Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2005 Copart S600 just got out of the shop, spent 4K and soon as I left my check engine light came on for the first time ever so I ran the code and of course I need a coil pack but when I took it back the shop and found a lot of metallic in my oil filter so now I’m wondering is it worth it to take the car to a mb dealer and let them take the engine apart to see if it’s saveable they charge 125$ an hour or should I swap an engine. Is it possible to put a 430 engine in the 600 I found a running warrantied 430 engine with only 30k miles for 820$ where as the 600 biturbo was 4300$ with 80k miles I’m near Pittsburgh if there’s anyone close by that can help please let me know !

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,865 Posts
Hi forget MB dealer, you may as well spend your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on buying a nice running Car and break this one for spares ;)

Swapping Engines on any MB is a royal PITA and definitely not anything less than Advanced DIY who has a mate like me and the odd few others who do actually really know what they are doing and have kit and knowledge to Eeprom ECU's and Code in all the Electronics, that is where the grief lies, and SDS will not do your Immobiliser issues without Eepromming to Virgin first.

The nuts and bolts is fairly easy, although I suspect there is a lot of other parts will be needed.

If I were you, do a couple Oil and Filter changes first, (providing Engine is not making odd noises), you might get lucky !!

Don't ask me how I know all this, suffice to say many highs and lows, blood sweat and tears with my R170 SLK V6 to V8 swap .............

That swap has a really nasty little gremlin that lurked within its ECU, and has taken me weeks and weeks to figure out, and is the reason so many guys have given up trying the swap !!

Replace like Engine for like and avoid all the hassles. If I were in your shoes I'd buy a beat up Car with a good running Engine, cheapest way.

HTH,

·
Registered
2003 S430
2,438 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,520 Posts
Metal in the oil filter is definitely a warning sign, but certainly not a reason to swap the engine yet. First thing to do is check oil pressure and listen for weird noises, which any independent can do.

·
Registered
2005 S600
480 Posts
Change the oil and filter. Get the oil analyzed at Blackstone Labs.

If the engine is dying, a good used unit is the cheapest way to go.

If you can’t do the swap for another M275, then junk the car. Sorry.

A motor change to a V-8 will cost you far more than a used S500. An S600 with a V-8 will have near zero value when you’re done....you’ll spend a fortune and be left with a worthless car, even if you can get it functioning.

That makes no sense.

·
W220 Moderator
5,865 Posts
If it still runs just sell it as is on eBay

Do not invest one more penny
Sage advice there /\ /\ /\ , take it ;)

Like I said earlier, economic alternatives are either:-

1) If yours has good bodywork and interior buy another dog with a known good M275 and swap motors

2) Buy a real nice one and if you have the room, break the one you got for spares 😉

HTH,

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,311 Posts
So my 2005 Copart S600 just got out of the shop, spent 4K and soon as I left my check engine light came on for the first time ever so I ran the code and of course I need a coil pack but when I took it back the shop and found a lot of metallic in my oil filter so now I’m wondering is it worth it to take the car to a mb dealer and let them take the engine apart to see if it’s saveable they charge 125$ an hour or should I swap an engine. Is it possible to put a 430 engine in the 600 I found a running warrantied 430 engine with only 30k miles for 820$ where as the 600 biturbo was 4300$ with 80k miles I’m near Pittsburgh if there’s anyone close by that can help please let me know !
Do you have photos of the metal in the oil filter? How much was there - a mettalic sparkle fest? Just note that there may be tiny fragments in every other pleet but this can be normal. If you are talking about small qtys of flakes dont panic just yet. Imagine how many variables there are to what could cause or what would be acceptable amounts of metal in the filter. You would really need to see 6+ filters from the same motors to get an idea of what is acceptable.

Post photos if you can. I would hope the shop gave you the old filter or at least took photos of the issue.

If it still runs just sell it as is on eBay

Do not invest one more penny
Wow that's nice advice. Dump it on someone else. Nice.

I would never do that or even consider it but that's just me.

·
W220 Moderator
5,865 Posts
Hi @JC220

Firstly, I agree re the Oil Filter, more info needed, which is why I suggested a couple more Oil Changes, and monitor ..............

Remeber, this is the Car that had a Fork Lift bust it's Ally Sump, so could be tiny particles from that !!

After all an Oil Filter is just that .............. It is there to filter the Oil removing and capturing tiny particles from the Oil flow and so save the Engine from further damage ;)

Regarding EBay ...........

I don't think that is what he meant ;)

I actually think @tusabes means sell it for "spares or repairs" on EBay, not disguising it as a perfect Car !!

HTH,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shop let me go back and look at the filter it had a lot of metal but when I get the car back home i will post pictures I think they mentioned a noise but I’ve never heard the noise the check engine light came on and the only code is po300 random misfires I need a passenger side coil pack but if something internally was wrong wouldn’t the check engine be giving off more codes ?

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,311 Posts
I didn't join the dots that this was the S600 bought with the busted oil pan.

Trouble is - you cant know if the car was started and ran in that condition. If it was running with no oil then that would explain the large amounts of metal particulate in the oil filter and the motor may well be trashed.

Let's see the filter photos first......

Check engine light cant account for this scenario or detect spun bearings.

·
Registered
2005 S600
480 Posts
Your CEL has nothing to do with the metal shavings.

A random/generic misfire is ignition related.

Metal shavings are debris/component failure.

Given the history, change the oil, get the old oil analyzed, run the new oil/filter for a few hundred miles, change it and check the filter again.

Stop speculating. Get some data points.

·
W220 Moderator
5,865 Posts
Hi,

When you get back from the run home, whilst the Engine is hot, keep it running, open hood, take and post up a short video of the Engine running.

It's the sound track we are interested in, so get video camera / phone under hood near middle of Engine Covers, with it idling, and with someone giving it a little rev up to about 3000 rpm and back to idle a few times ;)

Then, based on what we are hearing we can give you some more advice !!

HTH,

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Personally I upload videos to you tube and then share the link on forums. Quite easy. You can sign up to you tube and upload the video directly from your cell phone for example.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts