Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the latest reports, Mercedes has finally realized why its A-Class and B-Class compacts haven't been doing so well: they're boring, overpriced and underpowered... and that's a losing combination. So for the next generation of the two model lines that's expected around 2011, Mercedes is reportedly preparing to turn up the volume.

Although the next-gen baby Benzes will reportedly stick with front-wheel-drive, they'll sit lower to the ground – and save production costs – by ditching the expensive current models' sandwich platform. Whereas the 193-hp 2-liter turbo is currently the most powerful engine offered between the two related models, sources indicate that the top engine could offer as much as 230 hp, possibly sourced from BMW off all companies whose 1-Series Mercedes hopes to target with the sportier new A and B-Classes. Meanwhile, reports also suggest that competition from the up!coming Volkswagen models could compel parent company Daimler to bring back the previously slow-selling and subsequently discontinued Smart ForFour.

[Source: Auto Motor und Sport via Motor Authority], by Noah Joseph
Mercedes to pump some extra octane into next A- and B-Class - Autoblog

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes............

Yes, that's what they say.... I own the B200 T and is just very fun to drive (even at high level cities as Mexico, 6000 feet above sea level...) but I guess the same car in less than the 200 must be way too heavy to move fast!!... In any case, the sandwich platform is the savoir of the car, and it adds a strong case not seen in any other car!

But I guess money rules and Daimler wants to cut costs a little....I will keep my 200 forever then!!!

Regards

Jomoto

·
Registered
1 Posts
Needs moe power

I had an A class (2nd gen, diesel), while I loved the car in most respects, it needed more power .... a lot more. It was so slow, it was almost scary entering any main road from a side street. And with four or five people, it was truly one of the most lazy cars I've ever seen or heard of. The gas mileage was around 38mpg ... much too little for such a tiny motor and small car. I was recently getting 62 mpg in my Prius and it's much peppier .... Diesels are supposed to be competitive with hybrids, ... well in real life, they aren't. Fuel is ninety cents a gallon more and that combined with the slowness of the diesel and poorer fuel economy would make me want the new A and B classes to have a hybrid option.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I'm very satisfied with my B200.
After 26,000kms, I'm still averaging 7.1 l/100km and it responds and handles the way I'd expect a Benz to.
I'm just so surprised that the U.S. still has not carried it. At the price of fuel these days:eek: what are they waiting for.
Canada has thousands and thousands of the B on the road.:D:D

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I'm very satisfied with my B200.
After 26,000kms, I'm still averaging 7.1 l/100km(40 mpg) and it responds and handles the way I'd expect a Benz to.
I'm just so surprised that the U.S. still has not carried it. At the price of fuel these days:eek: what are they waiting for.
Canada has thousands and thousands of the B on the road.:D:D

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
This is the kind of fuel economy you can expect when driving the B class carefully. 5.5 l/100km is 52 IMP. mpg.

Come on Mercedes- Benz U.S.A., let's get the show on the road and help save the planet too!!!
Bring the B class in Now !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Series A and Series B. These 2 cars are balanced, well made and I don't think consumption is a problem and I don't think that are underpowered. Especially by the details you are giving me here. But an "update" or a "facelift" is always welcome. There is one thing Mercedes can do and everybody will love it: to decrease just a little bit the price.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts