Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember someone mentioning using mineral oil on the chrome trim on our cars so I have it a try.
It works great ! All the moldings around the doors and windows. They look like new. Not sure how long it will last but even if I have to re apply it from time to time I think it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
That's an old used car dealer trick.

It even works on paint. Run an oily rag over dull and burned-out paint and it will gleam.

...for a while.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an old used car dealer trick.

It even works on paint. Run an oily rag over dull and burned-out paint and it will gleam.

...for a while.
I did hahaah. My Lincoln hood lost its clear and was cloudy. I decided to make it shine till I have it painted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
WD40 works great on the spotted trim

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
I tried this and it lasts until the first time it rains hard which in Vancouver is often! I'm going to just paint it all eventually, go for that all-white "milked" look that AMG did back in the day.

·
Registered
679 Posts
A can of 2k clear spray paint works the same and lasts much longer . You can find 2k clear on eBay
Could brush-on, chip repair clear coat accomplish the same thing? I know it'd be harder to get it to lay on and leave a nice smooth finish (without some careful fine sanding anyway), but then there's no need to mask or worry about overspray. Curious to know the results if anyone's tried it...

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
You’re not going to get a smooth finish wit a brush , it’s easy to mask off trim and a bit of overspray isn’t really apparent since it’s clear

Try any generic auto parts store can of clear spray paint and spray the Mercedes trim in a car at a junkyard if you want to see how it comes out before doing it to your own car

·
SuperModerator
13,215 Posts
The horizontal pieces running along underneath the windows (on the doors) are the easiest to remove. They literally just pop off although the mirrors need loosening on the front ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
ianrandom
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing