Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E430 Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1998 E430 with the Sport Package and I had an interesting thing happen with the steering today. Today, I dropped my friend off at his car and as I was pulling away from his car out of the school parking lot it was hard to turn the wheel left and then I turned it left again and it was even harder to turn and I stopped and parked the car and got out. I had my friend come over and steer the car while I got under and looked to see if I could see anything. I couldn't see anything but I could hear and intense grinding/squeaking noise, like metal rubbing on metal, coming from the driver's side wheel well area. I moved my car from where is was at back into the parking lot and I sat in the spot for a moment and moved the wheel back and forth and the steering slowly went back to normal and the grinding/squeaking noise got quieter. I left my car there and had my friend drive me to where we were going. When we got back to my car, I started it and everything was fine, no noise or trouble in the steering. Does anyone know what is wrong? Do I need a whole new steering rack? Thank you

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Check the steering fluid level.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
As they say "yesterday it was OK" but that was yesterday. It is not uncommon to get a sudden loss of fluid.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,716 Posts
Sounds like you are about to loose your belt. Harmonic balancer is coming apart or some other pulley is seizing.

Attachments

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
p/s pump pulley or pump itself is seizing up. jack up front of car (take the weight off the front end) let motor idle and turn slowly from lock to lock so as to inspect in free movement.

·
Registered
1998 E430 Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I bring it to my mechanic what should I have them check? Or when I get under the car what should I look for? Thanks for all the responses!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts