Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

MY 2000 E320, around 60K miles on it. Recently it developed a metal clunking sound when I move the shifter from park to gear (and back of course). It reminds me of the similar sound on my old W124 which was cured by replacing a small plastic bushing on the shift linkage, from under the car. Would this be a similar undertaking? Has anyone experienced/done this before?

Thank you,

Alex

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Plus one on MM's question.

That aside, is the noise deeper in quality, like from within the transmission or drivetrain, or is it a higher-pitch? The 722 5-speed is electronic, so I can't think of a bushing such as you describe, but there are drivetrain components, transmission mount, etc. that might contribute. I would still recommend a fluid change, at that time the flex disc and mount can be inspected.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

PS: Why would we want to know? Because it is quite often useful information; depending on where you are located, suggestions and recommendations change.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Shifter bushing

makes a racket when worn and it goes right up the shifter into the cabin.Inspect it for wear.
PRND are all controlled by the mechanical linkage,
so if you shift in the manual 1234 mode,controlled electronically the sound should not happen.That is the test of the shifter bushing.Inspect,if good,check driveshaft flex discs and support bearing.After that get back to us.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies.
I changed the filter and the tranny oil around 45K miles.
Model Year 2000 came with the tiptronic transmission so the shifter only moves left and right when I manushift. And when I do that there is no sound only when I move the shifter straight forward or back, ie. PRND. The flex disk(s) OK, I checked them last time I changed the oil (I changed one on the W124, it sounds like this sound is coming from the shifter not from the flexdisk).
The sound is a high pitched metal clunk, very similar to the sound the shifter made in the old W124 when it needed the bushing and only heard when I actually move the shifter.
Now, as far as I know, even though the tranmission is electronically controled there is a linkage that is involved in moving the transmission into gear from neutral or park. Hence the bushing. I did search and it seems that there is a bushing (two actually), I just wanted to double check. As I can only change it on my back in the parking lot I just wanted to know how much of a pain it will be. The bushing for the W124 is made from a very hard plastic, and I couldn't heat it up to make it plyable so I ended up cutting it open in order to fit it on the shaft, which I am sure shortened its service life but I sold the car before the problem could have resurfaced.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
1982 300D-T, 1989 Porsche 911 Cab, 1986 Volvo 760T, 2010 BMW 535XiT 6MT and 2014 i3 Rex
190 Posts
sounds like the bushings to me. my car did exactly the same thing -- not a shifting problem as in 1-2-3-4-5 but a P vs R vs D problem. I just had them replaced two weeks ago by my indie shop -- $6 parts, $60 labor. Feels like new again.

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
I did mine myself in less than 20 minutes and it is done inside the car not below. Look up shifter removal in the DIY section here and the CLK section. Don't go to a shop and waste money on labor do it yourself, all the instructions you need is here in this forum. Let us know if the noise goes away when you are done...

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Same with

the tiptronic prnd are actuated by the linkage and the +- is electronic.So if no noise on the electronic mode replace the bushing.
Êàòàëîã
That seems the best place to start before more radical measures:eek:

·
Registered
2001 E200K
15 Posts
Hi,

It most likely is the bushing. My W210 had the same problem last week. The change between the park and reverse gear felt a little loose and there was a metal clunking sound when shifting. There are 2 plastic bushings located under the car which was changed by the mechanic in under 5 mins with what looked like a long screwdriver to me. The car had to be jacked up. Problem sorted after changing them. Parts cost under $4 for the 2 pieces of bushing. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1996 E200 full Lorinser 59k kms
40 Posts
the tiptronic prnd are actuated by the linkage and the +- is electronic.So if no noise on the electronic mode replace the bushing.
Êàòàëîã
That seems the best place to start before more radical measures:eek:
Have a similar problem. Ohlord, is that more the No 27 part or the No. 55 part in the link you provided us? Thanks.

·
Registered
99 E-430 w/mods 98 E-320
201 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.
I changed the filter and the tranny oil around 45K miles.
Model Year 2000 came with the tiptronic transmission so the shifter only moves left and right when I manushift. And when I do that there is no sound only when I move the shifter straight forward or back, ie. PRND. The flex disk(s) OK, I checked them last time I changed the oil (I changed one on the W124, it sounds like this sound is coming from the shifter not from the flexdisk).
The sound is a high pitched metal clunk, very similar to the sound the shifter made in the old W124 when it needed the bushing and only heard when I actually move the shifter.
Now, as far as I know, even though the tranmission is electronically controled there is a linkage that is involved in moving the transmission into gear from neutral or park. Hence the bushing. I did search and it seems that there is a bushing (two actually), I just wanted to double check. As I can only change it on my back in the parking lot I just wanted to know how much of a pain it will be. The bushing for the W124 is made from a very hard plastic, and I couldn't heat it up to make it plyable so I ended up cutting it open in order to fit it on the shaft, which I am sure shortened its service life but I sold the car before the problem could have resurfaced.

Thanks,

Alex
The bushing is changed from the underneath. . The linkage is L-shaped and goes through the bottom of the shifter . There is a metal support about 6" with two bolts. Remove one loosen the other and moved it out of the way. Remove the clip holding the linkage in place. I used a long straight edge screwdriver to push the new bushing in place. The bushing is fairly plyable so it goes in pretty easy. Push the NEW!! clip on...Done
I did two cars in about 30 mins. AutoHauz AZ has the parts. Two Bushings, 4 clips = about $4.00
Before attempting to install new bushing push a rag into the gap between the body and heat shield so WHEN the bushing pops out....it won't fall behind the heat shield. Good luck and buy the extra clips...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts