Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accoring to the instructions this can be hooked up to the battery for 4 straight years. We are going home to Bangkok tomorrow so we won't see our car for a while. When we come here again the SL55AMG should be ready to start.

Attachments

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,213 Posts
Thanks for your post, Corkscrew. I know there are many types of trickle chargers out there, but I have worried about whether some would overcharge the battery. While one might overpay for the Mercedes brand name on the charger, it will at least be designed with the car's electrical system in mind.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For our two Bangkok cars we have a friend who starts them every week.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Mercedes did/does sell a kit to float the battery, the little tansformer would keep the battery "up". If the battery was dead after a few years, replace it, MB Road Aid will come out to do it and recode every-thing, for less than $150

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,213 Posts
Corkscrew,

Since this is a Mercedes branded device, I assume you ordered it through a dealer. Since it can be left in place for up to four years, it is undoubtedly a "float" charger, and probably one designed for stationary batteries. A trickle charger left in place that long would burn the battery up.

Did you order it in the U.S., or in Thailand?

I also note the charger is made by CTEK; I found one (not branded for Mercedes, but very similar - model 3300) at http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=1311&cid=24 and at http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/3480/sc/7542 for about $70.

The principal difference seems to be that the CTEK-branded model has a mode selection function for motorcycle, car, and what I assume to be cold-weather (perhaps stationary) battery maintenance. I do know that different types of float chargers are designed for batteries that are moved (such as by driving) than for stationary batteries (such as for cars in storage).

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skylaw - 4/9/2006 8:57 AM

Corkscrew,

Since this is a Mercedes branded device, I assume you ordered it through a dealer. Since it can be left in place for up to four years, it is undoubtedly a "float" charger, and probably one designed for stationary batteries. A trickle charger left in place that long would burn the battery up.

I also note the charger is made by CTEK; I found one (not branded for Mercedes, but very similar - model 3300) at http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=1311&cid=24 and at http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/3480/sc/7542 for about $70.

The principal difference seems to be that the CTEK-branded model has a mode selection function for motorcycle, car, and what I assume to be cold-weather (perhaps stationary) battery maintenance. I do know that different types of float chargers are designed for batteries that are moved (such as by driving) than for stationary batteries (such as for cars in storage).
Skylaw,

I bought the charger from the Mercedes dealer in Florida. According to the instructions it appears that when the car is parked for a long time it (the charger) can be hooked up to both battery posts without having to disconnect either battery post from the two car wires.

With my old 500SL I would just disconnect one of the cables. Months later all I had to do was reconnect the cable. The only thing that needed to be reset was the clock and the radio code. Even the seat position memory was unfazed by the long disconnect.

But, with the SL55 there is so much resting on juice from the battery I figured that this charger would do the trick.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Corkscrew - 4/15/2006 1:22 PM

Skylaw - 4/9/2006 8:57 AM

Corkscrew,

Skylaw,

I bought the charger from the Mercedes dealer in Florida. According to the instructions it appears that when the car is parked for a long time it (the charger) can be hooked up to both battery posts without having to disconnect either battery post from the two car wires.

With my old 500SL I would just disconnect one of the cables. Months later all I had to do was reconnect the cable. The only thing that needed to be reset was the clock and the radio code. Even the seat position memory was unfazed by the long disconnect.

But, with the SL55 there is so much resting on juice from the battery I figured that this charger would do the trick.

·
Registered
what ever I need
16 Posts
The replys that are here are clearly from none technical people.
Your vehicle has two battery's as I am sure you are aware. A systems battery and a starter battery.
Charging either one will only maintain that battery, so you have a choice, charge the systems battery and the car will open with the remote, but probebly not crank, charge the starter battery, and the engine will start, but you will have to open the vehicle with the blade key out of the remote, and then hope there is enough juice in the systems battery to engage the EIS. The batterys are not rechareged at the same time by the alternator when the car is running, full systems battery voltage has to be achieved and recognised by the BCM and a low consumer output required befor BCM will open the "starter" battery switch over relay and allow the starter battery to be charged. The front and rear SAM's have to see a circuit 30 and 15R before any of this can happen. So you can only charge one battery at a time. The charger you have bought is a trickle charger, and is supplied as standard issue on the SLR, and will never "burn" out the battery. When it read's approx 12.5V it shuts off. Depending on weather you have an AGM or wet cell battery will effect is performace, but it will not damage either battery.
AS a side note. MB USA will come and jump start the car for "FREE" at any time. 1-800-222-0100, age or milage do not matter.
Have a good trip
If we can be of any help feel free to contact us.
Damian
Fusion Motorsports
[8D]

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,213 Posts
Damageone,

You are correct - I was unaware that there were two batteries - a systems battery and a starter battery - in some cars. Now, for those of us who may face long-term storage of our cars, could you be a bit more helpful?

If we must store our cars, how do folks with two batteries keep both batteries charged? Plainly this is what Corkscrew is trying to do (note that my cars are W220s, a single battery configuration; so is my 450SL).

While i can appreciate the technical input, it's also helpful if you answer the underlying concern.

·
Registered
what ever I need
16 Posts
What ever tec questions you guys have, give me specific details and I will answer then as best I can.
The W220 model only has one battery, and it is in the trunk. If you are going to leave the car for more than 2 or 3 days, remove the navigation CD(comand will not go to sleep and CAN-C will stay awake) always lock the car, but dont expect more than 5-7 days down time before you need a jump.
Have your dealer run a VMI to see if the voltage regulator recall is required.
W230 was the was the first dual battery car. chraging both at the same time is only possible with 2 battery chargers.( or have some one start the car once a week and run it for a min of 15-20 minutes)
W211 has 2 batterys but is not a dual battery system, the front battery is only used in an emergency to supply power for SBC in the event of a total electrical failure.
219 has exact same elect system as 211 (because it is a re-skinned 211)
SLR has exact same battery/charging system as R230
W221 has an uprated version of R230.
All others that I can think of at this time are single battery located either under the hood on in the trunk. (210 is under rear seat)
Hope this helps.
P.S always call MB roadside for a jump start, it is always free regardless of age or milage, I have see way to much damaged caused to electrical systems by poor AAA jumpstarts.[8D]

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,213 Posts
Thanks, damageone. That's a wealth of useful information!!

·
Registered
what ever I need
16 Posts
forgot to mention one thing.
If the battery charger is left connected to the battery but disconnected from the power source it will drain the battery totally dead.
Make sure the cord is placed so it cannot be tripped over and pulled out of the wall.[8D]

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
damageone - 4/16/2006 2:36 PM

The replys that are here are clearly from none technical people.
Your vehicle has two battery's as I am sure you are aware. A systems battery and a starter battery.
Charging either one will only maintain that battery, so you have a choice, charge the systems battery and the car will open with the remote, but probebly not crank, charge the starter battery, and the engine will start, but you will have to open the vehicle with the blade key out of the remote, and then hope there is enough juice in the systems battery to engage the EIS. The batterys are not rechareged at the same time by the alternator when the car is running, full systems battery voltage has to be achieved and recognised by the BCM and a low consumer output required befor BCM will open the "starter" battery switch over relay and allow the starter battery to be charged. The front and rear SAM's have to see a circuit 30 and 15R before any of this can happen. So you can only charge one battery at a time. The charger you have bought is a trickle charger, and is supplied as standard issue on the SLR, and will never "burn" out the battery. When it read's approx 12.5V it shuts off. Depending on weather you have an AGM or wet cell battery will effect is performace, but it will not damage either battery.
AS a side note. MB USA will come and jump start the car for "FREE" at any time. 1-800-222-0100, age or milage do not matter.
Have a good trip
If we can be of any help feel free to contact us.
Damian
Fusion Motorsports
[8D]
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. The last time I left the 55SLR sitting I did not have a trickle charger attached. I left the car for 3 months and it started right away. However, the systems battery seemed weak and it took a bit of driving to charge it up.

This time I figured that with a charger on the systems battery there would also never be a drain on the starter battery so the starter battery would always remain fresh.

With my old 1992 500SL I would just disconnect one lead to the battery and it would remain fresh for months.

In the future do you suggest that I use two of these Mercedes trickle batteries?

PS: Is it safe to start the car while the charger is still attached to the system battery? In case I ask a friend to start the car every week or so.

Thank you in advance for any reply. I really appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
2003 S500 4MATIC
299 Posts
:( battery keeps dying if the car sits for a week

^^I too would like to hear the answer to the question above.

A few other questions:

-Is it considered normal for the battery in a 2003 S500 (W220) to die after it sits undriven for a week? A dealership I just talked to seems to think this is "normal" but to me it is a serious design flaw. I've left other cars for up to a month and they always started.

-Is it possible to get a solar trickle-charger rather than a plug-in one? (I sometimes have to leave the car parked for a week or more in a lot away from my house.)

-Is it possible to retrofit a 2nd battery like those in later models?

-Is it possible to upgrade the stock battery to something that will stay charged longer?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,213 Posts
There have been other posts concerning discharge rates for batteries in the S500; I do not have them bookmarked to give you. However, as I recall, discharge of a fully charged battery would take about a month - not a week. I often left my S500 undriven for up to 2 weeks, with no difficulty starting the car.

There are some common sources of discharge - if I recall properly, a malfunctioning ECU can cause that type of rapid drain. Other things may as well. The other concern would be the charging circuits - they have been problematic. If your battery is not being fully charged, it would be depleted sooner.

I cannot answer the remaining questions. Hope someone can help you.

·
Registered
2003 S500 4MATIC
299 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will have to pressure the dealership more. The tech I spoke to seemed to think it was not unusual for the battery to die in under a week if the car was not driven, due to the car having "so many computers." This has been a chronic problem with this car. (I should mention as well that the car is in Toronto, where it can get quite cold. The last time this happened, the battery completely discharged and froze solid! MB replaced the battery, alternator voltage regulator, and fuses 78 and 84 which had blown.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
float charger?

My wife's 2005 SLK350 does not get driven much, only 7,500 miles in the first 4 years. Can I put a float charger on the post under the hood that are the points for jump starting it? if not driven every 3 weeks I need to jump it and thought a float charger will do the trick. If I cannot connect to the jump points under the hood I guess I need to go find the battery, where ever that is.

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 S500 4MATIC
299 Posts
I don't see any reason not to use the jump points. They are directly connected to the battery after all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts