Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share this nice card that a friend at MB Canada's head office sent to me :)

Those of you with 19" wheels and driving in the snow, take extra care as the wheels curb very very easily and there is zero margin for error. I know from avoiding a tightly plowed road and a snowbank today on the left, :eek: Fortunately it's minor, except in my mind as I'm rather anal. Never had any problems with this on my 18" wheels.

Seasons Greetings! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Merrry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Merry Christmas too ! At least we're still using this line.
Most people in the Toronto area would rather use "Happy Holidays" to be non-religious.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas.

As you can see Santa Claus is also driving Mercedes this year, a Mercedes model 319 bus. :)

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Party-on like Santa on Christmas day today!

·
Where's my auto-leveling?
3,390 Posts
Thought I'd share this nice card that a friend at MB Canada's head office sent to me :)

Those of you with 19" wheels and driving in the snow, take extra care as the wheels curb very very easily and there is zero margin for error. I know from avoiding a tightly plowed road and a snowbank today on the left, :eek: Fortunately it's minor, except in my mind as I'm rather anal. Never had any problems with this on my 18" wheels.

Seasons Greetings! :)

Merry Christmas Drew and everybody.

Drew, can you explain your comment about the 19" wheels? I just brought my '09 ML350 home on Saturday and I haven't taken it out in the snow yet.

Thanks,

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andy,

Just that the sidewalls are not very tall due to the wheel being quite large. Thus if you happen to "kiss" a curb of average height, chance are that you will probably scratch the lip of the wheel.

I never had this problem with the 18" wheels, despite some brushes, so just be aware that you have to be even more careful. I even have the small convex mirrors pointed downwards on the exterior rear view mirrors so that I can check when rounding corners! I thought I already was, but apparently not enough! Fortunately I think I can fix it myself to a satisfactory level with some bondo filler and paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Yes low profile tires and large diameter wheels on a SUV do require a bit of extra care.

·
Where's my auto-leveling?
3,390 Posts
Andy,

Just that the sidewalls are not very tall due to the wheel being quite large. Thus if you happen to "kiss" a curb of average height, chance are that you will probably scratch the lip of the wheel.

I never had this problem with the 18" wheels, despite some brushes, so just be aware that you have to be even more careful. I even have the small convex mirrors pointed downwards on the exterior rear view mirrors so that I can check when rounding corners! I thought I already was, but apparently not enough! Fortunately I think I can fix it myself to a satisfactory level with some bondo filler and paint.
Drew,

Thank you for the warning, I didn't know about that so I will be very careful. I remember the 50 seires tires I had on the '03 ML had a 3/8" bead that stuck out past the rim to prevent that kind of damage. They were the Continental Cross Contacts tires. I might want to switch to those.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Snow!

I know you guys in the East will say, what's the big deal. But here in Portland, we don't get long snow events too often. We've had 19" in the last couple weeks, and people here don't know how to deal with it! My '08 M3 has been in the garage 2 weeks now. Maybe by Monday it will take to the road again. In the meantime, my ML with 19" Pirelli Ice & Snows had got me through everything. I have never had to put on chains on 10 years of ML ownership. I do have an extra set of new Ruuds, if soneone wants a deal, though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Wow that's some serious snow for low altitude western Washington/Oregon.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
Fröhliche Weihnachten, und ein gutes, schönes und gesundes neues Jahr meine "online" Freunde.
Does anyone here know French to translate this?

That was in German. It says “Merry Christmas and a Happy, Beautiful and Healthy New Year for my online Friends .
Here is a greeting in French:
"Joyeux Noël à tous" (Merry Christmas Everybody).

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Thankfully Christmas 2008 is over with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts