Registered
2,398 Posts
Erm

Dont you have a sc on it ?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So you are building up a 230 turbo to put in your SLK? Who made the kit? Expensive??? What about ECU stuff? Cmon man, details!!!!

Avery
I'll come back with more details later :) But yes, I will try to build up a turbo engine or a turbo/kompressor engine. But I think I will need to change alot of parts, so I'm not sure about the total price yet. dont know about the ECU yet, he will come back to me next week with more information.

Expensive? Well, thinkin that I just have bougth

-19" SLR wheels
-Bilstein shocks
-Eibach springs
-Re-painted it
-New headlight/foglight
-New SL-grill
-New Exhaust
-Steel Roll-bar
-New front calipers

and maybe a new AMG styling kit all the way around, so not that expensive, I'll get it for round 4300 euro :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I like the idea. Hope it can be made to talk to ECM

Keep us informed along the way.

BAzzle
You mean ECU? What is the ibg issue there? I need to see what the totalt cost is gonna be and what really needs to be done. First I need to see if there's something to do with the Kompressor/Turbo issue, I could

1- Try to hock them together somewhere bye the intak paralell or seire (bad idea cus of the pressure issue)
2- Try to get the kompressor to blow the air against the Intercooler (crazy idea)
3- Disconnect the kompressor

And after, what must I do with the engine to hold 300-400 horsepower? I
dont think it's just plug and play...

Where did you get the SLR wheels? I would like to see them on your car.
Hehe, you must wait until the summer come :) I got the wheels today and they are right here next to me :D

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Who built the turbo?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found this on ebay..turbocharged slk320 (only one?) anyone? turbo 230 0r 320 ? pictures?
I asked the seller for more information but have not yet heard back. Maybe there is someone on this forum lives in Maryland could go check it out and get the scoop. I know I'm interested.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Noticed the kit has no upgraded fuel injectors and the piping bends before and after the intercooler look like the bends are to wide but that would be the least of your worries. No EMS/ECu relflash makes your fuel problem a potential deal breaker. What PSI is the kit designed to run at. 5-7 psi I would imagine. Does the header even fit. Kit does seems to look good and there have been others who have turboed the m111 engine. Hagmann out of Germany ran a twin charging setup like Jim Wolf did with the M45 in the Mini Cooper. Speedwerx rana T-3/T=4 Garrett a few years back when the M111 came in the C230. Dynoed it to 310bhp and 315lbs. His problem was tyring to add addittional fuel injectors when upgraded injectors may have been the way to go. He tried the Haltech EMS but with very mixed results. He stated the he had to run a MAF clamp as the engine would go into limp mode at 12psi! Ensure fuel and coling upgrades are sufficient and you may be on to a working setup. From the looks of the kit the air filter will not be shieled from the engine bay hot air.

It is of my opinion that you should run some base line dynos, install an wide band O2 sensor for air/fuel ratios, and maybe run a piggy back fuel injector that the OEm ECu does not even know is there. Most try working with the OEM EMS?ECU and with MB it seems possiblly better results could be attained with the OEM electornice not even detecting the controllers!!!! Just food for thought. I really like the notion and wish you all the very best. Just remember the fuel injectors. Have one flow tested before anything else!

·
Registered
321 Posts
+1 on the fuel maps. To really uncork that setup you'd need highly modified chips (and I don't know that anyone has figured out how to reprogram the M.B. ones properly) or a standalone EMS (big $$$ for a good one). . . Or another solution (I know of a good one, but it's a trade secret. . .).

It's completely doable, it's always just a question of time and money. You could easily custom-design a system, figure out the piping bends required, mounting locations, etc. and have it built. It isn't rocket science as far as the hardware (turbocharging is actually very simple). The kicker is getting it to do its magic without running you into the limits of your fuel delivery system and running you lean. Lean operation and high boost levels make bad things happen. Quickly.

Of course, a very simple and elegant solution to the "extra fuel" problem was devised by Reeves Callaway back in the early 1980s. It doesn't even require fuel map reprogramming. If you do your homework, you too can learn this "black art of the turbo". . . I won't hand out the answers here, but I'll just say there's more than one way to get more fuel into the cylinders than through the existing injectors. . . :D

The only things stopping me from doing it are (1) I don't really have the time these days, (2) I don't feel like tearing my daily driver apart to install new engine internals and (3) the price of forged pistons & rods is a bit of a put-off. But some day I will do it. It is not hard if you study the systems, research how others have solved the key problems and are willing to do some metal work.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Turbo technics in the uk did a turbo mb years ago, A saloon but a v6.

Turbo Technics Maybe they could help

·
Registered
251 Posts
turbo vs supercharged?

Both are fun to drive in my experienced.

turbo faster than SC.... in longer run?

Sc faster than turbo? in short run?

Well, you figure that one out lol... Heres are my experienced about driving sc car (slk) The slk has better pull on starting point (torgue) is always there at all rpm. Turbo (supra/civic) seem little slow on first gear due to Turbine needs spin on certain high rpm in order to create boost horsepower= torgue?. I think both have there own weakness, but turbo can always be upgradeable and not sure much on SC since it's belted to pulley?

Here are some stuff I have to focus on when I did greddy T3-T4turbo on japanese car.

-MAF change to aftermarket MAF to trick the ECU otherwise check engine light will show at high boost.
-FMU (Fuel management unit) most turbo set up required (bypass the fuel line)
-Aftermarket Fuel injector easiest way to increase fuel flow/ or B&M fuel regulator.
-Full synthetic oil to help cool down that turbo
-Higher boost higher fuel octane 92+
-Proper tuning is a must (dyno)
-Piping location ( hate that part lol)
-Cast manifold is more durable than Iron? I used cast
-Turbo Piston
-Bolt on exhaust at less 3'' pipe works good on turbo.
-boost cage/air fuel cage/
-I dont know about wide band Oxygen sensor since mine works fine with aftermarket catylec convertor.
-turbo timer ( works good in hot weather)
-msd sparkplug wire/turbo ngk spark plug/msd 6a (Ignition system more spark for you buck)hehe

Well, I might miss something else but I think thats good for now.hehe I wish I can do more to add power on my Slk but I rather leave it bone stock. Cost a lot of money by just maintenance alone..heheh What is the best upgrade (horse power talk) for slk? I heard change to larger pulley?,etc... thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
+1 on the fuel maps. To really uncork that setup you'd need highly modified chips (and I don't know that anyone has figured out how to reprogram the M.B. ones properly) or a standalone EMS (big $$$ for a good one). . . Or another solution (I know of a good one, but it's a trade secret. . .).

It's completely doable, it's always just a question of time and money. You could easily custom-design a system, figure out the piping bends required, mounting locations, etc. and have it built. It isn't rocket science as far as the hardware (turbocharging is actually very simple). The kicker is getting it to do its magic without running you into the limits of your fuel delivery system and running you lean. Lean operation and high boost levels make bad things happen. Quickly.

Of course, a very simple and elegant solution to the "extra fuel" problem was devised by Reeves Callaway back in the early 1980s. It doesn't even require fuel map reprogramming. If you do your homework, you too can learn this "black art of the turbo". . . I won't hand out the answers here, but I'll just say there's more than one way to get more fuel into the cylinders than through the existing injectors. . . :D.
I guess you could build a fuel holding tank separate from your fuel system. basically it's pressurized by the turbine, the pressure tank runs a line to the intake throttle body or to each port. the line sprays a jetted mist to feed the motor extra fuel. It's really simple. but the next problem is pulling out timing on this cars' ecu..

·
Registered
321 Posts
You're on the right track. Think even simpler.

Timing on the ECU could potentially be an issue, but there are also numerous aftermarket solutions one could use to address that (MSD, Electromotive, etc.)

Of course the best "kit" would be one with all the parts ready to bolt up and chips with new maps included. Such a thing including forged pistons & rods, upgraded fuel pump, injectors, the actual turbo(s), silicone connectors, lines, intercooler, oil supply & return plumbing, new chips (including R&D costs to create them), etc. would probably (I'm guessing) put the "off the shelf" cost of such a setup around $6k-$8k. Probably somewhere around 30-40 hours to install too - just a guesstimate.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
28 Participants
gakz
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing