Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
IMHO an old cessna "tail dragger" is a hell of a lot more fun, than the newest Maybach
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guess its a mid-life crisis, but after driving the 300d for 20+ years (basically since my university days), I want something a bit more sporty!

While surfing the web found

Mercedes Motoring — classic mercedes-benz, lovingly restored

and they have my dream car, sort of...

Here's the deal, they have a 1984 300cd for sale which IMHO is a body style I've always liked and wanted, but I don't like automatic transmissions.

Since I have two 300d stick shifts, what I'd like to do is ask ya all how hard/expensive would it be to swap the engine and manual transmission from my 1978 300d into a 1984 300cd?

BTW anyone here know these guys in LA?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
I want something a bit more sporty!

Since I have two 300d stick shifts, what I'd like to do is ask ya all how hard/expensive would it be to swap the engine and manual transmission from my 1978 300d into a 1984 300cd?
These two statements don't match.

Engine + transmission swap is easy enough. The 1984 300CD has a 3.07 differential, but the 1978 300D can handle that (if you don't do a lot of mountain driving), otherwise you have to swap the differential too. Glow plug electrics are a bit different. Climate control is different, but if you have the two vehicles it is probably not a big problem. The 1984 can have the tachometer pickup on the flywheel, the 1978-300D does not have that, so the tachometer has to be swapped.

This is what I can come up with. The devil is in the detail.

·
Registered
1984 300 CD
26 Posts
Those prices are through the roof. You can search and find better suited examples for doing a 4 sp swap and a greatly reduced price.
I have a 1984 300CD and with the automatic it moves out pretty well. I live in Florida so that helps also. I did drive it to Va and it did well up there too. Glad I don't have to drive the twists everyday over the mountain to my Sister's house though.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
I need that SLC. Just sayin..

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
I agree, $24,500.00 is WAY high. I'm sure those he's selling are "like new" and all ready to go, but still. They do look very nice I must admit. And if we could buy a brand new 300CD or 300D, $24,500.00 is a bargan.

BUT, the market is what it is and very fine examples are out there for under $10k. And if you pick-up on one of those $10k pampered W123's out there and throw another $5k into it at a dealer to bring the servce up to date or whatever, your still $10k ahead.

But, I supose there's those out there in the L.A. area who don't mind spending $25k on a freshened up cream-puff.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
As far as I know we don't have 300CDs in this country,or SLs etc with diesels. However unless your mid-life crises started in your 70's then a 300CD is not what I'd call a mid-life crises car.......Get something that does 0-60 in less than half an hour! (slight exaggeration) Although the coupe is a fantastic looking car......Get something with some real grunt...You only live once..........Please be aware I'm not trying to cause offence.:)

·
Registered
IMHO an old cessna "tail dragger" is a hell of a lot more fun, than the newest Maybach
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I know we don't have 300CDs in this country,or SLs etc with diesels. However unless your mid-life crises started in your 70's then a 300CD is not what I'd call a mid-life crises car.......Get something that does 0-60 in less than half an hour! (slight exaggeration) Although the coupe is a fantastic looking car......Get something with some real grunt...You only live once..........Please be aware I'm not trying to cause offence.:)
checked out a tesla 0-60 under 4 sec, but like any other car with the ability to accelerate really fast and sits low to the ground (i.e. a porsche, ferrari, etc.), ya kinda have to watch out were the drive the things fast! For example in the tesla it sits so low to the ground ya have to watch out how ya drive the thing down a drive way, over rail road tracks, or even down a street full of pot holes cause cities like san diego where I live are broke because of poor financial management.

figure if I get a good clean "cream puff" 300cd and have a benz enthusiast/entrepreneur who resells older cars and has the ability to convert an auto to a stick shift, we both win! I basically get a car no one else has, and I help a small business do what they love doing.

btw its true ya only live once, but figure I'd like to live a real long time and accumulate "toys" that are practical and unique.

ps if the goal is to go 0-60 in the shortest possible time, with lots of excitement base jumping with a winged suit is the way to go...

winged suits - Google Search

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
ps if the goal is to go 0-60 in the shortest possible time, with lots of excitement base jumping with a winged suit is the way to go...
I don't like heights :) Plus (I know there is a difference) if you're going to use a parachute....make sure the plane's fckd first!............I had an E320 coupe W124 1993...fantastic car,it was an auto but here there are some manuals (rare).

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
Phaster,.............
"figure if I get a good clean "cream puff" 300cd and have a benz enthusiast/entrepreneur who resells older cars and has the ability to convert an auto to a stick shift, we both win! I basically get a car no one else has, and I help a small business do what they love doing."

Your a great man! The world could use a few more people who think like you do!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've always liked the 560 coupe, and think it would be a neat weekend car, but as it stands I have more cars than I actually need

Phaster,.............
"figure if I get a good clean "cream puff" 300cd and have a benz enthusiast/entrepreneur who resells older cars and has the ability to convert an auto to a stick shift, we both win! I basically get a car no one else has, and I help a small business do what they love doing."

Your a great man! The world could use a few more people who think like you do!
Sadly the world at large does not fully appreciate my unpretentious pragmatic super genius world view philosophy...

anyway think I going to get my xmas present, had an eMail a few days ago from the classic benz business owner, and seemed receptive to the idea of me buying the clean '84 300cd and converting it into a manual.

I know the 84 was a fancy model with a turbo, air con, and a tach in the instrument cluster. My 78 300d is a basic model with a manual transmission, no air con, etc.

What I'd like is to do is transfer all the guts of my '78 300d (engine, manual trans, differential, and instrument cluster) into the '84 which I'd use as a daily driver.

thoughts????

·
Registered
1984 300 CD
26 Posts
Getting rid of the turbo engine would be a big mistake you will lose 40 some horsepower. If you are going to alter the 300CD drive it first with the automatic you might decide to leave it that way.
If you must have the 4 sp you can remove the flywheel and 4 sp along with the driveshaft and it should be a simplier swap. You will have the shifter and links along with the other parts from your donor 300D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts