older R129 which has no mention of antenna at all.

#5 fuse in th trunk is for Trunk lamp, central locking supply pump,left and right door actuator, interior central locking switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts