Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I found a '95 S500 Coupe with 57,000 miles. From the pictures it seems to be in excellent condition and a price of $21k is giving me an incentive to make the purchase. Do you guys know of anything I should be concerned with? I'd be flying down and driving it about 1800 miles home.

Mileage: 57,163 Miles
Engine: 5.0L V8 EFI
Transmission: 4 SP Automatic

This Non-Smoker's Car Comes Fully Loaded With All Power Including 5.0 Liter V-8 Engine, Power Sliding Glass Moonroof, Wood Interior Trim, Leather Seating, Dual Power Heated Front & Rear Seats With Memory, Traction Control, Premium Audio With AM/FM/Stereo Cassette & 6 Disc CD Changer, Power Rear Shade, And Aluminum Alloy Wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Nice looking S500 is this from a dealership or from a private owner?
do you have all the service sheets.. and a record of any repairs..
Have the oil and filters changed before you drive any distance..
lift the hood and check below the wipers for debris.. a good point if they tell you its been kept inside all its life..
check the tyre pressures and increase them to 38 all round.. find out if you have the goodies pack.. active suspension speed sensitive steering..etc., for 21K you ought to haggle down a bit.. when you drive it listen for the change from 2 to 3 gear.. remember these cars start in 2 no clunk or jerk..and it will take at least 5 mins of slow driving before the gearbox warms up.. check the Aircon..when on fresh should blow a frozen gale at you.. make sure no lights come on on the instrument panel.. and than none have been removed..get a pic of the center console and post it on here..helps identify the bits and peices..oh and last.. if you buy.. be happy and enjoy yourself with it..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the info! The car is at a dealer and they seem to be pretty firm on the price. I'm going to go over some of the questions that you mentioned. Don't need any surprizes on the ride home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done! Just commited to the purchase so I'll probably be flying to TX next week and driving it back to MA.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Good luck w/ it..You're still in the territory for harness issues, EZL's frying and exaporator replacement. My rule of thumb, if you are going to pick up a 140, go mid 96 and later.

Also, you are getting into FSS and lifetime fill transmission bunk. You want one that has been maintained by an enthusiast as opposed to what the factory recomends. Check that the trans fluid has been changed at Least once, and hopefully the oil changed some where in the realm of every 3K on dino, 5 for synthetic.
Has the coolant been changed every 2 years? Brake fluid flushed every spring?

If you can not find what/if any of this has been done I would do a complete fluid change. Engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, coolant, hyd. fluid, diff. fluid.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Congrats. Looks great cosmetically. Heed advice to change all fluids unless

you have records showing it's been done.

Be aware of engine wiring harness issues and AC evaporator issues as already mentioned.

Brett

·
Registered
'95 S500 Coupe (Sold), '86 420SEL (Sold), '06 ML320CDi, '87 300E (Sold), '90 500SEL, '90 300E-24
94 Posts
congratulations, it looks like a beatuiful example, I hope you enjoy the drive home. I saw the car on a website a few weeks ago and thought it looked pretty sharp. Hoping to confirm the purchase of my blue/beige s500 copue '95 in a few weeks time.

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
Looks good... at least on pics.

One thing you might want to take into account is that this is a PRE-facelift example.

The comestic facelift offered redesigned door panels, minor changes on the instruments, new rear lamps, xenon-headlights on most makerts, new body side mouldings and front and rear bumpers.

But most importantly, from 1996 model year on, the M119 engine (5.0 liter V8) had some substantial changes done to its architecture, providing it with better mileage, smoother operation, and (believe it or not) easier maintenance and reliability.

You may take these facts to dealer as bargaining point in lowering the price is you are really interested in this particular car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a fairly recent S500 coupe owner and, to make you feel at ease about your purchase: I've owned just about everything on wheels. Seven Ferraris, four Lamborghinis, a dozen MBZs, including a 6.3 and a 6.9, every modern Porsche and BMW, etc. I absolutely love my S500 coupe. I can't really put a finger on why, but driving it makes me smile. I have a BMW M5 that sits in the garage now. I have a new Jaguar--I gave it to my wife. I drive my '97 S500 coupe. I love it.

There are maintanence issues, but it's well worth it. It is just a wonderful car. You may be able to buy an extended warranty. If so I'd recommend it. But I think you will enjoy this car, I do.

M.D. Moore

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the info! I already made the purchase and will be flying down to TX next week. All of the reviews that I've read have been good so hopefully everything will be good. It has low miles and feedback for the company it's coming from is excellent. You can see the full listing at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4545842789&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

I'm thinking about going with a set of silver or chrome 18" AMG Monoblock wheels -

Any suggestions on where to pick up a set?

·
Registered
2006 S430
12 Posts
Which wheels did you decide on?Are they worth the $$$$? I have a 95S500 also and just love it aside from some the the minor luxury features that are giving me fits. ENJOY!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts