Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this has all developed over the course of the day, but some outside perspective would be appreciated.

I'm not super experienced with W202s, but I've always had a thing for them (and Saabs) and sort of casually peruse Craigslist just in case something jumps out at me. This morning I spotted a cherry red '95 C220 just a couple miles away from me. Former estate sale, 73k miles, $4500. High price but the pictures make it seem like a museum piece. I drove it this morning.

A fuse blew and knocked out the rear windows and hazards. The #4 fan speed button is broken. Somebody cut the cable to the car alarm. Everything else works. The body is immaculate — it's never been so much as dinged. I'm guessing garaged its whole life. The current (third) owner (who I actually sort of knew from somewhere, which was a surprise) picked it up in July of last year from an estate sale. Carfax is clean. Took it on the highway, threw it around a bit, and honestly it drives like it left the showroom floor yesterday.

I took it to a mechanic who wrote up a pretty brief list of items, most of which he claimed were routine fixes for these things, but I did want to run them by you guys just in case they are signs of some deeper dysfunction:
  • Leaky power steering hose.
  • Rear diff has an oil leak.
  • The wheel alignment is off and it pulls slightly to the right.
I am about to pull the trigger on this car, maybe see if I can bring it down to $4k. I'm attaching some pictures as well. It's honestly one of the best W202s I've ever seen. But curious what you all think.

Attachments

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,393 Posts
Welcome, :)

Looks and mileage can be deceiving...
Harness issue is the main concern, imo for these older w202s.
And most likely, finding a replacement oem is near impossible, so they have to be rebuilt IF you can find a knowledgeable indie capable of doing so. And it wont be cheap - if you do a search on this forum, there was a recent discuss on the harness matter (probably regarding an AMG C32 c36 and the conclusion was $2-3k (surmising only with my lack of recall) and the known harness rebuilder ended his enterprise on these harnesses.
But you be the judge, $$$ find and most likely the harness will be an i$$u$e sooner than later with these 25+ yo MBs.

GL.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,582 Posts
price too high for a 95 c220 no matter how showroom-like it seems. make sure the engine harness has been redone else that's a $2000 deduction.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,582 Posts
easy. the harness goes almost everywhere. check points... injectors, throttle body, most sensors, etc.

I believe the transmission harness may be affected in some models as well. if that's the case another $1000 deduction.

Go buy a lexus instead. but again, you like saabs. so you might just like punishing yourself :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
easy. the harness goes almost everywhere. check points... injectors, throttle body, most sensors, etc.

I believe the transmission harness may be affected in some models as well. if that's the case another $1000 deduction.

Go buy a lexus instead. but again, you like saabs. so you might just like punishing yourself :)
Nail on the head there. I'm a glutton for punishment and my tastes are problematic. I'm honestly not deterred by the challenge of finding someone to redo the harness if it needs to be replaced. But I am concerned about price and will try to bring it down accordingly. I have an excellent local mechanic who I believe has experience with these W202s and thus probably knows his way around it, or at least might have some advice. In any case I'll probably go for it. But if I eat my decision later, well, at least you folks will be there to watch in amusement as this car ruins my life or whatever. Btw, it was serviced pretty vigilantly and it sounds like at least one owner was a semi-enthusiast, but I'll check the actual harness tomorrow to see what kind of shape it's in.

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,784 Posts
Easiest spot to find the crumbling harness is at the fuel injection connectors, (alot of heat right there above the engine). Give them a wiggle where they go into the connector. If they crumble, its toast, if they dont, its likely its been replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts