Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been several years since I've been on the forum, as I had to sell my W202. However, I am in the market to purchase a vehicle, and I've been eyeballing this old 4-spd '67 Merc 230 on eBay. According to the seller, this vehicle sat without running for 4 years, but after after new oil and fuel filters, new gas and oil, and a new battery, it fired right up. Despite this, the seller says there is a fair amount of lifter chatter, but that it is a solid-running engine. I'm looking for any information about this particular model (including chasis number, as several locations tell me it's a W111 or a W113), and especially anything about normal engine noise (some engines are just noisy [*cough* Volga]) and the suspension. Are there any known electrical issues (like the exciting Jaguar flaming dash of 80's and 90's), or carburetor quirks?

In my 1995 W202 (C280), many things were controlled by vacuum lines, and they failed all the time. Will I be getting into a similar situation with this old Merc?

Thanks in advance to any info provided.

Link to eBay Item

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
That's a W110 if it helps your research. Good luck!
My engine was slightly "clattery" when I got my car but I added zinc lubricant additive to the oil and it quieted down substantially, so much in fact that I know when to do my oil changes by ear!

·
Registered
1995 C280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, in my research, this is quite a reliable machine, and the 4spd manual seems very popular. There seems to be a few MB parts folks out there that supply parts for it, but I question them when they say they have an ECU upgrade kit for the engine, lol!

·
Registered
1981 300TD 360k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
647 Posts
I love my 230. It's a w110 chassis, same as the 200 but with a six cylinder engine. It is surprisingly peppy with the m180 engine and has a wonderful ride. Dead easy to work on. 18mpg or so. Many mechanical parts are available online and the Classic Center has many hard-to-find odds and ends. 13" tires will be hard to source and the rear brake shoes will have to be relined as I've never been able to find a new set.

The car appears to have Solex carbs (which is odd because it should have Zeniths based on the year) but that's good as it is a much simpler assembly and easier to rebuild/adjust. My Solexs' evaporate gas from the float bowl so it can be hard to start after sitting for a while, although with my Carter electric fuel pump I just wait until I hear air bubble out in the tank from the return line. You'll probably have issues with rubber suspension parts and various seals unless they've been serviced recently. The only things controlled with vacuum are the brake booster, the distributor advance, and the transmission. There are no lifters, but the valves could be out of adjustment. Use a 15w--40 rated diesel oil and you'll be giving the engine what it needs. There are many grease points on the chassis and drive train.

Rust of course is something to watch out for. Floorboards, lower fenders, around the headlights, door bottoms, and a crossbrace in the front that the fenders mount to.

Even though the car is a head-turner and a real pleasure to drive, the model does not fetch much of a price. I paid $1500 two years ago for a rust-free California example and that's about at the higher end of prices even now. Introduced in 1966, it was second from the bottom in the MB lineup and can only be described as utilitarian--that's fine, it's one of the things I admire about the car. It shares most of its parts and heritage with the longer and more fully appointed w111 sedans. Check out this website:

http://www.heckflosse.nl/Default.htm

The ECU they are referring to must be the electronic ignition (aftermarket) mounted on the firewall. That car appears real solid and mostly original. Looks to have a more recent brake booster. It would be great if you could see underneath. But you don't often see such good examples of this model on ebay.

·
Registered
1995 C280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love my 230. It's a w110 chassis, same as the 200 but with a six cylinder engine. It is surprisingly peppy with the m180 engine and has a wonderful ride. Dead easy to work on. 18mpg or so. Many mechanical parts are available online and the Classic Center has many hard-to-find odds and ends. 13" tires will be hard to source and the rear brake shoes will have to be relined as I've never been able to find a new set.

The car appears to have Solex carbs (which is odd because it should have Zeniths based on the year) but that's good as it is a much simpler assembly and easier to rebuild/adjust. My Solexs' evaporate gas from the float bowl so it can be hard to start after sitting for a while, although with my Carter electric fuel pump I just wait until I hear air bubble out in the tank from the return line. You'll probably have issues with rubber suspension parts and various seals unless they've been serviced recently. The only things controlled with vacuum are the brake booster, the distributor advance, and the transmission. There are no lifters, but the valves could be out of adjustment. Use a 15w--40 rated diesel oil and you'll be giving the engine what it needs. There are many grease points on the chassis and drive train.

Rust of course is something to watch out for. Floorboards, lower fenders, around the headlights, door bottoms, and a crossbrace in the front that the fenders mount to.

Even though the car is a head-turner and a real pleasure to drive, the model does not fetch much of a price. I paid $1500 two years ago for a rust-free California example and that's about at the higher end of prices even now. Introduced in 1966, it was second from the bottom in the MB lineup and can only be described as utilitarian--that's fine, it's one of the things I admire about the car. It shares most of its parts and heritage with the longer and more fully appointed w111 sedans. Check out this website:

The Mercedes Heckflosse (or Fintail) Homepage

The ECU they are referring to must be the electronic ignition (aftermarket) mounted on the firewall. That car appears real solid and mostly original. Looks to have a more recent brake booster. It would be great if you could see underneath. But you don't often see such good examples of this model on ebay.
The guy emailed me the following photos. I saw what you mean about the rubber suspension fittings. He says the suspension is a little creaky, and should be fine at in-town speeds, but doesn't recommend interstate speeds until it's lubricated. Thank you, Carpenterman, for your thoughts! Do these photos look about what you'd expect? (I thought there was a bit less rust than I'd expected from a '67 in Wisconsin. We salt our roads.)

·
Registered
1981 300TD 360k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
647 Posts
Looks pretty decent. I can't believe it was driven much in salt. There may be some more rust under the undercoating but it appears to be mostly surface. Floorboard looks the worst, although the rockers may be bad.

The shocks look old and the area around the swing axle boot looks pretty dark so that may be leaking.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy this car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts