Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading more than 400 comments on the subject, I purchased the PSE Q6820971, eliminator cable kit Q6820976, BT Adapter B 67875856 - together with a Motorola Q - Blue light in the adapter stays on, but no telephone connection....Booked in for version coding..Any other suggestions from the experts would be very much appreciated. Thank You
The car: 2001 CL500 US version

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Assuming you have everything connected properly, and since you added the phone, the car must be told that it now has one in the D2B fiberoptic loop. I guess that's what you meant by version coding. This is done with the MB SDS system. After that you should be good to go.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming you have everything connected properly, and since you added the phone, the car must be told that it now has one in the D2B fiberoptic loop. I guess that's what you meant by version coding. This is done with the MB SDS system. After that you should be good to go.
Thank you for the speedy reply. I will find out on Friday....
FYI: I did have the StarTac and lateron the MIKBox telephone activated.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Thank you for the speedy reply. I will find out on Friday....
FYI: I did have the StarTac and lateron the MIKBox telephone activated.
Isn't MikBox connected to the D2B fibre loop too? Are you sure your fibre loop is properly connected to a ring, just like the MikBox was? Input and Output at the correct position?

D2B should be flexible, it usually works without coding although the current configuration should be saved for diagnosis purposes. Version coding is mostly for activating the steering wheel buttons and the cluster menu. But your car might be different, you will find it once the car is diagnosed with Star.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
You may have to remove the MikBox in order for the system to work properly.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may have to remove the MikBox in order for the system to work properly.

I did remove the MikBox and the cradle...prior to installing the new PSE unit.
Also replaced the cradle with the eliminator cable..and noticed that the MikBox cable to the cradle and the eliminator cable are identical..Could have saved some US Dollars...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer noticed that my radio was cutting out, which I never noticed since I don't listen to it..after then checking the D2B fiberoptic cable, they discovered a "leak" - New cable ordered, then we will see.....

Ich liebe meinen Mercedes - aber heute nicht ----

·
Registered
2005 CL65 AMG, 2007 Ferrari F430
790 Posts
Leak.... lol

OK, if there is a Mikbox, it MUST be removed. That PSE may not be software compatible with your head unit ( am not with my EIS right now). If you have a damaged cable (kinked) then your system will not work well at all. If it is chaffed, then a simple tape wrap with white tape will fix it.
All and all, this is a pretty long way around to get bluetooth in that car. There are much easier ways that work a lot better. But since you are in it this far, try the coding and PM me if that does not work and I can look up the PSE part number for you.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leak.... lol

OK, if there is a Mikbox, it MUST be removed. That PSE may not be software compatible with your head unit ( am not with my EIS right now). If you have a damaged cable (kinked) then your system will not work well at all. If it is chaffed, then a simple tape wrap with white tape will fix it.
All and all, this is a pretty long way around to get bluetooth in that car. There are much easier ways that work a lot better. But since you are in it this far, try the coding and PM me if that does not work and I can look up the PSE part number for you.
As per Skylaw's recommendations, and as I mentioned in my first posting, I did install the required PSE Q 6820971 and I did remove the MIKbox. A leak was detected in the optic cable, new cable is presently on order - hope this will solve the problem. What would have been the easier ways that work better? But as you say: I am in it this far now - too late to change direction. However, I appreciate your offer of help.

·
Registered
790 Posts
No offense to Skylaw at all, because he offers a lot of great advice here. But we disagree a lot about certain items from time to time. I say we just have to agree to disagree. The main problem is I either manufacture or distribute items for Mercedes, so that makes me biased in some ways (although I will often readily admit when other alternatives are available, as I am all about freedom of information).
Anyway, the Argos module has sold over 12,000 units, and works with every phone on the market. It is one box, as it is a PSE with bluetooth built into it, and there is nothing else to plug in or buy. It is foolproof and simply works. BUT, it is not a Mercedes part. It has been on the market since 2004 and is what generally replaced the Mikbox in the marketplace. I used to work closely with Mik when he was developing his unit in 2003, and then helped Randy when he was developing the Argos around the same time. Mik got to market first, but was fairly quickly supplanted with bluetooth from Randy (Argos). I have been in the Mercedes upgrades arena ever since, including developing our own products for the MOST fiber optic cars.
Anyway, there is a lot of bad information out there, and on this site. Mostly just misunderstood facts (I admit even I have been wrong before). But when it comes to D2B and MOST fiber optic systems, there are not too many people outside MB design that know as much as my group.
Anyway, I don't really care if you buy product from us or not, as we have plenty of business... what we really want is to promote the Mercedes Benz marque and make sure people get what they need. That will always bring us business one way or another. So if I can offer any help, or look anything up for ya, let me know.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
The PSE calgary bought is the Universal PSE, designed specifically to replace older D2B PSEs throughout the Mercedes line. I suspect he will find his system will work properly when the damaged fiber optic line is replaced. So will the rest of his fiber optic system, where he indicates he has problems.

We look forward to the update from calgary.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I hope it does work for him. However, I have to add, that we get called several times a week from dealers all over the US about the "Universal" PSE. It does not work in many applications. Hence the reason the dealers are always calling us about it.
The biggest problem that I have stated many times, is there is 68 combinations of car software, head unit, gateway combos. BUT Mercedes technical only recognizes that there are only 26. The reason many of the things they produce do not always work as advertised.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope it does work for him. However, I have to add, that we get called several times a week from dealers all over the US about the "Universal" PSE. It does not work in many applications. Hence the reason the dealers are always calling us about it.
The biggest problem that I have stated many times, is there is 68 combinations of car software, head unit, gateway combos. BUT Mercedes technical only recognizes that there are only 26. The reason many of the things they produce do not always work as advertised.
"It does not work in many applications"
That is NOT what I wanted to hear.....
I hope Skylaw is right, and it will work.
Just hoping that Mercedes Benz Canada has the proper cable in the country, otherwise we will have to wait for Stuttgart...

·
Registered
790 Posts
D2B cable is D2B cable. If they give you the run around, just tell me how long, and if it is one segment or a pair, and we can hook you up.
Since you have come all this way, I REALLY want this to work for you. As much as you do. It is so frustrating when things do not work out. Even on a selfish note, you don't know how many calls every day we get from people that are already pissed and frustrated from "solutions" that others have led them too and did not work. Makes our job much harder.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Then how about listing what you know doesn't work?

It would be helpful to the forum if you would post the D2B applications in which the Universal PSE will not work. Mercedes markets it as a universal upgrade suitable for the StarTac, TimePort, and Autosense PSEs in cars that lack any MB handsfree system, and as a universal replacement for those D2B cars having older handsfree installations with non "blue label" StarTac, TimePort, and Autosense PSEs.

If your information is different, we'd all like to see the specifics - and I would like to reference it in the "How-To Guide."

·
Registered
790 Posts
give me a few days to compile that, and I will post it for you. I agree that would be helpful in your guides. You do great work here, btw!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
D2B cable arrrived at the dealership....Of course it is not what is needed...Next step is
InCarTronics...I just have to get the exact length of each cable.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
D2B cable is D2B cable. If they give you the run around, just tell me how long, and if it is one segment or a pair, and we can hook you up.
Since you have come all this way, I REALLY want this to work for you. As much as you do. It is so frustrating when things do not work out. Even on a selfish note, you don't know how many calls every day we get from people that are already pissed and frustrated from "solutions" that others have led them too and did not work. Makes our job much harder.
After waiting for 5 weeks for the dealer to provide me the cable, I was now told that Mercedes Benz Germany shows this cable as "discontinued"
PM sent to InCarTronics today - hoping they can help

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Latest update on this horror story: After Germany told the dealer the required optic cable is "discontinued", I found Keith Valentine very helpfull, he mailed the exact kit - for half the price I had been quoted by the dealer. The blue light in the Bluetooth Cradle Adapter flashes - the Motorola Q accepts the signal - but on the Comand the famous: "Error: Tel. not plugged in" -
I now must agree with InCarTronics, Mercedes is selling items that do not work as advertised.
Any suggestions from the technical experts would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A big "Thank You" again to Keith Valentine, who pointed out the fact that there are different versions of PSE Q6820971. The one I received from Mercedes Benz Canada, with the understanding that it is NOT RETURNABLE, IF IT DOES NOT WORK, because Mercedes Benz Canada does not support this modification, did not work. After removing the Big Part number label, a small number underneath convinced Keith Valentine that a different version of Q6820971 was needed. He mailed me the correct one at a lower price than what I had paid to the local Mercedes dealer - I received it today - installed it and:
My bluetooth is working - It was a long and expensive endeaver....Thanks for all the help and suggestions from different people on this forum.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts