Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 380SL 1982
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1981 380SL for my husband, as a Father's Day gift, a few years ago. He is currently deployed and I am doing the maintenance on our vehicles. (No, I do not mind getting my hands dirty.) Dad is a mechanic and proof of basic repair skill was required before I could get my driver's license. Earned my wheels on a 1969 Plymouth Fury III.
I am missing a single (2 sided) page from the Owner's Manual, pages 64 & 65. These just happen to be the pages for checking fluid levels. I do not want to have to pay $$$ for a single page. Any suggestions? I have never worked on the Benz other than tire pressure and engine oil. I am not comfortable maintaining without basic guidance. Also any recommendations on the best DIY repair manual would be appreciated. I would hit up Dad but he is on opposite coast and his speciality is "Catepillar."
Thank you for your time and effort. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1973 450 SL AMG, 1999 ml320
211 Posts
well you can get a hanse mauel. for about 10.00 at the local auto parts store. all of the stuff you know about cars is the same. it uses atf for the trans and the power stering. and taket to the shop to have them flish out the rear end. nothign new

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1959 220S, 1970 280SL
777 Posts
All fluids should be checked with the car level.

The engine oil is checked witht the dipstick at right (passenger) side, front of engine. Marks near the bottom for max and min.

Coolant tank is on right fender, levels are marked on tank. Fluid level in middle of tank is fine.

Windshield washer is near/below coolant tank, easy to check visually.

Power steering resevoir is black with wing nut on left front of engine. Unscrew wing nut, remove top. Level is stamped on side. Anyplace 1/4 - 1/2" from top is OK.

Brake fluid resevoir is on firewall, left side. Min and max are marked.

Trans fluid is checked similar to engine oil. Dipstick on right rear of engine. Check at hot idle in Park.

Thanks to your family for your service to our country!

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,927 Posts
I purchased a 1981 380SL for my husband, as a Father's Day gift, a few years ago. He is currently deployed and I am doing the maintenance on our vehicles. (No, I do not mind getting my hands dirty.) Dad is a mechanic and proof of basic repair skill was required before I could get my driver's license. Earned my wheels on a 1969 Plymouth Fury III.
I am missing a single (2 sided) page from the Owner's Manual, pages 64 & 65. These just happen to be the pages for checking fluid levels. I do not want to have to pay $$$ for a single page. Any suggestions? I have never worked on the Benz other than tire pressure and engine oil. I am not comfortable maintaining without basic guidance. Also any recommendations on the best DIY repair manual would be appreciated. I would hit up Dad but he is on opposite coast and his speciality is "Catepillar."
The best manual for the 380SL is the CD available from MBUSA for about $25.00. Paper copies are also available but would cost about $200 for the equivolent of the CD. The CD is just a PDF scan of the paper manuals.

For the fluid level checks the advice you get here along with you basic knowledge should suffice.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
The best manual for the 380SL is the CD available from MBUSA for about $25.00. Paper copies are also available but would cost about $200 for the equivolent of the CD. The CD is just a PDF scan of the paper manuals.
Selected highlights of the printed manuals. The manuals list jobs that aren't in the CD.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,320 Posts
well you can get a hanse mauel. for about 10.00 at the local auto parts store. all of the stuff you know about cars is the same. it uses atf for the trans and the power stering. and taket to the shop to have them flish out the rear end. nothign new
For goodness sakes.
Why bother posting ANYTHING if you won't check your spelling.
Nobody will ever take you seriously.
Stop wasting your time.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,320 Posts
You have some good answers here already but maybe someone here could scan and post your two missing pages?

Guys?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 380SL 1982
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I have exactly the answers that I needI will definately look into the purchase of the CD, sounds like just the thing for me (and dad, when he visits:D) I suffered a head injury in an auto accident and have extreme difficulty with reading. Definately a change and a challenge from a, now former, Pharmacy professional. The CD will help as I presume it talks and shows pictures.
Small lecture - In defense of poor spellers; a very wise man (Colonel I have been particularly, fond of for the last 30 years) says "It is a small mind that can only spell a word one way." I was able to understand all communcations very clearly and anyone who was willing to take a moment of their time to help this "damsel in distress" is okay in my book.

Thank you all again very much!

MacsLass

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
macslass said:
The CD will help as I presume it talks and shows pictures.
Might not be so helpful in your situation. The CD does have pictures, but they are relatively poor scans of the paper manuals that open in an Adobe reader. There are no video or audio files, it's all text. And navigation is not the most user friendly.

For the light repair and maintenance info I think you are seeking, I think your best avenue to be the Haynes or Chilton repair guides. Or even one of each. The instructions are more layman oriented. Their pictures are sometimes a bit generic, but are more viewable. And much more portable than your PC.

I wish you the best of luck. Sounds like Mac is a lucky man.

Dave.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts