Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
ALL PICTURES HAVE BEEN RESTORED!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roland - When you look at the top guides from a W140 and then from the W126, you will see the differences.

One important note that I did not mention earlier cuz I forgot: DO NOT use the top guides from the W140. They are longer than the W126 guides and because of the design of the 126 Sunroof assy., the 140 guide sits at an angle and catches the slides at the back. There is a metal piece riveted with a pop rivet, and that makes the top guide sit at an upwards angle and not flat. It has to sit flat so it does not catch on the rear of the slides.

You will see once you have it all in. Bottom line is you only use the slides that attach to the Transom and Roof panel.
Yes Kim, they say a lot that isn't true, including if I may add, that my engine would never start, let alone squeeze out 40 more horses net, out of my engine.

But then again, I don't recall them doing anything other than bad mouth and tear down things. Do you?
Hi Mike, great job you guys did. From a different perspective, I noticed that you are in California. I am in Sydney so because of similar coastal temperatures, how are you finding the summer sun through the glass? Also I noticed that you have gen 2. Can this be done with a gen 1 car?

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,231 Posts
Stewart being new to here you would not be aware Mike sold his W126 cars some time ago and moved the the east coast of USA to live. He drives a later model Merc now.
The sunroof conversion includes installing the sliding trim cover to close-off against heat from the glass.
All these conversions done were on Gen2 coupes & sedans.
Gen 1 did not have the tilt function so i assume the brackets are a little different, but the metal roof design is the same dimensions - i think they covered off on the Gen1 within the thread content. The conversion in my opinion only suits darker exterior duco colours otherwise leave the factory sunroof as-is

121 - 123 of 123 Posts