Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 1998 SL600 R129 Mercedes 2001 E430 W210 1997 Renntech E60 Dodge 2006 Power Wagon
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the auto show today, I saw this. It took a while to to see that is was a R129. Wow this poor car. What do you guys think. Sorry for the poor photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Wow this poor car. What do you guys think.
Photos of this car have been posted here on the forum on a few occasions. :eek:

IMHO, this R129 is a true nightmare and completely degraded as it is totally RUINED..!! :(

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
proaudioservices you don't have to be sorry but it's the owner of that poor R129 that has to be sorry for the mess he did!

Cheers.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
I think I will have to make a small detour during my visit and have a word or two with this guy.

·
Registered
SL320
10 Posts
Custom SL - 1997 SL320 MB

Well here I am... the owner and builder of the car.. Sorry you guys can't appriciate the time and money that went into the car. But it's ok... Anyone wants to contact me please do. Or check out the site at :: Joe Daleo's 1997 Custom SL Mercedes-Benz ::

The car was built for Car Shows and I think I have just a few dozen "best of show" and 1st place trophys to make me feel that some people do appriciate the hard work, detail, time and money that went into the Artwork of the design.

I attached a few better pictures of the car from the day we dropped it at the auto show.

Cheers!!

JBaba

Attachments

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
Yes, that is a lot of work and money invested. Too much actually.

Is the car driveable?

·
Registered
SL320
10 Posts
Yes the car is road ready, I drive it around town once in a while. It's on Air bags so it raises to full height with a quick switch.

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
Though I am confident most of the features required a lot of handy work, don't you believe, the visual design, is too heavy?

·
Registered
SL320
10 Posts
Actually nothing... I just started thinking of things I wanted to do to the car and did it.

Example, I was at a car show years ago and I seen in one of the booths they had a small smoke machine blowing smoke under the car. I took that idea and bought a 1700 watt full blown "club" type smoke machine. Cut it up and rebuilt the machine and mounted it under the back of the car, built in a tank that I can fill anytime (which is one of the gas caps now on the driver side of the car) and built in pipes all around under the car so the smoke blows out from the car. It's so powerfull that the fire marshalls at indoor shows won't let us turn it on.

That is just one of the gadgets in the car, I built in about 20 or so things like that. I have about 150 thousand into the car and over 2 years time. But it was just something I wanted to do and I enjoyed doing it.

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Actually nothing... I just started thinking of things I wanted to do to the car and did it.

Example, I was at a car show years ago and I seen in one of the booths they had a small smoke machine blowing smoke under the car. I took that idea and bought a 1700 watt full blown "club" type smoke machine. Cut it up and rebuilt the machine and mounted it under the back of the car, built in a tank that I can fill anytime (which is one of the gas caps now on the driver side of the car) and built in pipes all around under the car so the smoke blows out from the car. It's so powerfull that the fire marshalls at indoor shows won't let us turn it on.

That is just one of the gadgets in the car, I built in about 20 or so things like that. I have about 150 thousand into the car and over 2 years time. But it was just something I wanted to do and I enjoyed doing it.
150 grand? and thats what u do with it?
i think the money would have been better spent wiping your butt with $100 bills....
I guess it is your car and it should be spent the way you want it to! I am a stock kind of guy, but i still give you props.

but just keep in mind, the next 150 grand you spend, could be towards a ferarri that we can share.

·
Registered
SL320
10 Posts
who said I don't use 100's to wipe my butt now ?..... LOL Nah, actually they were hurting my butt so I switched back to toilet paper and decided to spend it on the car instead...

Seriously though, I paid 40k for the car when it was just over a year old, I didn't decided to customize till a few years later. I had no intentions on spending that kind of money on the car, it just worked out that way in the end.

Thanks for the Props !

·
Registered
2 off R129 SL 500's (SL1 & SL2); W219 CLS 500; W220 S 500; W126 300 SE; SOLD - W203 C200 Kompressor
164 Posts
what a mess ... this is a classic example on how 2 really screw a good piece of machinery up - u should have stuck to Nissans they are more suited to this type of face job.....

·
Registered
05 C215 CL 500, 96 SL 500 PANO,96 W124 220CE,03 Smart 450 Cabrio, 96 W124 220CE, 07 Ford Transit!
431 Posts
Each to his own but i think it's the most vulgar thing i've ever seen. You've taken one of the most understated modern classic cars and turned it into a tarts handbag

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
I'm no crazy about the paint, but there is real talent there. As for the mods, I commend you - I think it looks BAD (in the slang GOOD sort of way). Purists will never understand or appreciate your work, but you didn't do it for them anyway. I apologize for the crude critics here. I for one would be happy to cruise around Florida in it with you.

·
Registered
SL320
10 Posts
Thanks for the comments, good and bad... I did what I did because "I" wanted it. I didn't build the car thinking "everyone" was going to like it. Actually, one of the guys that worked on the car with me is a hardcore "stock" "muscle" car guy and he hated it the whole time we were working on it. However, once it was done and we started taking the car to shows, the response we received from the "unbleiveable crowds" around the car was so insane, that he started to love it. It makes me feel good when I show the car and that's really all that counts.

If anyone is interested in all the hard work that went into the design you can check out the site I built for the car. Pictures and Custom Work List for SL320 or just :: Joe Daleo's 1997 Custom SL Mercedes-Benz ::

Enjoy ! or not.

JBaba123

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Pssst.

Spend your money on the car....
Wiping your butt with $100 bills is a Federal offense.

Regards,
aam.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts