Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
'05 C230 Kompressor,
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, have any of you had problems where you're getting less mpg than specified on the specs sheet from the mfr?

i have about 7K miles on mine and since day one i am ONLY getting barely 24mpg (mostly cruise-controlled highway driving). the specs say 24mpg city; 32mpg highway----whats wrong with this picture?

i informed the dealer, and as expected, they said "oh that's normal, the posted mileage is just an average"

ok, i KNOW that if 32mpg is an "average", then that means that alot of "SOMEONES" got WAAAY above 32mpg----so if other people have gotten 40mpg AND the average is 32, how in the hell is my mere (way under average) 24mpg "normal"?

i checked tire pressure and the dealership "supposedly" checked alignment so those factors can be ruled out. does/did anyone else have similar problems? if so did gas mileage increase as you put more miles on the engine? or is my stealership pulling my leg?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have about 19K on my car and have found the mileage to be just a little under what I expected. around 23 in the city and 31 or so on the highway. Just yesterday I put 400 miles on the car and averaged a little over 30 MPG (traveling 70-80 MPH) according to the computer which I have found to be pretty accurate (within 1-2 decimal points). I have gotten a lot less, particularly lead footing it in the city but usually I'm close to M-Bs specs.

It could be that your computer is not accurate but if you are checking your mileage the old fashioned way and still getting bad results talk to the dealer again. There are other factors that might hurt your mileage including load, living in a very cold climate or in a very hilly or mountainous area. Regardless you should expect better mileage.

·
Registered
'05 C230 Kompressor,
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i appreciate your quick and honest response

the thing is: i have mentioned it to the dealer twice and they said the same thing. i drive alone, have no load, and i am not leadfooted either...huge majority of my miles are highway driven at cruise-controlled 70mph.

you are lucky. at least you ARE getting somewhere close to their specs. like i said earlier i am barely getting 24mpg highway (thank God i don't do city driving---i might as well drive an H2 with a full load)

i thought about the climate also, but it would be foolish to blame cold weather on that much of a deviance, espeially since i let the car warm up, and i am easy on the throttle. they say 32 mpg highway, but i would be satified just to get 28 or 30mpg----jeez

·
Registered
12 Posts
tresean1,

Off this subject, I see you have the Harmon Kardon stereo. We're thinking of order a C230 SS soon and are contemplating on whether or not to get the better stereo. I've heard the stock system and it's not bad. Is the H/K worth the extra $$?

Thanks.

·
Registered
04c230k sport sedan
224 Posts
the stock speakers are terrible. i have replaced my factory headunit and after listening to my music relatively loud the speakers start to sound terrible after about thirty minutes. it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
'05 C230 Kompressor,
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
steevr - 3/20/2005 10:16 PM

tresean1,

Off this subject, I see you have the Harmon Kardon stereo. We're thinking of order a C230 SS soon and are contemplating on whether or not to get the better stereo. I've heard the stock system and it's not bad. Is the H/K worth the extra $$?

Thanks.
NO.

·
Registered
2004 W203 C180K Elegance Sport Sedan & 2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance Coupe
104 Posts
do you use your airconditioner and charcoal filter constantly? if so, these also add to your fuel consumption

try to turn it all off every now and again, and avoid using the charcoal filter if you are in a pollution free area anyway.

·
Registered
'05 C230 Kompressor,
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont use the a/c at all----and i dont know if i use the charcoal filter or not, i didnt know u could turn it on and off

·
Registered
spåhonsåÿo
208 Posts
With my previous car, a 2002 W203 C-180 with the 2 litre engine and a 6 speed manual gearbox, I managed to drive 500km (310 miles) on 5.9 litre/100km (39.9mpg). I used the A/C all the time.
/Bengt

·
Registered
24 Posts
treasan1, i also have an '05 230k ss, and i'm experiencing the same problem with my mileages....i drive in the city and highway, but the miles are considerably low...i get around 320-350 miles off a tank.....should be higher......i never floor it either.....i'm supposedly running a test for spring break.....gonna fill it up all the way and see how many miles i get driving straight from louisiana to florida on a full tank....should be over 400

·
Registered
24 Posts
isn't our tank like 16+ gal? think that's what i saw in the manual...if i'm not satisfied with what i get on my straight highway trip....something is going to be done

·
Registered
22 Posts
tresean1 - 3/19/2005 1:12 PM

the thing is: i have mentioned it to the dealer twice and they said the same thing.
Please, if at all possible, try a different dealership; they can be as different as night and day. Regardless of the cause, the dealership should at least open the hood and _pretend_ to look into the problem.

·
Registered
'05 C230 Kompressor,
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i was thinking about running that same "test" but i dont have anywhere planned....i dont wanna just get in the car and waste a whole fill-up for nothing--then i'll be really pissed if the mileage hasnt gone up any

but i agree with you, something is gonna be done because its a damn shame that my buddy's e-class (with v-6!!!!!!) is getting 26mpg, and other [bigger, heavier] midsize sedans (that i own and know people with them) with similar engines are getting better mielage (under the same driving conditions)

im gonna try maybe switiching dealers next time....

·
Registered
2005 C230 SS
20 Posts
Same here...I have around 3500 miles on my car and I am getting 23-24 mpg. Mostly highway driving but I do step on it pretty often.. I brought this up to my dealer last time and I was in and they told me that the car needs to broken in for 5,000-7,000 miles to get the actual true mileage. We'll see...

·
Registered
24 Posts
i think the dealer is just saying that so you can go away....there's only the few who actually are dedicated into looking into these types of problems...i just hit 3000 miles and i feel like the car is broken-in because there's a pretty big difference from how the car was brand new and how it performs now, maybe it's just me.......mileage wise, nothing has changed....i even leave my car to warm up everytime for approximately 7-10 min (takes pretty long for the temperature to get to 80) warming up the car supposedly gives u better mileage and not rough up your engine (physics)

but i'm hoping to get at least 450+, which is still not up to par but it's okay, on my full tank or else i'm taking my benz back for complaints

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem along with the navigation problem. The dealer just shines me on, but I had two C230K loaners, same model as mine, and both showed over 30 mpg on local freeway driving (16 miles one way). Maybe both of these problems are tied together somehow. I have less than 1500 miles on a 2004. There must be some common denominator here.

·
Registered
'05 C230 Kompressor,
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mconde01 - 3/24/2005 1:05 PM

Same here...I have around 3500 miles on my car and I am getting 23-24 mpg. Mostly highway driving but I do step on it pretty often.. I brought this up to my dealer last time and I was in and they told me that the car needs to broken in for 5,000-7,000 miles to get the actual true mileage. We'll see...
that is BS---your dealer is also blowing smoke up your a$$, because i already have over 7K miles and my mileage is the same low number as yours

do they tell their reps what to say? do they just not care and hire people off the street...with no supervision?

·
Registered
'05 C230 Kompressor,
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well thanks for all the responses..i am glad i am not the only one going thru this....but on the other hand, it is SAD that they have pretty much "falsely advertised" the gas mileage for our cars...and then when you bring it up---they act like they dont care or that you are wasting their time.

·
Registered
05 c230 sport sedan
106 Posts
how far do you drive?
what speed do you drive at?
i get 34 mpg on the freeway to school everyday.(without traffic ofcourse). You must realize theres ALOT of factors. But yeah, tell me your speed, distance, and how frequently you stop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts