1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
interesting...so it strips at that metal part, but can't you just replace the rubber grommet that goes around it?
Its like a right angle helical gear except ..not. i wonder if you could fab another one. Its looks like the complete gear is out. And I have to wonder how to get it out and put another one back in.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Some people wondered what a stripped gear looked like on a wiper motor well here is a picture. Motor still works so if anyone wants it and has the gear or can get one made let me know.

http://lh6.google.com/gauthier6X3/R6fAZT-x4hI/AAAAAAAAB_E/0FcipDhBB4Y/s400/W202 Wiper MotorDSCN2365.jpg

I have pictures of the fix too if your interested.

WOW; compelling photo.
Tha'ts a worm screw used to turn another gear.
They don't build them like they used to.
Thank goodness for that
And darn it for that too.

They used to build cars crappy, but they also used to build them with quality.
There's good and bad.

Remember bias ply tires? No Power Steering? Stick Shift on the Column?
Hard, Industrial Seats? No Intermittent Wipers? Carburetors always
gumming up?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at torem

The Gear Pops right out very easy. I belive it's a 17 cm gear and I think I'm gonna look around for a replacement (Even though I already bought the new motor and gear for 500$ at the Stealership) If I can find an alternate I might have just saved tonnes of people tonnes of bucks for a cheap fix to repairing a wiper motor gear. I just have to find a place that can make them for me.

------------------------------------
PriceLooter / Top Deals

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine just went the other day when my wife was driving. I refuse to buy the whole assembly. I got another car so I can wait for the part to come in and try and mangle it in myself. Wish me luck. If you got any instructions for doing this, would be helpful. Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
589 Posts
check a CNC machins shop and see if they can machine you one out of teflon or nylon. maybe even billet aluminum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Talked to somone today that said aluminum stock may be the best bet. Create the teeth using a hack saw or band saw. Interesting. I may try this.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Talked to somone today that said aluminum stock may be the best bet. Create the teeth using a hack saw or band saw. Interesting. I may try this.
You really should call this guy.. look through the pics... he ALREADY MAKES this gear... this is a clip from his website:

This is the moldbase which makes the Mercedes Benz wiper assembly gear. The black box on top is called corepull. This is a hydraulic activated valve that will pull the center plate in and out of the mold. This allows the gear to be injected inside the metal mold base and still be able to eject the part when pulled open. This moldbase is 23 inches deep by 16.75 inches wide. It weighs about 1400 lbs. This is why I use the 2 ton gantry around the machine. To make this moldbase, it took around 6 months of planning, designing and building. I don't just wing a part. Everything is very calculated and researched.

If you want a tour of the shop and a free fishing trip on the Chesapeake Bay, just give me a call anytime. If I can do it, I will.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff Caplan
Owner and Operator
Odometer Gears Ltd
757-593-3478

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Beat That!

You can't beat that with an Ugly Stick!:eek:

That is a HUGE find for all of us...

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone confirm this standalone gear on the website will fit my 2000 C230K ?

My girlfriend's wiper gear is stripped like in the picture. I can get a new motor assemble for 150$ but I bet it'll have the same poor quality plastic gear (2nd wiper motor on this car...) so i'm trying to find a better quality replacement gear.

Will i have to swap the metal terminals on the new gear also?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can someone confirm this standalone gear on the website will fit my 2000 C230K ?

My girlfriend's wiper gear is stripped like in the picture. I can get a new motor assemble for 150$ but I bet it'll have the same poor quality plastic gear (2nd wiper motor on this car...) so i'm trying to find a better quality replacement gear.

It does not look like the right gear to me. He states explicitly that: There are two gears that can possibly go bad on this chassis vehicle (202) . The transmission gear, which is this gear and the gear inside of the wiper motor. We do not offer the wiper motor gear as it is not cost effective to produce and the wiper motor cost around $175.00 through the aftermarket.

He's indicating the gear in the tortoise-shell-looking thing that produces the in-and-out W motion of the wiper... not the larger gear that's being stripped by the worm screw.

At least, that's how it looks to me.

Nope; the motor is sold as a whole unit, here's a link to autohausAZ:
Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

Although truth be told I'm RMAing the wiper motor I got for my car; it wasn't to OEM spec and wouldn't fit. If you go with them I hope you have better luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts