Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
US 1991 560SEL
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a 1991 560 SEL with a great body and interior. However, the last time it was driven, the idler mount for the AC compressor belt broke and the idler took the belts and a few fan blades with it. The car was then driven some afterwards until the driver got scared of the temperature gauge. Now, it's been sitting for a few months. I saw it yesterday and looked under the oil cap to see a bit of sludge and blackened cam lobes. Should I assume this engine is toast or can I break it down and with the help of a 5 gallon pail of carburetor cleaner get it all clean enough?

http://i.imgur.com/g50Gv.jpg

On a side note, I have an 85 500 SEL with a good engine and bad body. Would that engine bolt into this car easier than fixing the possible overheat damage? Is the piece where the idler pulley mounted replaceable and would that be the same piece on both cars?
Thanks!
--AkkerKid

·
Registered
560 SEC
100 Posts
I'm breaking a 560 SEC at the moment, looks like im going to be parting the engine so i have any bits you may need :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
Hmm, you can always get a new engine, but finding a 1991 model with great interior is a lot harder. I would see if it starts ok etc and probably take a chance on it. Can you give the cooling system a pressure test to check for blown HG?

My mechanic friend told me it's possible to replace the oil in the engine with diesel and run a car for a short while to clear out sludge, which I guess is what you have there. I haven't tried, but if you don't have much to loose, maybe a good idea. The cam doesn't look too happy!

·
Registered
US 1991 560SEL
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between the forums and the guys I know locally, the consensus is that if the engine can be brought back to life it'd be a miracle. :crybaby2: So if I get the car at all, it would be for the body and I'd just put my 500 engine into it...
Does anyone know how hard it would be to bolt the 85 500 engine into the 91 560 body? Should I swap the transmission too at that rate?

·
Registered
560 SEC
100 Posts
Transmissions are the same, however to save splitting yours it's probilly easier to use your 500 Trans. It's probilly easier to drop the engine and trans with subframe and replace on the subframe.

·
Registered
US 1991 560SEL
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I'm going to go for it. The guy is selling me the car for a few hundred over what he'd get from the junk yard and he's delivering it to me 80 miles away. I'm going to pop some new belts and a fan on it and see if a hundred bucks and some diesel can get some of the gunk out... I doubt I'll get far but it won't hurt too much to try it. :rolleyes: In the mean time, I'm going to prep my donor car for the transplant. Hopefully I can put the engine in without having to break apart the AC hoses. That'll be my small victory. Is it possible to lift the engine and trans out of the top or do I have to lift the car off of the engine?

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Unfortunately you will have to break the A/C. You will have to remove the radiator to have room to pull the engine and trans out over the radiator support in both cars.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
Great! Best of luck and post up how you get on :)

Actually maybe research that diesel suggestion, I can't find much info on that. Check under the cam cover for sludge, this might cause big problems since it was overheated. Maybe a flush might cause sludge to block the oil pickup strainer.

Here's a video on how to remove manually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts