Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some problems with fit the bushings in the LCA and now i saw that i have a play in LCA, in fact the bushing is moving inside of the LCA and is a small gap between the bushing and the LCA.
Look at the video:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Are the control arms original Mercedes? Is there a Mercedes star symbol and part number on them? If not, they may be aftermarket, and who knows what tolerances. If aftermarket, get some original arms out of a wrecking yard and use your bushings in those, or buy new Lemforder or OE Mercedes arms. If original, order some Lemforder bushings. If those don't fit, send them back, and get different arms. In any case, what you have won't work.

If you get new arms, make sure the rear bushings ate installed in the proper orientation before putting them on the car. New arms have been known to have bushings installed 90 degrees off.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Take a look at the Lemforder and original Mercedes bushings here:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Benz-1994-S600-140.076-Base-Coupe-V12_6.0L/Suspension/Control_Arm/

I normally don't buy from them, but they have some good pictures of what things should look like.

Meyle, at one time, had two lines of bushings, regular and HD. HD are alleged to be ok. Maybe you got some of the regular ones? Or maybe a bad batch?

I'd return them and get either Lemforder or original MB. I replaced mine with Lemforder this past year and had no issues.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Need MB style spring compressor; $100 knockoff works great, MB bushing press kit or $100 knockoff, Air hammer w/ chisel tip, Caliper for measurement.

Need WIS or service manual instructions showing proper clocking of front & rear bushings

Syluja made a post on this that had some great tips.

With correct tools that job is not hard; an afternoon DIY job incl alignment is possible. Without those tools the job is almost impossible.

The fluid filled bushing has over 0.5mm interference fit in eyelet. Getting that thing in without that press tool is almost impossible (I think). Doing it without busting a leak of the internal fluid is definitely not gonna happen without that tool.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The one I bought thru Amazon was marketed under Sir Tools name. It looks like it is now out of stock. Even an Ebay search for W140 Bushing Tool is not coming up with anything. Alas the W140 is slowly being squeezed out or abandoned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts