Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes w140 S500 1997
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mercedes w124, m111, E200 and i have a vibration when i put in D or R.
All car is shaking and the hood it shaking , too.
When i put in N the vibration is less noticeable, but is there.
In D or R is like someone knock with a hammer in the body.
I changed the engine and the gearbox mounts.
The gearbox is shifting very smooth.
Cound be the torque converter?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,213 Posts
Most likely culprits are engine and transmission mounts.

Also check the diff mount bushings, front and rear flex discs and the driveshaft center support bearing.

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
Seeing that you feel the engine mounts have been changed, do your records show when this was done, how many miles since, and which manufacturer made the mounts? There are really bad ones out there made by a company called URO. They fail quickly.

Something you can do to help identify the cause is to work with an assistant. Put the emergency brake on and have the assistant put the transmission into Drive (D) with their foot on the brake at idle. Then you can put a floor jack under the oil pan and just lift the engine a half inch. If the vibration goes away, you can be sure its your engine mounts.

·
Registered
Mercedes w140 S500 1997
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The mounts are JP Group and i don.t know if is a misfiring.
Look at the video.
I think that the engine mouts, even that they are new are bad, to hard.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,542 Posts
I would take the rocker box off and push on the tappet arms .It sounds like an audralic tappet as failed . Or timing chain worn . Look at the belt tensioner - shockabsorber if you have one on your model .

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
Considering your apparent level of expertise (not being able to determine if you have a misfire or not), I suggest you stop by an experienced Benz shop - one where they have lots of the older Benzes either parked or in for service - and just ask them to give you a quick opinion on the noise. This would be a lot more productive than getting advice based off sound files. An experienced mechanic will know the cause immediately.

·
Registered
Mercedes w140 S500 1997
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Considering your apparent level of expertise (not being able to determine if you have a misfire or not), I suggest you stop by an experienced Benz shop - one where they have lots of the older Benzes either parked or in for service - and just ask them to give you a quick opinion on the noise. This would be a lot more productive than getting advice based off sound files. An experienced mechanic will know the cause immediately.
That clunk when i put in D is not due to a misfire.
Is something elese.
Today i noticed this clunk while i go down a hill with uneven surfaces

·
Registered
95" W124/ E220 MasterPiece and 01" W210/ E200 KOMPRESSER
257 Posts
Try this. No dollars needed.

Move ur gear to R and stay there for at least 30 seconds, then move back to N or P, right after you start your engine.
Do this at least twice before you're going to drive it on the road.

Then feel the vibration and see whether there is a significant change or not.
If this method eases most of your vibration, do this every time and live with it....
Wait for your trial and good luck.

·
Registered
95" W124/ E220 MasterPiece and 01" W210/ E200 KOMPRESSER
257 Posts
Jimmy, can you explain what this accomplishes and why it would work in this case?
Andy
In normal "D" drive condition, AT wont be directed to pump its oil to flow through the highest chamber of B3 whose function is to engage the R gear. Lack of ATF as the lubricating agent, the whole internal clutch packs/chambers wont balance and rotate as a whole set evenly. Thus a vibration can occur.

Besides 722.4 AT uses cheaper and less sophisticated ATF filter. Whenever a W124/ W201/ W202/ W210 with the 722.4 transmission park the car for a while, the ATF on the higher level will flow back to the bottom of the oil pan.

That is because the 722.4 filter comes without an anti-drainback seal. At every beginning of the engine start , uneven vibration can thus happen, if a driver is sensitive enough to notice. For cars with 722.4 AT series sitting for a week or even longer, this first fire-up vibration can be felt very noticeably, esp. in winter time. Sometimes it even brings up extra whining sound.

To smooth and speed up the internal balancing, that let ATF go to the highest chamber as soon as possible (shift gear into R) is highly recommended... or at least recommend drivers whose AT belongs to the 722.4 series to install a 722.5 filter with anti drain-back seals, preventing ATF to flow back to the oil pan.

Shifting R gear first can be applies to cars with Transmission 722.3 or 722.5, even 722.6. One could try this and feel the difference, esp. for cars sitting for a long time in winter....
Try and feel.

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
I've got Mark II W124, Mark III 124, and W210s, but none of them show this symptom. I am thinking that if there is a vibration and the indication of less vibration when following your suggestion, what this proves is there is a problem in the transmission. Would that be correct? I hope the OP is reading your post and lets us know what happens.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
If you have verified the engine and transmission mounts to be good, then the next suspects are diff mount bushings, driveshaft center support bearing and flex discs.

·
Registered
Mercedes w140 S500 1997
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vibration seem to be in the engine bay, not in the center or back of the car.
In P or N is less vibration, but is still there.
When i put in D or R the rpm will drop at 600 and the car is shake, vibrate, shudder, etc.
When i accelerate i feel the vibration until 1200 rpm.
After that rpm is smooth.
Could it be the torque converter, or something with the lack of fuel or engine ignition?

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
Did you use high quality engine and transmission mounts or was it Made in Unknown junk like Febi?

·
Registered
Mercedes w140 S500 1997
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lemforder on gearbox and JPGroup on the engine.
Last year i used JP Group, too, on the other w124, 200 E ,manual gearbox, KE jetronic and all the vibration was gone.
The engine became smooth.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts