Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280GE military
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone!

i just restored to life a 84' (i think...) 280GE military version. i don't know much about it, and i'll be happy if someone could help me understanding that thing! every time i drive it i found another thing that surprises me about it.

if you guys have any information about that version i'll be realy greatfull!

Eyal

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Which country are you in?

I have also just aquired a military G 230 BGS/BRIXMIS
BRIXMIS was a Berlin Unit that operated 280 into DDR for special purpose its possible you are lucky to have one of these, does it have a observation hatch in the roof?

·
Registered
'91 G300D SWB Manual, '99 ML320 7 seater
827 Posts
eyal - 3/24/2005 9:39 AM

hello everyone!

i just restored to life a 84' (i think...) 280GE military version. i don't know much about it, and i'll be happy if someone could help me understanding that thing! every time i drive it i found another thing that surprises me about it.

Eyal
Tell us the VIN and we'll tell you the model and year of manufacture (it might have been modified over the years).

Regards,

·
Registered
280GE military
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am from Israel, i'm 21 years old.

My version is the SWB soft-top. i'de really like to know more about it's specification.

thanks for the info so far...

Eyal [:)]

·
Registered
280GE military
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be happy to give Mortinson the chassis number, but we'll have to wait for next week because the car is parked at my base, along with its license, and all week i'm in the army with no internet.

question: when i'm driving the car with the diffrential locks, the light is on, but suddenly the light turns off and on repeatedly and the locks stops to work without me touching the handles. you know something about it? the locks just won't work for a period of time (esspecialy when i'm doing a bit of rock climbing...).

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
eyal - 3/25/2005 12:21 PM

question: when i'm driving the car with the diffrential locks, the light is on, but suddenly the light turns off and on repeatedly and the locks stops to work without me touching the handles. you know something about it? the locks just won't work for a period of time (esspecialy when i'm doing a bit of rock climbing...).
Try bleeding the lines first, as you may have air in the lines. If that doesn't work, you have leaks in the internal seals of either the master cylinder (most likely), the slave cylinder or both; and you'll either have to replace or rebuild them.

·
Registered
240GD ex mil
41 Posts
I also have a military G. My is a 240GD. Model year 1982.

I have some detailed pictures of it here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/torfinn9990

Torfinn

·
Registered
1981 240 GD
83 Posts
Nice pictures Torfinn.
Mine is a 240GD, also military, 1981, but SWB.
I realize yours cme prepared for extreme low temperatures. Mine didnt come with heater in the back, nor with the DC plugs in the back of the central console. I assume yours is 24V also?

Rgds, Fernando

·
Registered
240GD ex mil
41 Posts
Hi Fernando I remember you and your car from an earlier thread. And yes it is 24V. It has a webasto heater 5-6kW. It has two internal heaters. It also has a 230V engine block heater. Finally it has outlets on the front bumper so the engine can be heated from a fuel fired portable heater or from another engine.

Torfinn

·
Registered
827 Posts
mortinson - 3/24/2005 5:02 PM

eyal - 3/24/2005 9:39 AM

hello everyone!

Eyal
Tell us the VIN and we'll tell you the model and year of manufacture (it might have been modified over the years).

Regards,
I am saying this because if it is a 280 GE it is indeed a very rare beast: just 20 280 GE were made with the military soft-top bodywork in short wheel-base and a further 24 in long wheel-base.

If would also be interesting to know to which army was this G Wagen originally sold to.

Cheers,

·
Registered
280GE military
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's good to be back!
when you're in the army, a week seems like forever...[:D]

i've got the chassis number : 7042778
here are some pics as well, hope you'll like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I agree, and a silly question

Nice truck!

I'm dying to see pix of it with the tilt off and screen folded.

Here's a silly question, what happens to the windscreen wipers when you fold the screen? Do you have to remove them?

-Dave G.

·
Registered
827 Posts
eyal - 4/1/2005 7:22 PM

it's good to be back!
when you're in the army, a week seems like forever...[:D]

i've got the chassis number : 7042778
here are some pics as well, hope you'll like it.
Nice G.

I believe that your truck was made at the beginning of 1986, which is one of the years when the 20 units of this type were made.

But in order to check this I would need the complete VIN...

Cheers

·
Registered
240GD ex mil
41 Posts
RE: I agree, and a silly question

Hipine - 3/31/2005 4:04 PM

Nice truck!

I'm dying to see pix of it with the tilt off and screen folded.

Here's a silly question, what happens to the windscreen wipers when you fold the screen? Do you have to remove them?

-Dave G.
You have to press the viper arms towards the axle then they "disconnect" and then turn them down below the windscreen. I do not know if this type of viper arm are standard or special military. You also need to twist the vipers a little.

Torfinn

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
eyal - 4/2/2005 6:24 AM

Thanks for the compliments, this car is indeed somthing special...

the VIN number i gave you was the one writen in the car's license. do you know where i could find the whole number (i think it's under the bonnet but i'm not sure)?
There should be a small embossed metal plate riveted to the cabin air intake plenum under the hood. It's also stamped into the side of the ladder frame just behind the right front wheel well. Format will be: 460xxxx7xxxxxx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts