Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just wondering what mileage you all get from a full tank of diesel until reserve light shows? Curious on all the vito/viano manual models, and also, if anyone has installed upgrades to help fuel economy? Cheers in advance..
Paulie

·
Registered
73 Posts
I believe this thread was covered week or so ago... But I filled mine and got 600 miles before chickening out and getting fuel, that was on Shell diesel. :)

Oh and re maps can make the performance better but improve up to 40% better economy, I want to get a 90bhp map for economy and 150 map for performance and switch between two.....

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
the 638 108 non cdi gets at least 500m and normally 600 in mixed driving

the cdi 108 gets 500 to 550miles

the 639 gets 600 to 650miles normally and can exceed 700m

the lowest bhps e.g. 108 and 109 get the lowest mpg

the 115 gets the highest mpg unless driven hard

so getting a 90bhp conversion is short sighted the 115 conversion is the most powerful but also the most economic.

ALL figures from MB and backed up by members.

To many the mpg figures will seem odd but not if you understand the dynamics.

When driving a low bhp vito, you have to change up gears later as you need higher speeds before the gearing becomes smooth and you can pull away.

When driving the high bhp vito, you can change up gear earlier (i.e at lower revs) which means more of the journey can be in higher gear so that fewer revolutions will get you further.

These economy effects are more noticeable in town (not city centres) and in hilly areas and increase with heavier loads.

The mpg increases with bhp is less noticeable on motorways (you tend to be in high gear all of the time)

The mpg improvements with higher bhp REVERSE if you drive hard i.e. if you accelerate hard in low gear in order to "get awy" quicker.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Malcolm,
Funnily enough i was on the phone today to a center who wanted 350euro for a remap that would take 2 to 3 hours with the use of a dyno, I thought it was expensive! Anyhow, i didn't realise getting the re-map for performance would help fuel figures as i was going to ask for an economy remap. I'll have to try see if there's a center up north. So the 639 must not be as good as the 638 on fuel. I never get more than 390ish miles to a full tank (639cdi 80KW)and never drive the van hard. Thats food for thought

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
generally the 639s are better but the longer ones use more fuel because they're heavier.

from reports, there isn't a lot between 638 and 639 like models but some people do better in front wheel drive vehicles and others in rear wheel drives.......... if you talk to 638 owners you find more affection for the vehicles however the newer versions have tax advantages (euro 4 and 5 are cheaper to tax) and the older ones are fined heavily in the new pollution zones such as within the m25.

then of course you get more rust on 638s and early 639s as galvanising is quite recent.... you get more corrosion in heavy industry areas (yorks, humberside, black country etc) and less in very rural areas.

for mpg comparisons, take a look at the mercedesbenz vito site, you will see the comparisons between the models.

I learnt the hard way as I would race anyone (13 endorsements on my original red licence) and learnt to drive gently for economy reasons (disabled by poisoning) but still have a tendency to take anyone on...... now I have to wait another 15months for my bus pass so until then I'll just have to keep the pressure light when moving off (or will I??????)

ps on the power conversion, the dracula man did a bit on it for ITV a year or so ago and got over 20% better mpg with a large bhp increase in a 4x4 (sorry I mean Quentin Wilson not dracula [something to do with the hairstyle confuses me])

·
Registered
14 Posts
ive got a 639 111cdi compact, and im lucky to see 300 to a tank, i have ladders on the roof and my tools in the rear half as the middle is seated...even empty with no rack or ladders i only get an extra 30mile to the tank:mad:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 115 xl and get between 550-650 KMS before fuel light flashes )though i do 60 stop starts at a minimum a day)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts