Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
It is unpleasant to see Mercedes-Benz losing its quality.
Related with article above, I have few questions for respectable readers.
Thank you for answers in advance.[:)]

1. Do you think Mercedes-Benz will be able to find its glorious reputation and high quality back? And, When?

2. What do you think the cause of recent problem of Mercedes-Benz?

3. How long do you think Toyota / Lexus’s outrun will last?

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
Benz Devil - 2/9/2005 6:49 AM

1. Do you think Mercedes-Benz will be able to find its glorious reputation and high quality back? And, When?

My answers:
1. I do, at least I hope.

2. In my opinion, Mercedes-Benz still suffers from huge acquisition of Chrysler. Many economists and business consultant merging with Chrysler was necessary since not many auto makers will survive in the near future due to stiff competition. But I think Mercedes-Benz gave up too much.

3. I do not know. Hope not that long. I agree with that Toyota / Lexus produce quality vehicle and contributed a lot in automotive industry (especially, hybrid vehicle). Sometimes, however, I do not like their direction since it is too business oriented.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Having ordered my first Mercedes this kind of disturbs
me. I should be taking delivery within the next few weeks, hope their is not much fact to this story.
I'm looking forward to my SLK350 being an extremely enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
1996 S600 (Sebastian), 1999 SLK230 Kompressor (Tie Fighter)
638 Posts
i wonder if it has anything to do with a story the wall street journal ran last year regarding mb manufacturing some of their autos in china. they probably attempted to cut costs but quality obviously suffered. not good. your customers will not return if you don't keep the quality where the price demands it needs to be. this will be a fix they can handle as long as they don't play games with it. they must take it seriously and deal with it even if they have to take a shot on their bottom line. if i was the chair i'd have someone's ass for letting it happen in the first place...unless of course the chair approved it... [8D]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Benz Devil - 2/9/2005 6:49 AM

My answers:
1. Nope, never.. Their cars are no longer a progression of design/trial & error.. They are new, untried designs/electronics and their resulting quailty issues prove they are always a step or two ahead of themselves.

2. They want to make more $$$.. why else would the build a truck in Alabama??

3. A LONG time.. For what ever reason the Japanese are able to produce fairly cutting edge cars that hold up well.

Jonathan

·
Registered
02 C230 Kompressor
12 Posts
I think a lot of this is subjective. I recently got my Honda stolen and decided to take a look at a car I really wanted now that I was out from under the Honda. I looked to Benz. What I found was that the quality in everything in the C230 I bought (mind you, an 'entry-level' Benz as well) was 50 times that of even the nicest Accord, and many of the Acuras that I've seen.

The point I'm trying to make is that I have owned many Hondas and swore by them until I got this last one, it was a MY97 Civic. Although a commuter car, Civics have a good reputation for quality. As this was my second one, I had no worries about buying it. However, as I found out, build quality left much to be desired throughout the 94-00 model years, and mine was no exception.

When I looked at the Benz and all the features that it had, and the balance of power, handling and build quality that I thought were well preportioned in the C230 I found that I was very surprised. Not to mention the way the dealership bends over backwards to make things happen.

Its a good feeling.

So, in other words the "drop in quality" is very subjective. There will always be mistakes that a car maker makes in the quest to evolve and when working with a maker like MB (unfortunately now linked to Chrysler) who is always trying to push the envalope of style, power, technology, etc. while trying to save a little cash - things like this are bound to happen.

Aaron

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
We need a separate forum for the subject.

Just remember when trying to determine which MBs are good and which are bad:

“Letters first, it’s the worst.�

[:(]

·
Registered
02 C240
17 Posts
regaining upmost quality and dependability is a big issue for MB and high on the priority list, for me my 02 has had its share of problems, but MB has lived up to their name by promptly taking care of my car and accomadating me, I have so much faith in MB service from experience I have hardly noticed or been put out by any mishaps

·
Registered
357 Posts
Benz Devil - 2/9/2005 8:49 AM

1. Yes, but it will take some time and an investment in quality production/supervision. As an example - MB will be getting rid of some of the more troublesome electronic features in their future cars. But, these will be features that research shows that folks don't use. So, one will still get a car with all the "bells & whistles", but it should be more reliable.

2. Based on recent articles in various publications, the consensus appears to be that the German manufacturers took quality for granted when vehicle production vastly increased. Meanwhile, their Japanese counterparts took quality into consideration when their production increased.

3. It will last as long as folks believe they make a better vehicle. German quality must dramatically increase. Also, as they tend to introduce cutting technology first, it will have to be more reliable up front - not a few years after introduction. This will probably mean better testing during the design phase.

·
Registered
1991 190E 2.6 Auto, Artic White/grey MB-Tex
278 Posts
You read anything odd in this quote from the article...
"Mercedes-Benz...ranked 29th out of 37 brands in a June reliability study of 3-year-old cars by...J.D. Power & Associates. It logged 327 defects per 100 vehicles, worse than the U.S. industry average. Four years earlier, Mercedes scored seventh out of 38 brands, with 308 defects per 100 vehicles."

Here's a hint... MB's defects per 100 cars goes up 6% over 4 years and this drops them 22 positions!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want to add my two cents.

I own an 2004 E500 and it has so far been trouble free. Of course that can change as any car can have a problem.

I live in the USA and have seen the domestic comments about MB quality slipping and have a few thoughts.

1. All cars are getting very complex and electronic oriented. With complexity comes problems.

2. German cars are more cutting edge in technology than Japanese cars. The 2005 Acura RL uses 1980's technology three channel ABS. It will be more reliable due being perfected by age. However, the RL has the worst 60-0 and 70-0 stopping distances in its class. Cutting edge techs will cause more reliability issues.

3. European magazines are more critical of cars in their reviews than the US magazines. Yet, they don't share the same comments about MB slipping quality control.

4. IMHO, J. D. Powers and Consumer Reports are NOT reliable in their quality ratings. The 2003 E-Class got poor ratings. Of course there were some real issues with any first year auto. Yet, the one area that really draged down the ratings were the brakes. Many customers complained about excessive brake dust. Given the new design and high quality of the brakes, dust is a by product as there is no free lunch. J.D. Powers considered every complaint on excessive dust to be brake FAILURE! One of the shortest braking distance for ANY sedan was considered brake FAILURE because of excessive dust!

5. IMHO, if you want the most reliable car buy Japanese. If you want the cheapest car to purchase, buy American. If you want the best designed and most up to date car buy German. There are no free lunches Quality, price, and reliability must be balanced. To get more quality you have to give up some reliability and price.

Philip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts