Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to locate the correct pulley for a military U1300L. would anyone be kind enough to provide the diameter measurement. i think its about 2 1/2 inches but exact number would be great.

thanks, Sass

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just popped out and measured mine - it's roughly 65mm OD - unortunately it's dark on this campsite so the measurement was done with a tape and a torch, if you want a more accurate measure I'll put a vernier on it tomorrrow - let me know.

Ian
that would be great.
thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,372 Posts
Just goes to show - again - that on Mogs you can expect anything. I would have thought it would be the same on my U1000. Not. My pulley is enormous by comparison - almost the size of the backing fan plate. So..... different crank pulley size ? Mmmmmm

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,265 Posts
Or the Gauges are calibrated differently? I know Terry's Krankenwagen had a different speedo than mine, never looked at the alternator, I'll dig up some pictures if I took any.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,372 Posts
Or the Gauges are calibrated differently? I know Terry's Krankenwagen had a different speedo than mine, never looked at the alternator, I'll dig up some pictures if I took any.
That would be good to know. I can imagine that on the Ag spec Mogs, the engine will generally run at high revs (to maintain PTO speed) and therfore a larger pulley is fine. However, on a road model, perhaps it is felt that the engine spends less time at high revs therfore a smaller Pulley is required.
Anyway, I have sitting in my garage, a brand new Bosch alternator (Universal model) with a small pulley. I am going to fit that in a few months time to replace the somewhat "moth eaten" one currently on the Mog. If it is possible to adjust the tacho to suit pulley size, I wil be temped to do that. As always, life is a compromise, but alternators like to run fast rather than slow - esp in hot climes. I found out the hard way !

·
Registered
1984 schmidt u1700
133 Posts
showing 97.83mm on my schmidt 1700. this is a totally different version of "get out the rulers" from what i saw in the "banhammer" thread

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,372 Posts
Here's mine. Not what Tmax is looking for, but good comparison of size's
Yup, I would say that is the same as mine. So it looks like there are at least two diff sizes - switch inside tacho to select pulley size ??????

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had the rad out today for replacement,
this is what the calipers say

Rob
Measured it in the light with the vernires - mine is 64mm OD.

Ian

thank you very much. i guess that settles it.

i have only seen this size pulley on military mogs. it is very likely a mil spec application just like many other little things that are only specific to military mogs.

as for a selectable tach switch, i have looked for it before but did not see it. i have seen a potentiometer inside a tach but i dont think thats what its for. (or maybe it is)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

mildcustome mentioned that his mog was equipped with a tachograph speedometer on the option list and this may apply to other ambulance 1300L's as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts