Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 R107 560SL, 2006 R230 SL500
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have one battery strap that's broken off on both sides, and one that's looking very sketchy, does anyone have a set for sale? By set I mean both sides of the strap, both straps, so 4 pieces total, they seem to sell a "set" online as 2 of the ones with the buckle...adding part number so I can find it easily -
107-840-00-88

Sleeve Collar Pattern Tints and shades Font

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the issue is one of the sides with the hook is missing from the vehicle entirely, so I figured maybe I'd get lucky. The remaining one seems to hold it just fine, so I can try the welding thing if it breaks. Thanks for taking the time to respond tho I appreciate any help I can get!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
34,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did save that thread, thank you, the issue is it only addresses if you actually have both sides of the straps, and I am missing the short side entirely. Perhaps however an entirely new flexible strap could be fashioned and not even use the metal ones at all...hmmmm...have to think on that...would there be any reason they would have to be made of metal and not something like a heavy vinyl or other type of sturdy non-metal material?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
13,851 Posts
Good part to have a flat pattern made for. You could probably get 5 or 10 straps made from SendCutSend for ~ $30. Of course you would have to bend them and rivet them yourself. If someone wants to send me really accurate dimensions, I will make the CAD file.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good part to have a flat pattern made for. You could probably get 5 or 10 straps made from SendCutSend for ~ $30. Of course you would have to bend them and rivet them yourself. If someone wants to send me really accurate dimensions, I will make the CAD file.
I have to remove the battery to get the measurements on the strap behind the battery, going to do that today, will send measurements over, thanks!! But can't I just use the measurements to make them out of something flexible other than metal, is what I'm wondering...for what reason do they have to be metal, I mean I know metal might last longer but if it continually breaks off at that one spot and has to be repaired...welding and such, seems like a pain...

I have these Kuranda dog beds, made out of sail cloth, supposed to have a lifetime warranty...

This sounds great but how would one cut it? :p

·
Premium Member
13,851 Posts
I have to remove the battery to get the measurements on the strap behind the battery, going to do that today, will send measurements over, thanks!! But can't I just use the measurements to make them out of something flexible other than metal, is what I'm wondering...for what reason do they have to be metal, I mean I know metal might last longer but if it continually breaks off at that one spot and has to be repaired...welding and such, seems like a pain...

I have these Kuranda dog beds, made out of sail cloth, supposed to have a lifetime warranty...

This sounds great but how would one cut it? :p

Any material could be used. Leather or nylon type straps. And the hinge idea is a great. Really only worth cutting new ones out if steel for concourse type authenticity. But the steel strips could be made at about $30 for 10 of them or so to make up the minimum order.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any material could be used. Leather or nylon type straps. And the hinge idea is a great. Really only worth cutting new ones out if steel for concourse type authenticity. But the steel strips could be made at about $30 for 10 of them or so to make up the minimum order.
You bring up a good point. I keep trying to decide, how much authenticity? I really like everything about the car just the way it is, and my OCD nature would like to strive for that "concourse authenticity". But really some things seem counterintuitive, to recreate a known problem with a part that no one but a person replacing the battery would see. I see some repairs with duct tape, cable ties, I don't really want to go there... Something to think on.

·
Premium Member
13,851 Posts
You bring up a good point. I keep trying to decide, how much authenticity? I really like everything about the car just the way it is, and my OCD nature would like to strive for that "concourse authenticity". But really some things seem counterintuitive, to recreate a known problem with a part that no one but a person replacing the battery would see. I see some repairs with duct tape, cable ties, I don't really want to go there... Something to think on.
I would think something like this could be adapted very nicely.

·
34,397 Posts
I used an aircraft passenger seat belt to hold my battery in place on one of my old cars.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I used an aircraft passenger seat belt to hold my battery in place on one of my old cars.
YES...WE KNOW...just two questions: is there any repair you DIDN'T use an aircraft part for, and have you achieved lift-off yet?

EDIT: WAIT I know #2 answer - YES!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My car did not seem to come with enough metal straps...no battery box either.
Howerver, when installing my new/used battery box, I found the missing strap. It was under the battery all along.
View attachment 2767556
I’ve changed the battery a few times and never noticed it, but I’ll look again when I pull it out to get the part measurements for roncallo. I got annoyed with the frozen screw on my antenna motor and worked on cleaning up the door handles instead of doing that…

·
34,397 Posts

·
34,397 Posts
I still don't get the pig thing...
I'll make it quick.

When I installed the Pentas on my SL I received many oohs and aahs.

My response was that they were just lipstick on a PIG.

Every car needs a name and Colonel Klink was taken. :)

• Haha
Reactions: sqljunkie
1 - 20 of 22 Posts