Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Then add two ignition coils to the list of what you’ll need that’s another $2000.

Like I said just get rid
Code went away po300 is a generic code code be a vacuum leak or just need spark plugs or insulators it didn’t have a specific coil fault remanufactured coils are
Well parts n labor were 4K all together it consisted of radiator fan assembly ac condenser oil cooler brakes and rotors passenger seat occupancy sensor can’t remember if it needed anything else but it didn’t have a knock when I got it but it felt weak Upon start like it needed new plugs halfway home it felt like it downshifted and rev’d up check engine light came on code was po300 took it back to the shop they told me about the metallic flakes, when I picked it back up the check engine light went away
and it needed a power steering pump

·
Registered
2006 S600
236 Posts
Very briefly, I'd suggest some more research.
Code P0300 99% means bad coil pack or ignition supply.
PAS pumps is a tandem ABC/PAS pump.
Nick

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,581 Posts
You know who needs to buy this car? The famous Howard haoz129 from Mbworld ! He bought a S600 none of us thought could be repaired and fixed it by himself

The difference here is you are paying a shop to fix it so it makes no financial sense

·
Registered
2005 S600
484 Posts
Howard is an inspiration

·
Registered
2006 S600
236 Posts
I don't like being defeated by cars, and my experience with seven V12's is that there's often a good car hiding behind every dog. However, that's usually because the fundamentals are good - compression, oil pressure, leaks, noises, bodywork - that sort of thing. The car in this thread is a bit different, but nothing that a used engine couldn't fix - if you do the work the yourself. It's still made of nuts and bolts like everything else, it's just that there are a lot more of them. I think that's what Howard would say.

Nick

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,312 Posts
Any updates since? :unsure:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Any updates since? :unsure:
Flushed the oil again checked the filter only found 3 metallic flakes in the whole filter no engine knocks but check engine came on for misfire in cylinder 2 so new plugs and insulators are being ordered if that doesn’t clear the code I’m getting a refurbished coil pack, I’m doing all the labor btw (fingers crossed I don’t need the coil pack though)

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,360 Posts
That does sound encouraging. At this point, it's worth a shot. Oil and filters are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
How do you get to the coils on the 05 s600 I can only find videos on the naturally aspirated engines

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,312 Posts
My advice would also be to remove both coil packs and all of the insulator boots:
  • Use brake cleaner and compressed air to blow out all of the spark plug wells to remove any traces of oil etc
  • Wash all of the insulators in warm soapy water and dry fully. Inspect carefully for any cracks or defects. Including pinching them as cracks can only show when squeezed. Ideally I would renew all of the insulators which are available from MB and not worry about them being at fault.
  • Use electrical contact spray and clean all of the coil packs inside and allow to dry fully.
  • Inspect all of the little springs inside to make sure non are loose / corroded / missing.
  • Re-insert the insulators back into the coil packs.
  • Apply a little silicone grease to the insulator boots where they will contact the spark plug ceramic to enable future ease of removal.
  • Put all back together and try again before ordering coil pack(s)
Do be VERY careful with the coil packs during removal and installation. They are very fragile and can be damaged if not gentle enough and then your defo into replacement coil packs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

Like I said metallic flakes are disappearing but the other day it was below freezing heat in Pittsburgh and I had to change my Malibu headlight assembly’s so I had the Benz outside till I was done when I went to pull her in she burped all her abc fluid out the abcs been working fine I know there’s nothing wrong where is the abc fluid refilled at ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
She’s still sitting level not slammed I think she just need her fluids refilled

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I checked the fluid in the top picture and it’s empty I’m assuming that is the abc

·
Registered
2005 S600
484 Posts
ABC reservoir is the larger of the two. Power steering the smaller. The ABC dipstick has two ranges “an” or running, and “auf” or off.

If a bunch of fluid just puked out of the reservoir- you likely had an accumulator fail.

There are four. One on the pressure regulator. One on each valve block. One above the right rear axle.

With low fluid, you’ll have low pressure. Running the pump without fluid will destroy the pump, which lists for about $1,400. Don’t drive this until you get fluid in it and figure out what failed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I found metal accumulators are they better than the black rubber ones ?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts