Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes s500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 2006 Mercedes s500, and I need to replace the passenger front strut because it is toast. I was looking online for a good price and I know that the arnott struts are the best replacement other then oem, but unfortunately there $350 a piece which is not all that bad considering the oem price. But I did come across a strut by the name autoshack, they have a full blown website and claim that there struts are good obviously it’s just advertisement. But the strut only cost about $142. I tried to search for some reviews and had no luck. If anyone has purchased these, are they any good? Do they even last?

·
W220 Moderator
6,583 Posts
Chinese junk, you'll be very very very lucky if it actually works properly straight outta the cardboard box, which will likely be much better quality than the Strut itself ;)

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,750 Posts
Yep, stay away from the "Chinesium". Dave's right. Go either Arnott or Genuine-MB remans.

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes s500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I had the shock replaced with a used arnott in very good condition. Also had the compressor replaced since the last one was not Going on at all. After everything is installed the car won’t go up at all, I hear the compressor go on for about 40-60 seconds and then nothing happens. I had the compressor replaced at a machanic way before I had the shock done so the machanic I took it too put the pump in and the car wasn’t really going up so he did something on his diagnostic tool and somehow made the car go up and that’s when I found out I needed one of the struts. What could be the reason for the car not raising at all

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Could be the valve block. Could also be a hose that has a hole in it. You'll just have to get under the car and have a look. Soapy water is your friend here.

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes s500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be the valve block. Could also be a hose that has a hole in it. You'll just have to get under the car and have a look. Soapy water is your friend here.
Yeah but the guy who put the pump in made it go up on 3 shocks. The front passenger was bad and replaced yesterday. I will try the soapy water but don’t you think the system needs a reset?

·
W220 Moderator
6,583 Posts
Instead of "Parts Darts" guesswork, if you put the Car on the correct machine ............

SDS, then you would know exactly what the problem is .............

;)

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes s500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Instead of "Parts Darts" guesswork, if you put the Car on the correct machine ............

SDS, then you would know exactly what the problem is .............

;)
I mean if I had the correct machine I probably wouldn’t be on here. Ain’t that the point of this forum?

·
W220 Moderator
6,583 Posts
I’m pretty sure a used Arnott in almost new condition would not allow the other 3 struts to go up??
And therin lies the problem ............... Assumption is the mother of all .................

I mean if I had the correct machine I probably wouldn’t be on here. Ain’t that the point of this forum?
Any Forum is always a good resource, and this one is better than many, however if you do some detective work for yourself, and read some of the excellent posts in lots of threads by the many knowledgeable guys on here, including myself, you will come to understand how your Car and it's Systems work, and then you will realise exactly why SDS is essential if you want to avoid changing many expensive parts that did not need changing in failed attempts to fix an issue ..............

These and other MB's of the period were waaaay ahead of their time compared to regular marques. Even a "good" Mechanic on regular vehicles will not be able to work on these Cars efficiently without SDS.

All "Parts Darts" usually results in is un-necessarily excessive repair bills, excessive vehicle "down time" and frustration !!

It boils my 'P' at the number of folks that go and buy MB Cars and won't just bite the bullet, take good advice, and either buy SDS or pay someone else who has it to do PROPER DIAGNOSIS !!

If there was a simple fix for this then we would have told you, we don't sell SDS and are not affiliated to anyone who does !!

The fault you are experiencing could be any one of a whole bunch of components, and knowing these Cars as I do, this is likely a relatively cheap fix, (or would have been had it gone on SDS first) ;)

And on that basis ...............

I'm out !!

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes s500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And therin lies the problem ............... Assumption is the mother of all .................

Any Forum is always a good resource, and this one is better than many, however if you do some detective work for yourself, and read some of the excellent posts in lots of threads by the many knowledgeable guys on here, including myself, you will come to understand how your Car and it's Systems work, and then you will realise exactly why SDS is essential if you want to avoid changing many expensive parts that did not need changing in failed attempts to fix an issue ..............

These and other MB's of the period were waaaay ahead of their time compared to regular marques. Even a "good" Mechanic on regular vehicles will not be able to work on these Cars efficiently without SDS.

All "Parts Darts" usually results in is un-necessarily excessive repair bills, excessive vehicle "down time" and frustration !!

It boils my 'P' at the number of folks that go and buy MB Cars and won't just bite the bullet, take good advice, and either buy SDS or pay someone else who has it to do PROPER DIAGNOSIS !!

If there was a simple fix for this then we would have told you, we don't sell SDS and are not affiliated to anyone who does !!

The fault you are experiencing could be any one of a whole bunch of components, and knowing these Cars as I do, this is likely a relatively cheap fix, (or would have been had it gone on SDS first) ;)

And on that basis ...............

I'm out !!
I totally understand your point. I was just fishing for some ideas before I go and pay to tow it and pay a guy to put a diagnostic tool on it. But I guess that’s not how this thing works. thanks for your input though

·
W220 Moderator
6,583 Posts
No problem Matthew, I'll help anyone if I can.

Before you pay for a Tow etc, have a look at the Height Sensor / it's Linkage on the offending Corner, it just may be broken / disconnected ;)

A lot of us on this Forum do recommend that MB owners buy their own SDS, the cost of your Towing and Labour to Diagnose will likely be at least half of the $500 - $600 cost of a decent C4 SD Connect Mux, Dell based SDS System ;)
Over a few years of ownership that SDS will pay for itself time and again, and if you go away from MB's in the future it will resell for at least what you paid for it ;)

HTH

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes s500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem Matthew, I'll help anyone if I can.

Before you pay for a Tow etc, have a look at the Height Sensor / it's Linkage on the offending Corner, it just may be broken / disconnected ;)

A lot of us on this Forum do recommend that MB owners buy their own SDS, the cost of your Towing and Labour to Diagnose will likely be at least half of the $500 - $600 cost of a decent C4 SD Connect Mux, Dell based SDS System ;)
Over a few years of ownership that SDS will pay for itself time and again, and if you go away from MB's in the future it will resell for at least what you paid for it ;)

HTH
I was thinking on buying a SDS but I wasn’t sure if a cheap one will be any good. If you can, send me a link of the one your talking about. Oh btw I don’t think it’s a height sensor issue, could it be all 3 sensors went bad?. I’m gonna try and get it checked out today

·
W220 Moderator
6,583 Posts
Hi,

Dell D620 / 630 Based (or a Panasonic Touch Tablet if you got a decent budget for a really nice bit of kit), with up to 2019 S/W will work fine on your Car and many many more MB's, then you need either C3 Mux and lead Kit, or, tbh, nowadays reliable C4 SD Connect and Lead Kit can be had for same money.

I will not be recommending any particular Vendor, as last time I did that a load of folks claimed they had grief. There are plenty of OBD Diagnostic Equipment Stores in USA and UK, they can be a better bet than Chinese Lottery, but that said many members on here have had great results buying from Ali Baba, best advice there is pay with a CREDIT Card, or Pay Pal, then should it all go Pete Tong you can get your money back ;)

They are all Chinese anyway, unless you got £10,000 to spend ;)

@Paul600600 may well be able to advise you on better sources than I can ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
^^ @Matthewbodyman , Dave's description above is exactly what you should do. I used a vendor on AliExpress.com. It's been close to four years now, and so far, smooth sailing.

I cannot stress enough how valuable and necessary SDS is. If you were to read just about any of my repair threads, you'd understand. That includes a couple of AIRmatic issues, one with the S430 in 2017, and another with the wife's car last year. And don't even get me started on the S600 TT.

If you had any Earthly idea how much having SDS has saved me over the last four years....

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
You put a used arnott shock on and are surprised it’s not working ? Duh
I dunno about that...I've had pretty darn good luck with used Arnott. Same with my mechanic buddy.

·
W220 Moderator
6,583 Posts
At $35 a pop I'd say it is definitely worth a punt, but just don't assume it is fine if ya get a problem, especially after installing one ;)

Assumption is after all TMOAFU's 😈

1 - 20 of 21 Posts