Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I viewed Part #10 on changing the shifter bushings and thought that it was the best of the bunch so far. Kent showed not only how to use the his special tool for rear bushing, but also how to remove the front assembly and replace the bushing on the bench. Very helpful, as I need to do these bushings on my car. I have noticed that all of the videos are centered around selling a special tool and parts kits, so be advised his priority of these videos is selling stuff. But some of them are helpful in showing you the problems you need to overcome in order to do the specific task. The question I still have is do I need the tool to press on the rear busing that must be done on the car in place?
All Kent did was reprise a video he made several years ago. Apparently the same shifter bushings have been used on many Mercedes models for a few decades. I bought the bushing insertion tool approximately 2 years ago and the current video is pretty much the same, only a different model.

One other thing... on my '83 380 I did not have to remove the front shift lever in order to install the clip or the bushing. I did it all on the car.

Here's one of Kent's earlier videos demonstrating the same tool. This video is 6 years old...

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
489 Posts
Here's one of Kent's earlier videos demonstrating the same tool. This video is 6 years old...

Well, I still liked the R107 video better, because it showed me what was going on with my car and not a 190E. I didn't even know where the bushings were or how to get at them before watching the video. I think I can get the bushings on with my own special tool and save $40. We shall see! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Well, I still liked the R107 video better, because it showed me what was going on with my car and not a 190E. I didn't even know where the bushings were or how to get at them before watching the video. I think I can get the bushings on with my own special tool and save $40. We shall see! :cool:
I wish you well... I had a hell of a time replacing mine even with the tool. I think I had to use clamps from my woodworking tools to help squeeze the handles of Kent's tool closed tight and then rotate the crap out of the entire mess to get that damn nylon bushing to slide into place. There are videos on this forum that show how to get the bushings in using a nut, bolt and spacer (I think).
Good luck... it isn't as easy as Kent's video makes it look.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,784 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I viewed Part #10 on changing the shifter bushings and thought that it was the best of the bunch so far. Kent showed not only how to use the his special tool for rear bushing, but also how to remove the front assembly and replace the bushing on the bench. Very helpful, as I need to do these bushings on my car. I have noticed that all of the videos are centered around selling a special tool and parts kits, so be advised his priority of these videos is selling stuff. But some of them are helpful in showing you the problems you need to overcome in order to do the specific task. The question I still have is do I need the tool to press on the rear busing that must be done on the car in place?
I purchased that Shifter Bushing tool on Ebay along with the two nylon bushings and two new clips.
Installed the nylon bushings without removing the linkage.
The nylon bushings are easier to install if you grease them and make a small nip with wire cutters first.
I used an ordinary pick tool to pop loose the clips.

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
489 Posts

I purchased that Shifter Bushing tool on Ebay along with the two nylon bushings and two new clips.

[/QUOTE]
It looks like the Ebay option is no longer possible - I don't see anything but bushings. It seems that the front one is the most difficult one to install. Why is there so much resistance on removing it and reinstalling with the linkage and bushing off the car? It appeared to be a 5 minute job in removing it from the car? Is there fear you can't get it lined back up and the shifter might be out of sink? Pressing in with a bolt and washer through a large nut with a vice would appear to be pretty simple. The one in the rear worries me most, but I have yet seen this on the car. Not sure if it is removalble, or not?

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
It looks like the Ebay option is no longer possible - I don't see anything but bushings. It seems that the front one is the most difficult one to install. Why is there so much resistance on removing it and reinstalling with the linkage and bushing off the car? It appeared to be a 5 minute job in removing it from the car? Is there fear you can't get it lined back up and the shifter might be out of sink? Pressing in with a bolt and washer through a large nut with a vice would appear to be pretty simple. The one in the rear worries me most, but I have yet seen this on the car. Not sure if it is removalble, or not?
[/QUOTE]
I don't remember why I opted to install the front bushing with the shift lever still attached to the transmission. I probably thought that taking the shift lever off and then putting it back on was more trouble than just using the tool to insert the bushing with the shift lever in place. In any event, the tool enables you to install the bush with the shift lever still attached to the transmission but it doesn't leave much room up there for your hands to get around the handle of the tool for squeezing.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts