Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
I cannot offer experience since I swapped the capsule. Consider once you have the glass to have a new seal if it is original. Also, since you are there you should replace any felt sliders, clean drains and tracks of old lube, use gleitpaste where appropriate and maybe a new cable since the old one may be old style and the new one is better design. The glass is heaver than the metal, and it is operational. I only opened the sunroof when installed to verify operation. Because the car is so much brighter now, there isn't a reason to do so. I will most likely be replacing my windscreen in the next few years and will use the 3m clear metallic UV type film on that glass. I will also be using the same film on the sunroof panel. Glass is tinted but adds to the heat in the car during Texas summers.

This weekend I manually retracted the roof to verify drains were operational and that everything still works. I disconnected the electrics at the switch to prevent passengers from opening and closing my roof (kids). Again, the glass changes the entire dynamics of the car and for me - renders the opening and closing unnecessary. YMMV. I might add here that the coupe is plug and play, same
p/n for the seal.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,292 Posts
Again, the glass changes the entire dynamics of the car and for me - renders the opening and closing unnecessary. YMMV. I might add here that the coupe is plug and play, same
p/n for the seal.
Great comments man! Many thanks.

Our somewhat plebian S70 Volvo has a glass roof too.

For the above reasons, and great AC/C, we've not used it in years

M.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
Yes I got the cassette from a former member here who worked the yards in Socal for years. He was a well mannered participant here, but has since moved on from the forum. Occasionally the C140 shows up in the yards, so just be on the lookout for what you need. Take note that all you need is the glass, the slider and the bellows on the sides. May be wise to get the plastic on the forward inside edge and the wind deflector. In my view the wind deflector is very minimal, 1/4 the raised height of the w124 and w126 deflectors. I do not know if there is enough room to use the W126 deflector inside the Coupe' with a w140 glass panel. Maybe Yasin can shed light on that topic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went to the pick your part junkyard today and got a glass sunroof off of a 1999 S420 along with the arms, headliner, and a few additional components for only 100 bucks and a few hours of my time (to think I spent 200 dollars on a new pair W126 arms on ebay). I believe I have everything I need now to get this job done during the weekend.

The main issue that I have right now is that the original broken, bolted-on arm somehow got caught behind the rear most bracket on the driver's side, which is preventing me from removing what is left of the original arms. The cable isn't broken and the motor works fine, but i can't reach my arm far enough to manually pull it forward. When I was removing the sunroof from the W140 I didn't notice these brackets, so would it harm anything to simply bend the bracket to allow the mechanism that moves the arms to go forward? Of course, I attached a picture for further clarification.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,160 Posts
My first 560SEC had this conversion and it was beyond cool looking. Loved it. The only issue was that it didn't seem to work quite right. I had to play with the button and time it right to get it to seat correctly. Not a big deal, but not quite plug and play. I doubt if I will do this to my 500SEC any time soon. Way too many other things I want to do. But once it is all truly sorted I'll give this some serious thought because the look is just badass.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,918 Posts
The 126 deflector will not work with the 140 glass roof, so there will be some increased wind buffeting noise depending on how fast your travelling with the sunroof open.

Similar to 281lxm I rarely open my sunroof, the natural light that comes through is the interior transformation that I was seeking.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,232 Posts
I have owned my white coupe for 10yrs now and in all that time all i do with the sunroof in summer is the rear tilt-up function as i always have my windows down (why have a pillar- less coupe and not enjoy the breeze)
Same also i have a brand new aircon pump and have not got around to installing it as i never use the aircon - haha

·
Registered
1988 300SEL 158K;1980 450SL 31K
636 Posts
Wow, looks great, the headliner, the color, the sunroof, every thing, nice job !! who is the man behind this customized leather job ?

I was able to replace my sunroof on my SEC without the entire capsule swap, basically I pulled out the metal one and dropped in the glass piece, it is fiddly and requires patience.

One of my favorite pictures after I was complete:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Nice work and pro finish -
i too have a complete C140 capsule stored away to give this mod a go one day when i get around to it.

Its more about a cool look than function as i hate having any sun beating down on my head when driving. I have only ever used my existing metal sunroofs for tilt function which is very handy.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
What happened to the original photos?? :(
I switched servers and they poof'ed, AGAIN!. Two years ago I restored them, but I think that they (BenzWorld) disabled "Hotlinking" to other servers. I know that Photobucket disabled it.

So Here's what you can do:

1) If you quote my post that you want to see the pics of, you will see the links to the pics and they are still active. Copy the entire text and paste it into a text editor and then get rid of the
and you will have the URL of the pic. Copy and paste that into your browser and the pic will come up. It's a PITA, but better than nothing.

2) Type this into your browser: "http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/" and you will get a directory listing of ALL of the pics that I have ever uploaded to BW. you will still have to do the post quote and see what pic numbers they are. You can D/L them from there too.

3) SOMEBODY can quote each post of mine and then mash the IMG's into links for everyone to see. I don't really have the time as I am stretched on so many other projects.

4) What I can and will TRY to do is to make a photo packet of each subject and then put a post up with a link so you guys can download them all at once. It will be a big drain on my bandwidth, but oh well.

I probably send them to Ian or somebody for safekeeping in case I die or something??

Her are the first ten links:

http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11392_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11393_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11394_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11395_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11396_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11445_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11446_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11447_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11448_sm.jpg
http://www.michaelclare.com/Mercedes/Pictures/T70_11451_sm.jpg

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Okay, so I just tried an experiment. I posted the previous post and copied the ten links and made them twenty. So you can have more than ten links in a post.

If somebody could go through all of my posts and make a master list of all of the pic links, that would help.

You will have to use my instructions from above. Quote each post then copy the links out and make one long post with all of the links.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,089 Posts
good to see your name on here again.missed you, how are things going?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
good to see your name on here again.missed you, how are things going?
I've been good thanks!

I'm married now, almost a year, to the girl in my avatar picture, Erin. She wonderful and supports all of my hobbies. I live near DC and I work for the Navy now at PAX River Naval Air Station. I have my dream job writing software for the Navy, that our Fleet sailors will use for decades to come. One of my projects is for the Test Pilot's School! I get to go to TPS regularly, and it's pure heaven for me! I am building them a 6' long Aircraft Carrier, the USS America CV-66 (The ship I served on.)

I still have my C216, plus two other cars, so I only drive the CL550 on the weekends and maybe to work once in a while. It sits in the garage mostly now. I sold all of my 126 parts to a member here and I'm sure he'll announce it when he's ready. I have zero desire to turn a wrench anymore. I live in Solomon's Island, think New England Fishing Village. We have a large 5000 sq. ft. home on the Chesapeake Bay right on the water. I could never have dreamed that I would be so lucky, ever! It's like a dream the last three years! Thinking about buying a boat now.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,676 Posts
On Pictures

The tech team have got back to me with the advice that "the links are to a site that doesn't have a SSL certificate. We added ours a good while ago, and since we have one and that hosting site doesn't, browsers won't allow the images to show. I should say newer browsers won't (Chrome or Firefox, for example), but older ones, that have lower security settings, still will. Load the site with IE and once that slow browser finishes loading, the pics are visible."

Apparently.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The tech team have got back to me with the advice that "the links are to a site that doesn't have a SSL certificate. We added ours a good while ago, and since we have one and that hosting site doesn't, browsers won't allow the images to show. I should say newer browsers won't (Chrome or Firefox, for example), but older ones, that have lower security settings, still will. Load the site with IE and once that slow browser finishes loading, the pics are visible."

Apparently.
That went straight over my head - speak in layman's language please!!! haha

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,676 Posts
Lol don't worry I'm not uber techy either. It just means the pics are still there apparently but browsers that don't see a certain security certification won't show them.
It would explain why they disappeared, I do remember Mike restoring them.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,676 Posts
In theory if anyone has Internet Explorer they should see the pics. Maybe someone can test this for us.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)

Apparently.
@ianrandom - Ian, I just ordered an SSL Certificate for my site. It was only $25.00 so no biggie.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts