Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1991 190E 2.6L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing my first Benz, and could use a little advice.

The car I'm looking at is a 1991 190E 2.6L with 109000 miles. Apparently, the waterpump and fanbelt were recently replaced. I'm not aware of any other major work having been done.

The things I'm wondering most about are:

1. Does $3000 seem reasonable for this car, assuming it's in pretty good shape with that mileage?

2. Does this model have any problems I should watch for? (e.g. does one usually have to replace a timing belt and generally at what mileage? other major issues that are typical? or things I should be sure to check?)

3. How is this model, generally, in terms of performance and reliability?

Thanks,
Scott

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Buy it!-read the message

I bought mine with 72K miles on it and I'm approaching 197K fast!

I have a 1991 190E 2.6 too and I love the thing.
3000 is not bad, however if you've got the cash look around maybe you'll find on with 70-80K miles on it. I haven o clue how much driving you do a year but mine has served me well.

replaced:
battery
tires
brakes
Alternator (my battery had a short and wrecked it)
dist cap & rotor
Valve cover gasket
Windshield (turnpike driving does this)

all the above are normal wear and tear.
There was a gasket leak when I purchased it however the seller fixed it and I'm happy.

It depends on what you're looking for, if its reliablility, smoking people on the highway (excellent pickup from 40 mph and up, especially on hills)very smooth at 115-120 mph. I've been rearended at 20 mph and suffered no damage, the other guys front end was cracked! I'm looking for another car just incase (being stranded here at work sucks when you live so far away). So I'm thinking maybe another 190E.

· Registered
1991 190E 2.6L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool...

Well, if the one I'm looking at managed the next 90K miles with a similar list of work, I'd certainly be happy with it! [8D]

I would consider waiting to see if one with lower miles comes up, but being a grad student, with only a dying motorcycle to get me around, that $3000 is pretty much the top end of my budget right now. [:(] So, the way I'm looking at it is that it still has far less driving on it than would be average (assuming an average of about 15K/yr).

I'm going to take a look at it tonight... and if it looks good, I'll probably go for it... one drawback though, it's currently on ebay, so I'll just have to control myself if it gets into a bidding war!

Thanks for the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.