Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
(maybe) 2010 E550 4-Matic
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: does this car have 2 catalytic converters or 4?

I have a 2001 E320 4-matic with 72000 miles. Last week it developed a metallic clatter from underneath the car. The sound is like a loose shield and not like a can of marbles - so I looked as best I could for the noise. No luck. I took it to my tire-changing, american-car guy who threw it up on the lift and said it appears to be coming from the right rear cat/muffler/resonator. He said the rear units look like cats to him.

The noise only starts after the car warms up - and only at idle and just off idle (that I can hear anyway).

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
take it to the local mb dealer, as long as your car has less than 80k miles, they will replace the cats for free. your car is still under warranty.
and probably you shouldn't let your local tire place diagnose anything not related to tires in your car.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Question: does this car have 2 catalytic converters or 4?

I have a 2001 E320 4-matic with 72000 miles. Last week it developed a metallic clatter from underneath the car. The sound is like a loose shield and not like a can of marbles - so I looked as best I could for the noise. No luck. I took it to my tire-changing, american-car guy who threw it up on the lift and said it appears to be coming from the right rear cat/muffler/resonator. He said the rear units look like cats to him.

The noise only starts after the car warms up - and only at idle and just off idle (that I can hear anyway).
Hey, mpr. There are four cats, two right near the engine and two that come together just aft of the transmission. You can see them in this pic:

When the cats start to go they can make more of a vibrating/ringing sound (which will usually develop into the can of marbles), although there is a heat shield that can come loose; if you're sure it's not the heat shield then it's more likely the cat (mufflers seem to last a long, long time in these cars). Cats can fail in your mileage range, and the good thing for you is they are warranted for 8 years/80,000 miles. So take it in to your dealer and have them check/replace.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Per

above 8yr or 80000 miles which ever comes first.So get ye to the dealer for inspection.If for some reason not the cats,drive away and get whatever it is fixed at an indie,much cheaper:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Will the dealer attempt to charge for labor, brackets, hangars, paper floor mats - or is a warranty repair like this all inclusive?

Let me ask this another way - Can the dealer legally charge for labor, brackets, hangars, paper floor mats - or is a warranty repair like this all inclusive?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Thanks for the info. Will the dealer attempt to charge for labor, brackets, hangars, paper floor mats - or is a warranty repair like this all inclusive?

Let me ask this another way - Can the dealer legally charge for labor, brackets, hangars, paper floor mats - or is a warranty repair like this all inclusive?
This is an EPA-mandated warranty for all US cars and it applies only to the defective cat. If you have other damage that is not part of the cat then they'll let you know. On the W210 it is all welded up so unless it's something like an underbody heat shield then it will be covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Correct, it is for the cats only. I just dropped mine off at the dealer for an alignment and the service advisor noticed a rattle under the car. He is replacing the defective cat(s) under federal warranty, but he said the O2 sensors can be tricky to remove. If they have to replace, I will have to pay that part.

trey

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
but he said the O2 sensors can be tricky to remove. If they have to replace, I will have to pay that part.

trey
Nonsense, they are very easy to remove. I'll take you a bet they'll say that they couldn't remove the old one(s) and will charge you about $250 a sensor.:eek: I've replaced a cat at 85K miles/6 years and they came out very easy.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Nonsense, they are very easy to remove. I'll take you a bet they'll say that they couldn't remove the old one(s) and will charge you about $250 a sensor. I've replaced a cat at 85K miles/6 years and they came out very easy.
I'm not a lawyer but that sounds like fraud to me. Some Sears and a Midas Muffler were caught on camera doing similar things.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
We'll see what happens. They had to order the cat and it will be here tomorrow. Not sure how to prove it one way or another.

trey

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
To

confirm the cat failure and to check operation of both they should run a scan to test o2 function and if you need them they will show you.
Get the cat fixed by them and tell them no thanks on the o2 they are easy r/r and only 90 bucks ea. and all 4 need to go at 100k so wait awhile.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Replacing O2 sensors at 100K

...all 4 need to go at 100k so wait awhile.
ohlord
Ohlord,

I don't remember reading that until now. Are you saying once we reach 100,000 miles we should replace all 4 O2 sensors as a "regular" or preventative maintenance item?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Yup

cats last a long tome if not defective or something wrong with the engine.
O2 sensors on the other hand fry up,die,get lazy,etc. and the pre cat one will start throwing off the fuel curve and fewer mpg plus problems with maf codes and cats.
so maint life is suggested at 100k
or go cheap and just leave the post cat ones and at least do the pre cats o2's
they see all the action
not to bad in price at trusty old Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Thanks for the info OhLord. The good news for me is that I have nearly 30,000 miles to go before I reach 100,000! :)

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Nonsense, they are very easy to remove. I'll take you a bet they'll say that they couldn't remove the old one(s) and will charge you about $250 a sensor.:eek: I've replaced a cat at 85K miles/6 years and they came out very easy.
You'd lose the bet. Cat was replaced and no charge for anything. No problem with the O2 sensor.

trey

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
Good - I'm happy to loose that bet. It's nice to find out that there still are dealers around that look after their customers and not try to rip them off. Treasure your dealer. :D

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Yeah, I have to admit I was a little surprised he didn't try and add that on. I've had good luck with the dealer service, but I only use them for alignments and very few other repairs. I have an excellent indy that does 95% of the work, but I wasn't about to pay for a cat that was under warranty.

trey

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So - just got back from the dealer. They looked the cats over and indeed the passenger rear cat is bad. But... they also found a small crease in the cat about 1 inch long and about the thickness of pencil lead - and said they could not fix this under warranty because it was physically damaged. They said their claim to MB would be denied if there was any physical damage to the cat (or any pipe connected as part of the assembly) when they sent it back. They then, with straight faces, quoted me $1750 to which I said No with a never-going-to-come-here-again-and-I-will-drive-300-miles-to-another-dealer-to-buy-my-next-MB face.

Cars are fun.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Splice

in an oem universal cat from racepages.com for about 50 bucks or they have the whole unit pipes and all for less then 5bills and a diy somewhere in the diy section on the forum.Any good custom muffler shop can splice in the uni.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Call

mbusa.The external crease is not the cause of the failure and the dealer knows it.Be kind,be non combative and ask what can be done to rectify a situation they are well aware of.
See if that gets you anywhere:thumbsup:
:bowdown:eek:hlord

1 - 20 of 29 Posts