Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, :smile
I have this 1999 Mercedez C230 that has a broken key and Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS). I could take it to the dealer and it would cost me what my car cost to get it replaced. :frownNow I know the Key, EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch), ESL (Electronic Steering Lock) and ECU (ELectronic Ignition module) are all VIN Coded together. But if I were to replace all these three parts (KEY/EIS,ESL,ECU) from another donor car a 2002 Mercedes C230 would it work? Would the car start and run? Anybody try this?:|:confused:

Im just worried about the ECU part number. My ECU is A0235458532 and the donor car has ECU part number A0205450932 but same plugs and harness connection. I mean would the three pieces technically only need to be the same for the car to work? For the DAS to recognize all three VINS/codes in each piece match up?:help:

Thanks in advance!:grin

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,830 Posts
In theory it would work. But you would need to replace all the locks, the DAS module, the ECU, possibly the TCU, the EIS, the ESL etc. etc. etc. And there is no guarantee this would work. if the dealership is charging you an exorbitant amount, call up some different dealerships. Usually a new EIS shouldn't be terribly expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got the same situation where i replace the ecu,eis,esl and key,and the vihicle will start and move but after few weeks the key wont turn ignition, any body can help this?

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
15 Posts
OK
In theory it would work. But you would need to replace all the locks, the DAS module, the ECU, possibly the TCU, the EIS, the ESL etc. etc. etc. And there is no guarantee this would work. if the dealership is charging you an exorbitant amount, call up some different dealerships. Usually a new EIS shouldn't be terribly expensive.
Patman1 I have a question for you as you seem to know your stuff. W203 2002 C320....The key started not turning intermittently. Did some research and came up with ESL. The motor did not engage(no wirring motor noise) to unlock when key put in. But always locked when key pulled out. So in unlocked position I unhooked the battery and removed the ESL. Opened up the ESL and removed the motor. Bench tested it and it worked. Decided to clean up the motor as it was filthy but when cleaning the carbon brushes with a Q-tip they disintegrated. Found the correct 203 motor on ebay but it was a 20-60 day ship time. Found a used ESL and shipped it in($175CAN). Took the circuit board out of the new(used) unit and replaced it with the original board from the original ESL. Hooked it up and exact same situation. Doesnt unlock when key put in but locks when key pulled out(left off of steering column for testing). Tried a few things to see if I could "trick it" into thinking the ESL was in open position, nothing worked. So now I'm thinking the key? It is older but functions properly with all locks/alarm/panic etc.....and programming still works fine for locking drivers only or all 4 doors. I'm at a loss....Why would the ESL function properly for locking but not unlocking. Maybe the key or ECU isnt communicating properly with the ESL? Maybe I farted around with it too much and it's shut down completely-"theft prevention"? The dealership is pretty much out of the question financially.....the bill would be more than I paid for her....love the 320sport wagon....engine and tranny are pretty much bulletproof.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
15 Posts
OK

Patman1 I have a question for you as you seem to know your stuff. W203 2002 C320....The key started not turning intermittently. Did some research and came up with ESL. The motor did not engage(no wirring motor noise) to unlock when key put in. But always locked when key pulled out. So in unlocked position I unhooked the battery and removed the ESL. Opened up the ESL and removed the motor. Bench tested it and it worked. Decided to clean up the motor as it was filthy but when cleaning the carbon brushes with a Q-tip they disintegrated. Found the correct 203 motor on ebay but it was a 20-60 day ship time. Found a used ESL and shipped it in($175CAN). Took the circuit board out of the new(used) unit and replaced it with the original board from the original ESL. Hooked it up and exact same situation. Doesnt unlock when key put in but locks when key pulled out(left off of steering column for testing). Tried a few things to see if I could "trick it" into thinking the ESL was in open position, nothing worked. So now I'm thinking the key? It is older but functions properly with all locks/alarm/panic etc.....and programming still works fine for locking drivers only or all 4 doors. I'm at a loss....Why would the ESL function properly for locking but not unlocking. Maybe the key or ECU isnt communicating properly with the ESL? Maybe I farted around with it too much and it's shut down completely-"theft prevention"? The dealership is pretty much out of the question financially.....the bill would be more than I paid for her....love the 320sport wagon....engine and tranny are pretty much bulletproof.
It was a piece of fluff in the Key FOB!!!Thanks to bobby735!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts