Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'90 300 CE, '91 560 SEC, (R.I.P.) '82 300SD (sold)
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I found a black Euro '84 500SEL that has been "converted" to a Chevy 350cid with custom made headers and exhaust. It needs an interior, but externally looks pretty good. It looks very stock from the outside complete with euro bumpers, headlamps and 14" bundt wheels with new tires.

The guy is asking $2500 for it. He says he spent around $1200 just for the exhaust system. Just curious as to what other people think. I'm mainly just interested in getting him to sell me the triangle reflector from the trunk, but told him I would check around to see if anyone might be interested.

·
Registered
One Smoke Silver '87 570SEC, one Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,521 Posts
If he's still using the Mercedes steering box, $1200 might be about right for the exhaust system! It's a tight fit under there!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mramay said:
If he's still using the Mercedes steering box, $1200 might be about right for the exhaust system! It's a tight fit under there!!
He is. The driver's side exhaust goes up to clear the box before going back and down, while the headers on the right side look more conventional.

·
Registered
BOOsted W126
1,372 Posts
yep thats what i need for my convertion, the passanger header clears no problem but the drivers is all custom, any pics of the car???

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
i wana some pics of the engine bay..

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
By this weekend I'll have the rack & pinion (R&P) mounted in the SEC. The rack mounting plate is at the machine shop and they're also doing the final work to the modified steering arms. The heim joint rod ends should be in by Friday. Once this is done, I need to connect the Mercedes steering column to the R&P input shaft.

All of which means I won't have that big lump of a steering box on the frame rail and can do much more with exhaust systems. I'm using an LS2 cast iron manifold on the LS6 since it is the easiest way to go at this point, with the realization that a stock LS2 is 400HP, so it should flow reasonably well. With the R&P in there, I can go to a set of tubular headers later, perhaps something stock for a GM LS6 engine.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
you better post some pics when you can mike, and jay where is this car? i think i have seen this one around the area at one point---is it white??

·
Registered
BOOsted W126
1,372 Posts
mramay said:
By this weekend I'll have the rack & pinion (R&P) mounted in the SEC. The rack mounting plate is at the machine shop and they're also doing the final work to the modified steering arms. The heim joint rod ends should be in by Friday. Once this is done, I need to connect the Mercedes steering column to the R&P input shaft.

All of which means I won't have that big lump of a steering box on the frame rail and can do much more with exhaust systems. I'm using an LS2 cast iron manifold on the LS6 since it is the easiest way to go at this point, with the realization that a stock LS2 is 400HP, so it should flow reasonably well. With the R&P in there, I can go to a set of tubular headers later, perhaps something stock for a GM LS6 engine.
why didnt you just go with what im going with, its a chevy 400 6.6L small block, fits in with little modification, and you can keep you factory steeting box. my motor which is built puts about 360+ horsepower

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HeirKranz said:
you better post some pics when you can mike, and jay where is this car? i think i have seen this one around the area at one point---is it white??
It's black and its in Sarasota near my house. I'd take some pics of it but my digital camera has died. I've got to buy a new one. :-( Its been there for several months, so I doubt its going anywhere soon.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
CivicTuning2 said:
why didnt you just go with what im going with, its a chevy 400 6.6L small block, fits in with little modification, and you can keep you factory steeting box. my motor which is built puts about 360+ horsepower
I've decided to do this as difficult as possible. I have an '02 LS6 engine out of a Z06 Vette. After modifications, it dyno'd at around 480 HP and this engine/tranny weigh about 50 pounds LESS than the MB pair. A SBC is an iron block/heads, around 575 pounds for the engine alone, the LS6 complete is 434.

The LS6 block hit the MB steering box so that decided the rack & pinion. I get to do a custom PCM (computer), special wiring harness, dual electric fans on the radiator, rack & pinion steering, etc. etc. I think about the only MB stuff I'll be re-using forward of the secondary firewall are the MB engine radiator and AC condenser radiator.

It's a complicated task to do this but it will be worth it the first time that sleeping giant awakes.

I'll have some photos of the R&P in the next day or two, assuming the machine shop gets my parts completed tomorrow (Friday) as they thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts