Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my apologies for not being particularly active as of late. Work has been rather insane as of late.

Speaking of work, I got into a minor accident lately on the way into the office. An inattentive Civic driver did not check her blindspot and made a lane change into me. There were two left turning lanes at the intersection, and she was on the far left, attempting to change into the (faster moving) left-turn lane that I was in.

Although I saw what the driver was attempting to do when she was almost next to me and managed to slam on the brakes, activating Brake Assist, there was a concrete median on my left side. Therefore it was it impossible for me to move out of the way without more severe damage to the ML. Therefore, the Civic's front wheel made contact with my ML.

What was fortunate about it was that the sidestep took the entire brunt of the damage, denting at the end and being pushed out of it's brackets by several millimeters. Were it not for the sidestep, my front and rear passenger doors would've been dented, requiring significantly more work to repair.

The positive side? I managed to get an upgrade to the new (and much more expensive!!) stainless steel sidesteps as the previous chrome ones are now unavailable through MB. While the new steps offer less ding protection due to their closer proximity to the body of the ML, the completely horizontal step pad surface along with the stainless steel construction makes it worth while [:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
Sounds familiar...another reason to get sidesteps...

Hey Drew... same thing happened to me back in 1998 when we got our first ML320 - just 4 months old and some idiot kid floored his MR2 and tried to get through 3 lanes of traffic (I mean 90 degree left turn!). Well he ALMOST made it, got past 3 lanes of traffic and hit a GMC Jimmy, proceeded to bounce off that car, spin 180 and head right into my DS door!

Good thing that 2nd gen MR2 had a sloped nose as it ran just under the ML sidestep bar before moving up into the DS door. Results?

new GMC Jimmy was a write off
the MR2 was smashed front, side, back and a write off
ML - required new DS door and DS sidestep.

The 163 frame was not even dented!! The re & re on the ML step bar was just unbolt, bolt up. Amazing that nobody was seriously injured (I sustained 2 cracked vertabrae though). Testimonial on just how strong the ML163's are - I wonder how a ML164 would fare in a similar accident? Surely the body would be seriously distorted. I know that the stepbar took all the energy out of the impact (at about 30d angle to the door @ 20+ mph).

·
BenzWorld W211 Host
E270 CDI -03
163 Posts
dang!
those chrome lists...are they a part of the "elegance-package"? I assume so couse it says ELEGANCE on them.
I did'nt know that there were different "packages" for the ML...
would really like to get ahold of a pair myself.

·
Registered
02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
1,632 Posts
the advantage of having the "step II running board" is when somebody hit you,(e.g. Mr,Drew accident) the only damage would be the bars but when you use the 02-04 step bars - see pic, it would/will cause to damage your door panel and in the long run will cost you more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
I've had my side bar dented for awhile, its a chrome bar with no steps they dont make them with no steps anymore, so i refuse to buy one until I can find one with no steps

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quite sure they still make it...

BlackHawk - 5/11/2005 7:15 PM

I've had my side bar dented for awhile, its a chrome bar with no steps they dont make them with no steps anymore, so i refuse to buy one until I can find one with no steps
Just recently I saw an ML500 with the step-less ones. I'm sure that you can still find them somewhere. They're pretty much the same aside from the actual step pad itself.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stroessel - 5/13/2005 7:09 AM

and what about the chrome lists I asked about? [:)]
I'm not sure what you are referring to as "lists". I am going to guess that you are looking at the chrome rubstrips that run horizontally across the door? If so, those were an aftermarket accessory from Germany that you can no longer purchase. They were available for years and years, but due to the high pricing, no one purchased them. Therefore no one knew what they looked like, and whether they were good enough to make the investment!

Just as they went out of production, I bought a set, installed it, and thought that they look fantastic. Several others here purchased them and that was the end of it.

I added the "Elegance" badges since in Canada, we have the Classic/Elegance/Sport lineup as well, just as in Europe.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Sorry this is OT, but did you ever get that PM from me about the sticky request for the W163 forum. Thxs!

And I'm glad the Civic didnt do much damage to your truck.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No she wasn't...

CQRT - 5/11/2005 6:39 PM

and... SHE WAS ON THE PHONE...RIGHT ?
She was simply not paying attention and did not check her blindspot. This is why those little mirrors for the outside rearview mirrors are so beneficial!

The left most left-turn lane that I was in had much less traffic and we were already rolling as the lights had turned green. Therefore she thought that it would be faster if she simply went into my lane. The only reason she made contact with the back half of my sidestep was that I saw her moving over and braked hard. If not, the front fender/wheel would've been damaged.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks...

pize98 - 5/13/2005 9:53 AM

glad to here no damage to your ML drew another reason for me to keep my running boards on!
I was glad that there was no more damage either. It was a big hassle enough to have to go through the insurance company, to the bodyshop, etc.

·
BenzWorld W211 Host
E270 CDI -03
163 Posts
Drew - 5/11/2005 4:38 PM

I'm not sure what you are referring to as "lists". I am going to guess that you are looking at the chrome rubstrips that run horizontally across the door? If so, those were an aftermarket accessory from Germany that you can no longer purchase. They were available for years and years, but due to the high pricing, no one purchased them. Therefore no one knew what they looked like, and whether they were good enough to make the investment!

Just as they went out of production, I bought a set, installed it, and thought that they look fantastic. Several others here purchased them and that was the end of it.

I added the "Elegance" badges since in Canada, we have the Classic/Elegance/Sport lineup as well, just as in Europe.
Yea I ment those. Did'nt really know what to call them.

I believe that the M-class is the only class without the Classic/Elegance/Avant garde/Sport-lineup. Or I am I wrong?

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stroessel - 5/13/2005 1:56 PM

I believe that the M-class is the only class without the Classic/Elegance/Avant garde/Sport-lineup. Or I am I wrong?
The W163 in Canada was available with those designations, with the Classic model being the base [:)]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts