Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My coworker told me his 1995 Cadillac Seville with a Northstar 4.6L V8 engine is faster than my 1995 S420. My car has the ECU mod chip upgrade there is no mechanically defect and the car have 95 thousand miles on the engine. The wager is 100.00 dollars plus lunch. I have never take my car over 95mph. What is your opion?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My coworker told me his 1995 Cadillac Seville with a Northstar 4.6L V8 engine is faster than my 1995 S420. My car has the ECU mod chip upgrade there is no mechanically defect and the car have 95 thousand miles on the engine. The wager is 100.00 dollars plus lunch. I have never take my car over 95mph. What is your opion?
He miight take you because he has a bigger motor and a lighter car. But ask him to do a 100 mph side by side race and bet him to see which one breaks down first:thumbsup:

·
Registered
544 Posts
The Seville is gonna edge you out. Do you know if it's the STS or SLS? The reason I ask is because the STS has the 300hp Northstar, and the SLS has the 275hp Northstar. The '95's were the fastest Sevilles ever made....they were the lightest in '93-95, and '95 was the only year that it had the 300hp engine in the lightest body. The 93-94's had 295 hp, and in '95, they revised the intake setup for the additional 5 hp.

The early Northstar STS's, with a good driver, are a 14.5-14.7 second car.....they're very, very quick. I've driven a '93 a while back, and I was very impressed with the acceleration, especially from a 70mph roll. They'll do 0-60 in the 6.5-6.8 second range in STS form, and in the SLS form, it's in the low 7 second range. The S420, according to the brochures, will do it in 7.9-8.1 seconds.

I've driven a '95 S500, and it wouldn't hold a candle to the STS as far as acceleration is concerned, but the 140 is a wholly superior car. And that's really saying something considering the 1993-97 Seville STS is one of my favorite Cadillacs of all time.

So I'm gonna have to say that the Seville will win, but the 140 will always be the superior car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Seville is gonna edge you out. Do you know if it's the STS or SLS? The reason I ask is because the STS has the 300hp Northstar, and the SLS has the 275hp Northstar. The '95's were the fastest Sevilles ever made....they were the lightest in '93-95, and '95 was the only year that it had the 300hp engine in the lightest body. The 93-94's had 295 hp, and in '95, they revised the intake setup for the additional 5 hp.

The early Northstar STS's, with a good driver, are a 14.5-14.7 second car.....they're very, very quick. I've driven a '93 a while back, and I was very impressed with the acceleration, especially from a 70mph roll. They'll do 0-60 in the 6.5-6.8 second range in STS form, and in the SLS form, it's in the low 7 second range. The S420, according to the brochures, will do it in 7.9-8.1 seconds.

I've driven a '95 S500, and it wouldn't hold a candle to the STS as far as acceleration is concerned, but the 140 is a wholly superior car. And that's really saying something considering the 1993-97 Seville STS is one of my favorite Cadillacs of all time.

So I'm gonna have to say that the Seville will win, but the 140 will always be the superior car.
Thank you for the info. I think about the challenge is that my coworker is more jealous of my car because when I drive my Ford truck to work there was never a comment about my truck. Only when I drive my W140 to work my coworker says things about it. Sometimes I feel a car can be threatening.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
He may have seen somewhere that your car weighs 4,700 pounds. See if you can casually change the bet to something else - like most rear leg room.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The brochure is completely wrong about the 0-60 time of the S420. My friend's Audi A4 1.8T (automatic) does 0-60 in 7.2 and I beat him in a drag significantly, but lose to the new Audi A4 2.0T (stick) which does it in 6.8 stock but he has a racing clutch, so he does it in like 6.7. I would estimate the S420 (or at least mine, which has been cared for insanely well) does it in 6.8-7.0 depending on conditions.

PS~From a rolling start of 25 MPH, my S420 stayed neck and neck with the 2.0T until 110 MPH, when I braked, with the A4 ahead by less than a car's length.

EDIT~My car is bone stock, and badly needs it's drive belt replaced (engine chirps when shifting gears under stress, aka when it's floored, and sometimes gives a rough idle afterwards), but that's getting done at 82,000 miles, which should improve shift time, and the 0-60 time, as it shifts at 45 MPH.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The brochure is completely wrong about the 0-60 time of the S420. My friend's Audi A4 1.8T (automatic) does 0-60 in 7.2 and I beat him in a drag significantly, but lose to the new Audi A4 2.0T (stick) which does it in 6.8 stock but he has a racing clutch, so he does it in like 6.7. I would estimate the S420 (or at least mine, which has been cared for insanely well) does it in 6.8-7.0 depending on conditions.

PS~From a rolling start of 25 MPH, my S420 stayed neck and neck with the 2.0T until 110 MPH, when I braked, with the A4 ahead by less than a car's length.

EDIT~My car is bone stock, and badly needs it's drive belt replaced (engine chirps when shifting gears under stress, aka when it's floored, and sometimes gives a rough idle afterwards), but that's getting done at 82,000 miles, which should improve shift time, and the 0-60 time, as it shifts at 45 MPH.
Hmmmm.....I'd be skeptical, but I just knocked down a 0-60 run in under eight seconds, and mine is rated at 8.8, so I know that either Benz under rated them, or it's easy to get a wide range of times on them.

When you raced your friend, was your ASR on or off? Did you leave it in 4th or 5th? Honestly, using the timer on my iPod, I've seen 0-60 times for my car, with me driving, anywhere between 8.7 seconds and 10.1 seconds. The 10.1 was with the ASR on....it detected wheelspin and cut power back for a few seconds.

The time I got under eight seconds was tonight, with the video camera. See other thread for video.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm.....I'd be skeptical, but I just knocked down a 0-60 run in under eight seconds, and mine is rated at 8.8, so I know that either Benz under rated them, or it's easy to get a wide range of times on them.

When you raced your friend, was your ASR on or off? Did you leave it in 4th or 5th? Honestly, using the timer on my iPod, I've seen 0-60 times for my car, with me driving, anywhere between 8.7 seconds and 10.1 seconds. The 10.1 was with the ASR on....it detected wheelspin and cut power back for a few seconds.

The time I got under eight seconds was tonight, with the video camera. See other thread for video.
I'm not going to race against the Cadillac. How fast is the S420 in top speed?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not positive, none of the brochures say anything about top speed, but I've heard the W140s are limited to 140. Coincidence? I've had mine up to 132 once.

·
Registered
501 Posts

My car is 1994 so I have no idea what it uses for a form of traction control, but I most definitely cannot turn it off, according to other people it's something I need to physically unplug. Whenever people talk about ASR problems or an ASR light I actually have no idea what they're talking about, there's no light labeled ASR anywhere on my dash or near the CE light when I start up the car.

I leave the car in the B position as it normally starts in second gear, so there is a delay between when I first put my foot down to hit the downshift point and finally the kickdown so the car will go into first off the line. Manually choosing gears allows the car to skip the delay between when I put my foot down and when the gas pedal reaches the downshift point and the computer calculates it and finally downshifts, probably shaving off about .1 to .2 seconds or so.

Once I get the belt replaced it should quicken the upshift times, sometimes it reaches it's rev limiter at 6250 RPM if I upshift it manually too late, so now I have to move it from B->2 at like 5500 RPM or so in order for it to shift properly.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Not positive, none of the brochures say anything about top speed, but I've heard the W140s are limited to 140. Coincidence? I've had mine up to 132 once.
I've taken mine up to 135, at about 4500 RPM in 4th gear (my top gear), when some sort of rev limiter or something kicked in, and I felt a massive pullback of RPM so I took my foot off the gas, so I think mine may be governed to 135, even though it can clearly go faster.

The S500 can go up to 143 at least, my auto teacher used to have one and took it up to that speed a couple times, these cares are amazingly stable at high speeds, hard to tell that you're going that fast haha.

·
Registered
895 Posts
0-62mph times are highly influenced by the drivers capabilities than the car itself.
Just as fuel-consumption is influenced by the drivers type of driving.. Some people have much heavier rightfoots than the rest ...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
He miight take you because he has a bigger motor and a lighter car. But ask him to do a 100 mph side by side race and bet him to see which one breaks down first:thumbsup:
I thought those Northstar V8s could survive 100,000 miles between oil changes/services? Are they actually unreliable then?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Northstar....have you changed you head gaskets yet? lol.

The STS is a POS but it moves. STS is good till 155mph.

They dont bother me though.

How about from 50 mph to 100 and no bets. (you could wage his ga$ money)
you may still ....

With a 500 it would be a fair wager.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts