Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Yeah, you want to try and get the entire capsule, that's the easiest.

Disconn the cable, then the perimeter bolts and drop it intact.

·
Registered
81' 300SD
100 Posts
Hi, I have a gen 1, is there any chance it can be done?

I'm local to Southern Cali as well and bringing back this 81' 126 that has been in the family since it was new. I've restored this car slowly via pickapart and ebay but this glass sunroof is an absolute must have. Friends and family would be in love with it if only it can be done. I can get all the parts from W140, motor if necessary, heck i already have the controller and can grab an SE headliner and headliner slider pieces. But the big question is the fact I have a GEN1. I'm local to southern cali as well, could help me out?
Thanks.
Louis

·
Registered
1991 420SEL & 2000 CLK430 AMG Cabrio
458 Posts
Louis,

Welcome to the forum...

We do hope you enjoy your time here with us and gain and leave some useful information about keeping these great cars on the road...

If you fill out your profile, it makes it easier for others to provide model and location specific advice regarding your question.
Location matters on an International forum. There are differences between cars sold in North America, and other Countries.

Simply click on User CP and explore the options on the left hand menu.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
I'm local to Southern Cali as well and bringing back this 81' 126 that has been in the family since it was new. I've restored this car slowly via pickapart and ebay but this glass sunroof is an absolute must have. Friends and family would be in love with it if only it can be done. I can get all the parts from W140, motor if necessary, heck i already have the controller and can grab an SE headliner and headliner slider pieces. But the big question is the fact I have a GEN1. I'm local to southern cali as well, could help me out?
Thanks.
Louis
If you replace the whole cartridge you should have no issues and should have Tilt as well. Some have just replaced the panel and will not have tilt in a GEN I. No need for change to electrical controllers, it is all mechanical aside from the motor. The panel rides on cam geometry. The cam geometry is absent in GEN Is and therefore won't tilt.

·
Registered
1995 E300D
907 Posts
So forgive my ignorance, but what is required if you do replace the whole capsule? I have found a source for one, and would REALLY like to do this.

Rob

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
So forgive my ignorance, but what is required if you do replace the whole capsule? I have found a source for one, and would REALLY like to do this.

Rob
Pretty much drop the headliner, unbolt the cartridge and pop in the new one.

I went the long route and replaced all the internal bits from the top of the car.

It's pretty straightforward. The hard part is aligning the panel and adjusting everything. Go slow before you use it fully or you will break it all to hell. Everything should move nice and smoothly.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I live in SoCal and have done several of these, so PM me your number or call me at: 661-618-9590 and I'll help you.

·
Registered
81' 300SD
100 Posts
Louis,

Welcome to the forum...

We do hope you enjoy your time here with us and gain and leave some useful information about keeping these great cars on the road...

If you fill out your profile, it makes it easier for others to provide model and location specific advice regarding your question.
Location matters on an International forum. There are differences between cars sold in North America, and other Countries.

Simply click on User CP and explore the options on the left hand menu.
Thanks ColoRich, setting it up now. im hooked!

·
Registered
2006 E350 (1/2014-Sld), 1997 S320 (5/2014), 1995 E320 Cab (1/2015), 88 560SEC (2/2015), 90 560SEC
586 Posts
Michael, can you please update these pictures as well? Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
Woof! My name is Louis - I got concerned I did something wrong...

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Pictures updated and no, Louis, you did nothing wrong!

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
Easier in a coupe than in a sel, but the swap is to remove the cable, drop out the old and bolt in the new. (Over simplified but don't make more of it than you need to)

·
Registered
2006 E350 (1/2014-Sld), 1997 S320 (5/2014), 1995 E320 Cab (1/2015), 88 560SEC (2/2015), 90 560SEC
586 Posts
Removing the cable is not to easy. Plus bolting back the capsule is not a one man job. :-(. I have ruined the cable and other stuff while removing the old SEC capsule.

Thanks, Michael, for updating the pics.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,918 Posts
I was able to replace my sunroof on my SEC without the entire capsule swap, basically I pulled out the metal one and dropped in the glass piece, it is fiddly and requires patience.

One of my favorite pictures after I was complete:

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
I was able to replace my sunroof on my SEC without the entire capsule swap, basically I pulled out the metal one and dropped in the glass piece, it is fiddly and requires patience.

One of my favorite pictures after I was complete:
Nice job, looks very good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, looks clean.

I'm going to attempt this job, but I'm a bit unclear about a few things.

Did you use the lifting arms and seal from the W126? I just bought a new pair of W126 lifting arms (the original were broken when I removed the roof) and it would be a shame not to use them. I'm going to go to the wrecking yard this week to see if I can get a glass sunroof and headliner from a W140. I just wanted to make sure that I get all the components required for the job. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,286 Posts
WELCOME to BW rrostan!

Wow, looks clean.

I'm going to attempt this job, but I'm a bit unclear about a few things.

Did you use the lifting arms and seal from the W126? I just bought a new pair of W126 lifting arms (the original were broken when I removed the roof) and it would be a shame not to use them. I'm going to go to the wrecking yard this week to see if I can get a glass sunroof and headliner from a W140. I just wanted to make sure that I get all the components required for the job. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
WELCOME to BenzWorld rrostan,

I see you are getting great tips and inspiration on what will prove to be a most interesting project! Please keep us posted as your progress. We all like the pictures!

In addition, might you please fill in your BW profile details a bit? Such as your car year/model.. and general location for us? This will make it easier to offer assistance, should you need.. User CP in your profile gives you access.

You will need to be logged in on a computer for this, as for some reason or other a phone or tablet does not give the same functionality.

Thanks man,

MBL

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,918 Posts
When I did my conversion (4 1/2 years ago), a bunch of my 126 arms were also broken. The 140 glass roof was bought off another member and he included a zip lock bag of spare parts some of which I used. I recommend grabbing those if you come across a 140 at the scrap yard. My apologies if I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, I have literally done so many things to my 126 over the years and taken it apart so many times, some of the details run into each other.

I reused my 126 seal.

Regards,
Yasin

81 - 100 of 123 Posts