Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase 1972 350 SL. its all there including hardtop and interior original .Paint is very good as is chrome.drives ok Gold in colour.My concern is I cant find out much about its history and all I can find is the chasis number one stmped in front of radiator as is Mercedes plate with corresponding numbers,I dont know where engine number is located.How do I find out more please?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,835 Posts
I am looking to purchase 1972 350 SL. its all there including hardtop and interior original .Paint is very good as is chrome.drives ok Gold in colour.My concern is I cant find out much about its history and all I can find is the chasis number one stmped in front of radiator as is Mercedes plate with corresponding numbers,I dont know where engine number is located.How do I find out more please?
Engine number is hard to see. You have to put your head over the brake booster and look down behind the back of the driver (left) side head to see the machined portion of the engine block where you should see an engine number starting with 117 if it is a 4.5 (US 1972 350sl) or 116 if it is a euro spec 350sl.

Pics? We can tell you a lot from pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
I owned the 669th 72 350/450 SL made. completely restored it and learned a lot in the process. Check for rust and find out more about “drives ok”. Djet systems are logical but not for the faint of heart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fonzi,
Do those numbers apply to Australian or English delivered cars? View attachment 2604252
Engine number is hard to see. You have to put your head over the brake booster and look down behind the back of the driver (left) side head to see the machined portion of the engine block where you should see an engine number starting with 117 if it is a 4.5 (US 1972 350sl) or 116 if it is a euro spec 350sl.

Pics? We can tell you a lot from pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I owned the 669th 72 350/450 SL made. completely restored it and learned a lot in the process. Check for rust and find out more about “drives ok”. Djet systems are logical but not for the faint of heart

Thanks Fonzi,
Do those numbers apply to Australian or English delivered cars? View attachment 2604252

Thanks Fonzi,

Thanks Fonzi,

Attachments

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
16,392 Posts
Thanks Fonzi,
I would presume since your car is RHD and Fonz was referring to LHD the engine number in that location would be easier to see.

From the pics nice car though. Original registration tells you a lot and the original 'LANES' sticker on the back is really cool. The fact that it's still on the back window means it's probably been garaged its entire life. LANES Motors have been gone for years. Did you post on WP?

That rust in the sill may extend across the floor.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Donf wrote:
From the pics nice car though. Original registration tells you a lot and the original 'LANES' sticker on the back is really cool. The fact that it's still on the back window means it's probably been garaged its entire life. LANES Motors have been gone for years. Did you post on WP?
The removable hard tops do tend to spend most of their lives garaged :)

Greaug - have a look at the soft top. They can be quite expensive to replace. If not perfect, deduct a couple of thousand from the price you offer.
The rust can be fixed, but it would probable mean that at least several sections of body will need to be repainted. Another couple of thousand?
Have a look at the firewall from engine bay as well as up under dash. Hidden rust develops there, usually in vicinity of battery (assuming it is under hood). The blower casing located at rear of engine bay is also prone to hidden rust. Need to remove the cover to check it out.

By the way, I have very similar car - just LHD and slightly different gold.

Engine number (Thanks to Rowdie)

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,599 Posts
The surface where it is stamped is rough cast not machined. The numbers Fonzi posted still apply to RHD. Non US '72 350SL will be M116 M117-1.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts