Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a lot of grief with something that should be so simple.

My 124/210 conversion needs the 210 instrument head mileage increased by 20k to match the original w124.

Breaker yards have plenty of units but cannot tell the mileage stored on them.

Various mileage correction companies say they need the whole car but it is not yet road legal to take it to them.

Various e bay adverts saying post your instrument to us have not replies to my messages.

My Maxiecu doesn't support this procedure.

Where next???

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,241 Posts
If you have a xprog, you can do it yourself.

Mercedes E Class W210 VDO - 93c56
The mileage is stored in the next lines:
0000: FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7
0010: FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7 FE C7
where the next bytes:
FE C7 - is a mileage

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xprog?
Do you mean like a basic one from e bay?
Does the chip need to be de soldered or can it be done through the 38pins?

Thanks pal.

·
3,241 Posts
Yes, you're going to have to desolder it. You can't do anything through OBD or 38-pin...it's all manual correction in BIN files.

And yes, basic one.

Technically speaking you could fill up the mileage with all FF and then it'll be a "virgin" mileage, then possible to modify with autel....but never tried that.

·
3,241 Posts
I can't really point to a single definitive source, I used a whole bunch of different internet sources to learn how to modify the eeprom bin contents and translating from regular text to hex format. Most modules are encoded like this, and the cluster is no different.

Look up Toyota odometer correction, there's a bunch of guys who did a complete write up. Their principle is pretty much similar to this.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Deplore.

Still waiting for a cluster to show up on e bay from a w210 or w202 or w208 which has more than 194k. There are many to choose from but the breakers don't know the mileages!
However there is one at 199k from a 97 - 05 sprinter for £36 and I wonder if I can just change the chip into my cluster.
Worth a try for £36 ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-SPRINTER-SPEEDO-HEAD-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-1997-2005-A0014468721/273407139060?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

·
3,241 Posts
All clusters are different, so swapping chips won't work. That sprinter mileage is stored in different location, so cluster would be a dead brick.

Even within the same model, you can have three or more clusters with different eeprom and different mileage storage and encryption.

It's easier to get another cluster meant for your specific model.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Deplore.

Still waiting for a cluster to show up on e bay from a w210 or w202 or w208 which has more than 194k. There are many to choose from but the breakers don't know the mileages!
However there is one at 199k from a 97 - 05 sprinter for £36 and I wonder if I can just change the chip into my cluster.
Worth a try for £36 ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-SPRINTER-SPEEDO-HEAD-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-1997-2005-A0014468721/273407139060?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Are you needing a 1996-1999 IC or 2000-2002? The 2000-2002 can be corrected over 38-pin diagnostic connector, and I think the 1996-1999 can be as well, but would have to confirm. When I have the parts available to sell, my policy is typically to renew the cluster with a mileage value of "000000" and when sold, the buyer can adjust the mileage to the correct value, which can be performed by the dealer or Star Diagnostics/Xentry, as it appears to SDS that it is a new part that was just purchased at the parts counter so the software will treat it as one and you just perform an Initial Startup. I ensure all LCD displays and backlighting is working properly and replace the lighting with factory bulbs (slightly higher wattage bulbs melt the plastic).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Are you needing a 1996-1999 IC or 2000-2002? The 2000-2002 can be corrected over 38-pin diagnostic connector, and I think the 1996-1999 can be as well, but would have to confirm. When I have the parts available to sell, my policy is typically to renew the cluster with a mileage value of "000000" and when sold, the buyer can adjust the mileage to the correct value, which can be performed by the dealer or Star Diagnostics/Xentry, as it appears to SDS that it is a new part that was just purchased at the parts counter so the software will treat it as one and you just perform an Initial Startup. I ensure all LCD displays and backlighting is working properly and replace the lighting with factory bulbs (slightly higher wattage bulbs melt the plastic).
TiffanyTwisted, are you sure that it can be corrected over the 38 pin diagnostic connector? I have a w202 1996 C220 and I was hoping to correct the mileage value too as it is way over my original mileage. I am just afraid to have it done as it might give me other troubles. Only the Star Diagnostics can do this correction?

·
Registered
111 Posts
TiffanyTwisted, are you sure that it can be corrected over the 38 pin diagnostic connector? I have a w202 1996 C220 and I was hoping to correct the mileage value too as it is way over my original mileage. I am just afraid to have it done as it might give me other troubles. Only the Star Diagnostics can do this correction?
I cannot confirm as I have not personally done it on that year and model designation, however Star Diagnosis will only allow one change to the odometer value if the National Version is set for the US, and it must have less than 250 accumulated miles which is in line with US law. Did you order a replacement cluster and install it that had more mileage on it than what it was replacing?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I cannot confirm as I have not personally done it on that year and model designation, however Star Diagnosis will only allow one change to the odometer value if the National Version is set for the US, and it must have less than 250 accumulated miles which is in line with US law. Did you order a replacement cluster and install it that had more mileage on it than what it was replacing?
My original mileage was 155,550 km before the cluster went totally dead. I bought the replacement in Ebay form Germany and it had 369,556 km. Would you know if only the Star diagnostic can handle the correction?
I was thinking that if a later model car can be corrected, more so, the older model. that is if my conclusion is correct.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My original mileage was 155,550 km before the cluster went totally dead. I bought the replacement in Ebay form Germany and it had 369,556 km. Would you know if only the Star diagnostic can handle the correction?
I was thinking that if a later model car can be corrected, more so, the older model. that is if my conclusion is correct.
One would think, but that doesn't always apply ironically on Mercedes-Benz vehicles. For example, if programming a SmartKey for an EIS if someone misplaced all of them, it can be done much faster on a 2010 S-Class than a 1998 W210. The W210 is one of the most difficult ones to do, and it is not a problem on a W221 S-Class. What sense does that make!?!

Regarding correcting the mileage, I assume you have the value of the replacement cluster when you received it and installed it, therefore able to subtract that value from the current reading to calculate the total miles accumulated on the replacement cluster? Then add that value to what you know the original one was reading when it failed (it would be nearly impossible to get this exact without records of service close to the time it died). I would always err on the high side when trying to recollect the original cluster's reading to ensure you would not be misrepresenting the vehicle when you decide to trade or sell it.

I did some research and it does look like it can be corrected over the 38-pin diagnostic connector, but not with Star Diagnostics. You would need to have a specialized tool to perform the operation, and they are not inexpensive and cost prohibitive if you only intend on performing the operation one time on your car. Your options to correct this would be to send the cluster to a company that provides that service and allow them to do it and return it to you, or as mentioned before in this thread, if you are confident with electronics and soldering, perform the operation yourself, but that would require purchasing an EEPROM programmer for your computer (they are rather inexpensive, however). If you have not performed this kind of work in the past it I am not sure if I would take that route as the chance of causing a problem would be much higher, possibly rendering that replacement cluster dead.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One would think, but that doesn't always apply ironically on Mercedes-Benz vehicles. For example, if programming a SmartKey for an EIS if someone misplaced all of them, it can be done much faster on a 2010 S-Class than a 1998 W210. The W210 is one of the most difficult ones to do, and it is not a problem on a W221 S-Class. What sense does that make!?!

Regarding correcting the mileage, I assume you have the value of the replacement cluster when you received it and installed it, therefore able to subtract that value from the current reading to calculate the total miles accumulated on the replacement cluster? Then add that value to what you know the original one was reading when it failed (it would be nearly impossible to get this exact without records of service close to the time it died). I would always err on the high side when trying to recollect the original cluster's reading to ensure you would not be misrepresenting the vehicle when you decide to trade or sell it.

I did some research and it does look like it can be corrected over the 38-pin diagnostic connector, but not with Star Diagnostics. You would need to have a specialized tool to perform the operation, and they are not inexpensive and cost prohibitive if you only intend on performing the operation one time on your car. Your options to correct this would be to send the cluster to a company that provides that service and allow them to do it and return it to you, or as mentioned before in this thread, if you are confident with electronics and soldering, perform the operation yourself, but that would require purchasing an EEPROM programmer for your computer (they are rather inexpensive, however). If you have not performed this kind of work in the past it I am not sure if I would take that route as the chance of causing a problem would be much higher, possibly rendering that replacement cluster dead.
That was quite a good observation and I believe you've a lot of experience on that. I was contemplating on removing the eeprom from the old cluster and resolder to the current cluster. I am not capable of doing it but can ask someone with that capacity to solder if it will be 100% possible to retain the old mileage to the current cluster. Would you have any idea if that is possible? Just wary on doing it, as you said as it might cause a bigger problem. Would you know what the specialized tool could be?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jake, I wish I had the opportunity you have for a quick soldering job to solve the problem.
The clusters from Europe are many on e bay but no use to me as I am in miles, not KMs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jake, I wish I had the opportunity you have for a quick soldering job to solve the problem.
The clusters from Europe are many on e bay but no use to me as I am in miles, not KMs.
boyd waugh, I believe you are referring to the part number (2105403448) of your cluster? If you get to find a similar one, it would be in miles as well. Anyway, I had the same problem as you had before until I finally decided to get whatever was available in the market so I can just use the car. Although as much as I want to have the same mileage as what I originally have, I would rather take that risk of having a high mileage cluster than not using the car instead. I am hoping though that I can do something about it that is why I am asking around if resoldering the eeprom of the old cluster to the current cluster is possible and have the old mileage back as long as it will not give other problems thereafter. If I cannot have that assurance, I guess I will have to be contented with what I have.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, sensible, showing the mileage to give somebody a plug and play.

This evening I have ordered from e bay a copy of my own speedo head for £19.00, mileage unknown and an eeprog programmer for £16.00.

I'll report back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, sensible, showing the mileage to give somebody a plug and play.

This evening I have ordered from e bay a copy of my own speedo head for £19.00, mileage unknown and an eeprog programmer for £16.00.

I'll report back.
When you purchase an eeprom programmer, would it be an easy procedure to do to redo your mileage counter? Do you also need a Star diagnostic to do that or only the eeprom programmer would suffice?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts