Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

First post here and I've been lurking for a few weeks and I'm about to enter your world...

First off, a little bit about me. I live in Canada (Ay! Winter!) and I'm 19, turning 20 in a few weeks. I'm also a Ford guy, to the dislike of some people here probably. I used to drive '91 Town Car, traded it and then bought a '00 Grand Marquis. I loved it. Had a few issues (Air suspension being one of them, as well as rust) but overall loved the quality of the product, the comfort, the premium sound system and the cheap labor/parts. I also have a 1977 Continental in Town Car trim with optional moonroof. I'm currently a sales rep in an office but I want to become either A) Realtor B) Car Salesman. With either of those, appearence is important, which is one of the reasons I'm thinking about an S-Class.

So, here's my case.

I drive 13k miles per year. There's an '03 Town Car Cartier Premium for 10k with 79k miles. It's got heated seats, cd changer so it means premium sound system. As a drummer of 12 years, I must have a good quality sound system. The TC has Memory Seats but no telescopic steering (would really be useful). And there's that S430, 2000, with 90k miles for 10k also. For the Town Car, I'd have to pay 1250$ extra for taxes since it's not 10 years old or more. So that brings it to 11250 vs 10k for the S430. The Lincoln has a lot less horse power and only a 4 speed transmission. Both of them have a sunroof. What I like about the S430 is the memory seats that probably adjust the steering, shade for the back window, better comfort and better driving feel (american boat vs german saloon). Better exterior look also.

From what I've read, the air suspension is the main problem with the early S430's but the Lincoln also has air suspension so it's even I'd say. I know for a fact that the transmission in the TC isn't that great after some time.

Since I'm going to work with the public, I think appearence and prestige is quite important and I honestly think the Lincoln can't win against an S-Class. Here, it's more a Grand-father's car so it's not too prestigious I'd say. Being a car enthusiast, I need to have great driving sensations and as much as I can recall from my Grand Marquis, it wasn't really sporty. The interior of the Merc is also a lot less boring, with more high-end material and better feeling overall.

I have 10k to spend on the car but could stretch to about 11.5k but in terms of repair, I don't want to good higher than 1000 to a 1500, including maintenance, per year. I plan on keeping the car at least 4-5 years, to give me the time to get a down payment on a house. Also, for everything business related, I think the S430 is a better choice.

Lets say all of the recalls for the Merc were done, I'd like to know what would be the best choice for me.

Thanks!

Attached : somewhat old pics of my 77!

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Try to avoid the manufacture year 2000 as the was the introduction into service for the 220 and had the most problems. Younger the better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ebay's a no go simply because of the customs so my market is pretty limited and I don't have 2-3 months because my current car is not safe for winter (which should be here in at best in 3-4 weeks). The only other option I have is a 14k 70k miles s430 and it's a 2002 but I'd have to pay taxes on an '02 so it's like 4k more expensive than the Town Car...

Is a 2000 that bad? If I can't afford really more than 10k for the car so it's either that 2000 or the Lincoln... There's 4 S-Class for less 15k on my local ad network. '00 90k miles @ $10k, 2 '02's at 13.5k each, both at 70/71k miles and an overpriced '01 with 132k miles and they want 12.5k for it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Looking up on the internet, I stumbled upon this and even though it's not a bible, it says they all had the same MAF sensor from 00 to 04. It also states Valve Cover Gaskets as a possible issue for '03.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
With the 2000 check the service history first, and look for Airmatic repairs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the 2000 check the service history first, and look for Airmatic repairs.
I'll make a copy of the service/repairs history and I'll post it here, that way if there's anything that is proned to failure and hasn't been replaced, I'll know what to look for. I'll also have an inspection done by a mechanic that does german cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are 2 new S430's. They're both 2001, one at 10k but with 124k miles and another that's too high for my budget, right at 12.5k but it's got 89k.

I could probably wait until January before getting the car (since to avoid paying taxes)

Is going from '00 to '01 worth having 33k miles more?

Thanks everyone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts