Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I am interested in getting Midcity engineering's remote starter installed(they call it smartkeystarter) in my 09 C300 luxury sedan. I gave them a call and they confirmed that no cutting of wires is involved and it is just plug and play. so warranty issues. MB dealer asked $1500 and local installer asked $975. With $775 being the price of the product itself, $975 sounds reasonable to me. anyone got it installed recently?? any review will be helpful..

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes I have Mid City Engineering Smart starter. I use it every day. It is the only option Mercedes Benz has been missing. You start car by tapping panic button on factory Smart key. Their is a option to add Viper smart starter module to Midcity Engineering Smart starter. You can Lock, Unlock open trunk, and start car from any distance with your IPhone. I have this and I can not live without it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hello all,
I am interested in getting Midcity engineering's remote starter installed(they call it smartkeystarter) in my 09 C300 luxury sedan. I gave them a call and they confirmed that no cutting of wires is involved and it is just plug and play. so warranty issues. MB dealer asked $1500 and local installer asked $975. With $775 being the price of the product itself, $975 sounds reasonable to me. anyone got it installed recently?? any review will be helpful..

Thanks.
I got this done recently and I love it! I got a hook up where I got it done for $600. I was told the parts and the module alone is $400. Everything is plug and play. The guy did it in about 30-40 minutes. He told me that if I ever get another Mercedes, I can take it with me. Or even sell it on its own. It is completely reversible.
You can start the car with a push of the panic button. When the car is started by the remote, if you push the panic button again, it will shut off the engine. It will also run only for 15 minutes if you happen to have it remote started by accident. You can also turn the remote start function off (valet or service mode). After turning the remote start function back on from a valet/service mode, you must start the car with your smartkey in order to sync up the codes again. Hope this helps you make your decision. I know it is a bit pricey.......

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got this done recently and I love it! I got a hook up where I got it done for $600. I was told the parts and the module alone is $400. Everything is plug and play. The guy did it in about 30-40 minutes. He told me that if I ever get another Mercedes, I can take it with me. Or even sell it on its own. It is completely reversible.
You can start the car with a push of the panic button. When the car is started by the remote, if you push the panic button again, it will shut off the engine. It will also run only for 15 minutes if you happen to have it remote started by accident. You can also turn the remote start function off (valet or service mode). After turning the remote start function back on from a valet/service mode, you must start the car with your smartkey in order to sync up the codes again. Hope this helps you make your decision. I know it is a bit pricey.......
Any chance you could share where you got the hook-up from? I've wanted one for years but their asking price is astronomical. $400 is a hell of a lot more reasonable! I'm also located in NY.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to get one installed. I got the quote for ~$1000. Where did you get it installed???I am from NJ.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any chance you could share where you got the hook-up from? I've wanted one for years but their asking price is astronomical. $400 is a hell of a lot more reasonable! I'm also located in NY.
I'm sorry but I can't say more than my cousin (or else i will get in trouble) works at a Benz dealer and $600 is the price the vendor charges them to do the remote start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you confirm that the device was from midcity engineering?? when i called them, they said just the device itself is ~$795..

·
Registered
43 Posts
can you confirm that the device was from midcity engineering?? when i called them, they said just the device itself is ~$795..
Yes, I watched the guy take the module out from a sealed bubble protected bag and he gave me the remote starter's instruction that is from mid city engineering. The guy who installed it for me works for one a company where mercedes dealers outsource their installations to. So I assume he has some sort of connections.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Makes sense. Most of these companies do this. They hugely inflate the price for the end user. This is why I will never buy their product. It's a shame too, because they have no idea how much profit they're losing. Selling the product at $800 a pop on their website probably nets them a profit of $500 per sale. If they sold it for $400 on their website maybe they'd make $100 profit per sale. Sales would probably increase more than enough to offset the reduction in profit. Oh well. I'll wait until a competitor forces their price down and then buy one, even if that takes 5 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Remote Starter all Mercedes Models

Once again a big misconception some people seems to think retailers make loads of money! Can i just say a few things, being a aftermarket electronics dealer for 20 years the days of any markup on product is gone, thanks to the internet we have seen magins and markups disapear, i am lucky if i make 5 to 10 percent markup, comsider my time to do orders, cost of stocking products, shipping cost and if i have a warranty issue i need to pay shipping to get a replacement or repair i make nothing really on product, Labor is how we stay in business. We have done a few of these Mid city remote starters and also being a C Class owner with the Starter/Smartstarter addition, even i choked when i added up my costs ! and i had to beg my distibutor to give me a discount. I am still over $500 cost in parts. Aside from every other starter we install this is by far the nicest product and have had zero issues! i think if anyone can get this installed for under $750 incl Tax in Canada do it ! thats what i charge Mercedes Benz dealers. Well if anyone has any questions about Mercedes remote starters just ask.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could anyone scan and post the instructions/manual you get with the Mercedes Starter? I'm wondering how you change features on it. Eg. Default Runtime is 15min, but how would you change that to 20? 25?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Could anyone scan and post the instructions/manual you get with the Mercedes Starter? I'm wondering how you change features on it. Eg. Default Runtime is 15min, but how would you change that to 20? 25?

Thanks
You can not change runtime. These units are preprogrammed at MidCity Engineering. You would have to custom order it with a different run time from midCity Engineering.
Thanks,
Louis

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are there any "options" to adjust?

Do the add on remotes program themselves (lock/unlock/trunk release) after you program the start function?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You do not need add on remotes. You use factory remote key. You tap panic put ton once and car starts. You can then unlock doors with factory remote when car is running. This is a great system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The factory remote working distance is minimal. Add-on remotes have ranges of up to 1 mile now. ...sometimes you want to start your car from inside your work/mall/etc. and why not get this feature installed at the same time when everything is apart.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I installed the Drone Mobile. The Drone Mobile plugs into Dataport of remote start and you can remote start and lock and unlock doors and pop trunk from any distance using your Iphone or android phone. If you want to add remotes you will have to purchase remote interface and plug that in to data port.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't want the drone mobile.. I would like a simple remote add on. Eg. Compustar RF-1WG5-SS Remote and Antenna Kit (Google it).

Does the SmartKey Starter "learn" this remote very easily? Is it plug and play? Simple programming?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't want the drone mobile.. I would like a simple remote add on. Eg. Compustar RF-1WG5-SS Remote and Antenna Kit (Google it).

Does the SmartKey Starter "learn" this remote very easily? Is it plug and play? Simple programming?
Yes installation is very easy. You simply plug the Antenna kit plug into the Antenna port on the MidCity Engineering remote start. To program remotes you simply turn ing on and off three times, you then press any button on remote and your done. The remote will lock,Unlock, pop trunk, and start car from 1 mile distance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes installation is very easy. You simply plug the Antenna kit plug into the Antenna port on the MidCity Engineering remote start. To program remotes you simply turn ing on and off three times, you then press any button on remote and your done. The remote will lock,Unlock, pop trunk, and start car from 1 mile distance.
I've been doing some reading and thought this was the case. Thanks for the reply! I'm ready to buy and install this on my own (I've always enjoyed doing stuff like this on my own and I'm pretty confident I can do it). I wish I could just find the unit at a reasonable price! I think the mark up on the unit is too much.

Last Question (I think): So there's no other "options" with the unit? Eg. Turning on heated seats and steering wheel in the winter (off in the summer). I doubt this is the case but just wondering.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been doing some reading and thought this was the case. Thanks for the reply! I'm ready to buy and install this on my own (I've always enjoyed doing stuff like this on my own and I'm pretty confident I can do it). I wish I could just find the unit at a reasonable price! I think the mark up on the unit is too much.

Last Question (I think): So there's no other "options" with the unit? Eg. Turning on heated seats and steering wheel in the winter (off in the summer). I doubt this is the case but just wondering.
No theirs no other options. The only thing you will need is a ing. Lock remover tool. This makes installation easer. This tool removes ing. Switch and you simply unplug harness from switch and plug into t harness and plug t harness back to ing. Switch and your done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts