Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was just curious - as to if there is any way possible to stop the counting of miles. I mean, its computer generated, right? So what if you disconnect it, or can reset some numbers back to a different value? I'm not even talkin permanently, maybe just for a few months? HA. Thanks for the feedback - no smart comments please! [}:)]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think its a smart comment to tell you that is a good way to end up in jail. I had a Dodge Neon that blew a fuse and didn't keep track of the milage for a few months untill it needed an oil change and the dealership found out, the car was sold with a title that said something about the odometer milage not being the real milage. You are more likely to harm the value of your car more than help.

·
Registered
05 C230k ss benzo
29 Posts
I've also heard this, but there is some company in Michigan that sells some kind of chip that you switch for the one in your car or the counter, I'm not sure what it is. It allows you to stop counting miles and then when you need to service it or sell it you put the original piece back. It cost my neighbor $200 installed on a leased vehicle and she saved herself thousands in over mileage fees

·
Registered
05' C230k sedan
92 Posts
i'm not sure how MB is, but i know BMW has 3 different locations where the mileage is stored. the cluster itself, the headlight switch and the ABS computer. if one is off, a tamper light comes up on the cluster and will not shut off unless it's reset through BMW's tech computer. however, there is still people who know how to cutoff all three computers with a switch. i've heard people on other forums discuss it. not sure how it is w/ MB though. this info for BMW is in the Bently manual, or something like that. not that i encourage this, but i'd say your best bet would be to get the manual and see if it has these computers. if not, i'm guessing you could just buy a spare cluster or one from a junk yard and swap them back and forth. but be careful, consequences are pretty extreme. i inquired on one the MB forums about the tampering b/c i wanted to swap my cluster for the C55 AMG one, but got no responses. i'm not looking to stop my mileage though, just want to make sure it does not cause an illegal activity. i'll take it to MB if it needs to be programmed to match the mileage of the car.

·
Registered
93 Lexus SC300 TT
20 Posts
It is possible for you to replace the instrument cluster and get it reprogrammed with whatever mileage you want.. It would have to be done at a dealer though

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't do it... the risk is way too high. About a year ago three people locally were buying Canadian cars and converting the Kilometers to miles and in the process were rolling back the odometers and all three of them are now in prison and all lost their homes, lively hood and way more.

Pay the mileage penalty or just buy out the lease its way way cheaper!

·
Registered
05' C230k sedan
92 Posts
personally, i wouldn't do it either. have you been taking your car in for routine maintenance? if so, let's say you have a 3 year 36k mile lease. MB has your service file showing a 14k mile a year average yet you turn the car in only doing 8k the last year, it will raise a red flag. that will give them the suspicion to check for tampering. b/c it's becoming more and more common on newer cars, looking for indications of tampering is becoming more routine. if they suspect it, they will look into it further.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts