Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the washer tank leakage on my 01 E. Got the grommet from dealer for about $4. Still leaks. I was quoted $80 for the pump. Autohaus has them (VDO-Siemens) for $19.98 + shipping. How can that possibly be? Isn't the Ssiemens pump that inferior? Isn't the OEM Siemens?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,706 Posts
It is like Las Vegas hotels.
You go there midweek -you get room on the Strip for $35.
You want the same room Friday night -it is $120
You want it on New Year eve -it is $500.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your tank is leaking are you sure you need the pump?
I'm pretty sure. The leak is from the pump area - right below the pump. I have already replaced the grommet and that did not solve the problem. I don't believe it is the tank itself because when I took both pump/grommet out, there were no cracks in the area where the leak was coming from. Also, when I left pump out with water in tank below grommet level, there was no puddle. The pump still works but for $20, I don't mind swapping it out. If it's the tank it would have to be above the grommet level!

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
What is so mind boggling?
The dealer has to lease a nice big building, big land, employ many people, pay their salaries and benefits, collect sales tax, ... The same items must be sold at much higher price to cover all those overheads. Dealer pays huge tax to local/county government to help keep your city vibrant.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
rmeruopean.com has FEBI for $12.55...

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is so mind boggling?
The dealer has to lease a nice big building, big land, employ many people, pay their salaries and benefits, collect sales tax, ... The same items must be sold at much higher price to cover all those overheads. Dealer pays huge tax to local/county government to help keep your city vibrant.
Well, this is the same dealership who sold me OEM brake pads for my 500 at comparable cost to the aftermarkets. So I was shocked at such a huge markup for a tiny part. Maybe the parts guy thought I was asking for something else. Here's the P/N he printed out for me: 210-869-08021.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Well, this is the same dealership who sold me OEM brake pads for my 500 at comparable cost to the aftermarkets. So I was shocked at such a huge markup for a tiny part. Maybe the parts guy thought I was asking for something else. Here's the P/N he printed out for me: 210-869-08021.
That crosses back over to the same number as the one at RMeuropean.com for $12.55 (they have the VDO one as well for a comparable price to autohausaz.com).

There's certainly nothing wrong with FEBI. Here's the link to the item if you're interested: Mercedes Windshield Washer Pump 2218690121 - RM European Auto Parts

Of course you have to spend $65 there to get free shipping, but it's easily enough accomplished. :D

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, mine was the pump. Replaced two day ago and no leaks anymore. With the spray from the new pump, I can see that the old pump was actually very bad though it sprayed washer fluid onto the windshield just fine. There's definitely more zing to the spray with the new pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts