Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out why my engine shakes for quite some time. I just did a through diesel purge and it's still shaking. I loosened each fuel supply to each injector and the car didn't smoothe out.

I just happened to put a finger on each hard fuel line leading to the injector and noticed something. Fuel lines 2-5 felt smoothe whereas on the first fuel line I felt a vibration

Ping Ping Ping Ping

as it ran. I'm wondering if the injection pump is the culprit? I have spare injectors I can install on #1 but the pinging is leading towards the injector.

Thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swapped out the injector with no success in stopping the ping ping noise.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I swapped out the injector with no success in stopping the ping ping noise.
If you are sure that you have identified the cylinder that is pinging and sure that the Injector you swaped is good then you have a probem inside of the Engine.
The easiest place to start is to make sure the Valves are adjusted.
After that it is a Compression Test.

Although I don't know why it would be confied to one Cylinder an Air leak can also cause the pinging or nailing.

Below is a pic of the Stock Mercedes Injector and Nozzle. In the tiny tip there is tiny drilled passages that can get entirely clogged with Carbon. Once clogged I don't believe a diesel purge will flush out the Carbon. #14 and #15 are the passages.

When My Car had the Shaking issue it would be OK Cold but after drive 10-20 minutes and it was hot it would shake.
A valve adjustment and rebuiliding the Injectors solved most of the Shaking issue (My Injector Nozzles were plugged with the Carbon as mentioned before).
The reset of the Shaking was taken care of with New Motor and Transmission Mounts and a New Governor Idle Pin/Rack Damper Screw (if you have a Turbo Engine with an MW Fuel Injection Pump); and, curing a small Air leak.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts