Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230 Year 1998
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the laws have changed in Ireland everything is Kilometers now and no longer miles. Is it possible to change the speedometer in my 98 SLK 230 for one recording kilometers, i have searched the usual places on the web but cant seem to find any.

Thanks

·
1998 SLK 230
2,594 Posts
you need to take it to the dealership to make this change... BUT not sure it works for the older model cars. change is made in STAR diagnois

steps are (taken off other forums)

Plug car into Star diagnosis, select vehicle etc
Go to Instrument Cluster (ICM)
Click on "maintenance operations ...."
Click on "control unit adaptations"
Click on "national version"
Select "Rest of World" in there
Accept that and transfer the coding to the cluster

i belive this will also change the temperature too from celcius to farenheit and vice versa

·
Registered
SLK 230 Year 1998
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mile to Kilometers

Thanks Subby for your quick reply.

My post wasnt to clear I actually want to change the dials on the display.

Having to stare at the smaller print Kilometers as opposed to the bigger letters of the miles can be dangerous. So i would like to swap out the dials if possible. I know on other models its possible to get fresher looking dials etc.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,594 Posts
i dont think you can actually change the dials on the cluster... only way i can think to make this sort of change is to get a cluster in km's, i know aussie and jap ones are and the USA ones have both miles and sub markings on the same cluster for km's.

putting the cluster in wouldnt be hard but re-coding it for the car is a dealer job. its best to enquire first at the dealer or a competent indy mechanic for costs involved

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
4 yrs ago, a member from Adelaide (adelaideslk) changed his dial when adding different backlighting colours (colour is in the dial material) - so I believe it can be done

Oberoi

·
Registered
SLK 230 Year 1998
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your feedback, I need to delve a little deeper into this.

I know a Polish auto electrician that swapped out the dials on his Audi A6, for those glow in the dark ones. I will put him on the case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts