Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just the eeprom Jake.
Comes with a disc download.
U tube has good video to show how to do it.
I will be keeping my original intact just in case of slip ups.
Thanks to Deplore, at the start of this thread for the suggestion and I have searched for info on how to do it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just the eeprom Jake.
Comes with a disc download.
U tube has good video to show how to do it.
I will be keeping my original intact just in case of slip ups.
Thanks to Deplore, at the start of this thread for the suggestion and I have searched for info on how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_pps24HPA
From the looks of the video, it seems you'll have to remove the eeprom from the cluster. I guess that is where I am scared to do as there might be a problem that may arise thereafter. I was hoping just to plug it to our 38 pin diagnostic plug if there is one. But please give us a feedback if you do it. Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Donor cluster is of unknown mileage Jake, that is the problem, or it would be plug and play.
However, if the donor shows more than 194k then happy days.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,243 Posts
Doesn't matter, if donor cluster is the same as your current cluster, can just swap eeprom directly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Doesn't matter, if donor cluster is the same as your current cluster, can just swap eeprom directly.
Deplore, when you say same donor cluster, I presume you meant same part number?
Assuming both clusters have the same part number, you can swap eeproms to get your old cluster's mileage to the donor cluster? Will that be an easy thing to do without possible damage to the donor cluster?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,243 Posts
Same PCB. Same transistor, same mosfet, capacitor, MCU or what have you.

eeprom is a simple 8 legged chip. Use hot air to remove.

Look up youtube for guides.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok then, all done eventually.

A thank you to Deplore for the correct path to follow.

After many frustrating scans through e bay on a daily basis for a suitable unit (210 540 3448) on which the seller shows mileage, I decided to bite the bullet and alter my chip.
My donor speedo arrived, in bits due to bad packaging and rough handling by the carriers but I only wanted the chip anyway. It is a 93LC66 Microchip item.

The £16. programmer didn't work, couldn't get it to load on windows 7 as advertised. Sent it back and ordered a £50. one for windows 10 and eventually got it working after downloading the latest version of the manufacturers software.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-PERFORMANCE-TL866II-Mini-Pro-USB-Universal-Nand-Spi-Eeprom-Programmer-Ku/263533947544?epid=2091954188&hash=item3d5bd8ea98:g:ZK4AAOSwMKVcPLXN&frcectupt=true

I have not got a heat gun so I used a solder iron and solder with a method shown on youtube.

The chips in the Mercedes cluster are also glued in and without enough heat you can pull the chip and some of the tracks below come up also and destroy the cluster. Ask me how I know this!

So, on to a second donor cluster from e bay and more success this time.
Pulled the chip and read it. Then went onto DK forum and asked for help and was assisted very quickly by a very helpful and knowledgeable guy in Canada who gave me the hexadecimal code for my desired mileage and where to programme it in.
In these chips the first 2 lines are the mileage codes which are actually in Km. and translated by the cluster.

So all good, no not quite. The donor cluster which I now have at my desired mileage shows hydraulic fluid level fault. So back onto the internet for a Google search and it turns out the donor cluster is from a wagon although it has exactly the same part number. Pin I on the left socket of the cluster is the connection for the hydraulic fluid sensor so after opening the cluster again I soldered a link to pin I, and across the inside of the cluster to pin 3 at the right socket which is ground. This puts off the hydraulic warning.

All good, done and dusted. The last (I hope) bridge to be crossed in my 210 to 124 conversion.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts