Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a book named "Mercedes SL & SLC Series, 1971-1989 " by Brian Long. ISBN: 978-1-845842-99-4.

Veloce Publishing

The Google Books review shows it to contain answers to many of the historical questions we often discuss - like when did a 350SL become a 450SL, Why did HP of NA cars drop when nothing was changed. How much did my car cost new etc.

Anybody own this book?

I once had something similar but can't find it.

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
I believe I have it, but will confirm author, Graham. 90% sure this is the same book, if so it is primarilly a collection of period articles, softcover. I have two like this that are simillar in format and content and I am pretty sure the Long book is one of them.

Edit - I do not believe this is one I have. I happened to have ordered these from the office and still have the email:

Item.........Pitt C, Mercedes-Benz SL & SLC 1971-1989 W113 & W107 Series Item Number..17124
Quantity.....1
Price........11.00USD

Item.........Clarke R M, Mercedes-Benz SL & SLCs 1971-1989 Gold Portfolio Item Number..10069
Quantity.....1
Price........11.00USD

These are both very simillar, but one is much better in terms of quality and organization. Will report back on that just as an FYI for people tomorrow.

After a look at the link, the long book seems like a good one to get.

Anyone own "The SL Experience"? I am thinking of ordering that from Olson, I think it is around $60.

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0 #1382 & 1966 200D
106 Posts
Hi MBGraham,

I have a copy of the Brian Long's "Mercedes SL & SLC Series, 1971-1989" that was gifted to me by my Dad, as I couldn't swallow the asking price for a copy. Used ones seem to be far and few in between. It is a first-hand account of the complete production run of the the 107 with lots of factory details and in-depth facts and figures. The format of the hardbound book is full color with some black and white factory/period photos, high gloss pages and a square shape, which is somewhat unusual.

The book discusses quite a bit of the history of the SL series before the 107 and goes year-by-year through changes over the course of the 107 timeline while thoroughly covering available options. Actually, sometimes I felt there was too much coverage on all the little option changes, but that is what makes it somewhat of a definitive text for enthusiast readers.

The SLC 5.0 cars gets special coverage and was one of the main things that attracted me to the book, despite the price. The developmental pictures and text covering changes from the 113 'Pagoda' series to the 107 series that this board deals with are great and help explain why and how the 107 became the the car it is: elegant, aerodynamic, rigid, safe, and a classic roadster/coupe that feels great at high speeds.

There are even a few rallying shots of the 5.0 that I hadn't seen before in my many, many searches on the Intertubes, so that was a nice bonus.

I'm still not convinced it is worth the $60, but if you like fine books and the 107 series of Mercedes-Benzes, it's likely that you'll enjoy your purchase of Brian Long's tome. Once again, the Brits prove they make some of the best enthusiast books in the world for lovers of cars, sail boats, planes, and likely, many other subjects.

Onwards!

Anthony

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi MBGraham,

I have a copy of the Brian Long's "Mercedes SL & SLC Series, 1971-1989" that was gifted to me by my Dad, as I couldn't swallow the asking price for a copy. Used ones seem to be far and few in between. It is a first-hand account of the complete production run of the the 107 with lots of factory details and in-depth facts and figures. The format of the hardbound book is full color with some black and white factory/period photos, high gloss pages and a square shape, which is somewhat unusual.

The book discusses quite a bit of the history of the SL series before the 107 and goes year-by-year through changes over the course of the 107 timeline while thoroughly covering available options. Actually, sometimes I felt there was too much coverage on all the little option changes, but that is what makes it somewhat of a definitive text for enthusiast readers.

The SLC 5.0 cars gets special coverage and was one of the main things that attracted me to the book, despite the price. The developmental pictures and text covering changes from the 113 'Pagoda' series to the 107 series that this board deals with are great and help explain why and how the 107 became the the car it is: elegant, aerodynamic, rigid, safe, and a classic roadster/coupe that feels great at high speeds.

There are even a few rallying shots of the 5.0 that I hadn't seen before in my many, many searches on the Intertubes, so that was a nice bonus.

I'm still not convinced it is worth the $60, but if you like fine books and the 107 series of Mercedes-Benzes, it's likely that you'll enjoy your purchase of Brian Long's tome. Once again, the Brits prove they make some of the best enthusiast books in the world for lovers of cars, sail boats, planes, and likely, many other subjects.

Onwards!

Anthony
Thanks Anthony for the review!

Maybe put it on my Christmas list!

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
There is a book named "Mercedes SL & SLC Series, 1971-1989 " by Brian Long. ISBN: 978-1-845842-99-4.

Veloce Publishing

The Google Books review shows it to contain answers to many of the historical questions we often discuss - like when did a 350SL become a 450SL, Why did HP of NA cars drop when nothing was changed. How much did my car cost new etc.

Anybody own this book?

I once had something similar but can't find it.
Thanks for mentioning this book Chief. I couldn't pass it up. Just ordered it from Amazon. I'll let ya'll know what I think of it when it arrives sometime next week.

·
Registered
'88 560SL, '95 E300 Diesel
70 Posts
I have the book! It is quite pricey, but it is definitely the best 107 book in my opinion. Actually, I thinke he's doing the the entire SL line. The one for the 113 is already out, and I just saw that you can pre-order the one for the 129. Can't wait to get that one! Enjoy the books, you guys.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear the book is good. Maybe I will order one too!

Fonzi better get one too....Up to now I considered him the local expert on SL history ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts

Do any of those tomes comment on these pics?

It does not comment on those specific pics, though it does have a section on the development and design. I actually wish they had more photos of the prototypes and design sketches.

Interestingly enough, a photo very similar to the second one you posted is featured in the book (pg 53). It shows five Mercedes grilles in front of the car, as opposed to just two. It is the exact same car & license plate and background. Where did you find that pic?

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It is the exact same car & license plate and background. Where did you find that pic?

It looks like all the cars in the pic have the same licence number.

Apparently all prototypes of that era had the same (or similar) plates. The BB apparently stands for Béla Barényi. a Hungarian who was Director of Development for D-B from 39-72. He apparently was the inventor of MBs "crumple zone" that made MBs safer than other cars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It looks like all the cars in the pic have the same licence number.

Apparently all prototypes of that era had the same (or similar) plates. The BB apparently stands for Béla Barényi. a Hungarian who was Director of Development for D-B from 39-72. He apparently was the inventor of MBs "crumple zone" that made MBs safer than other cars.

I hadn't noticed the plates on the cars in the background. That info you shared is fascinating!

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Price increase. $51.46 now. :D
On the Amazon site it has a link telling you where you can buy it cheaper (New & Used)! (Maybe not once you add in shipping!)

I just ordered using this "Feature" Total cost C$43.15 incl shipping.

We should have done a bulk purchase!

Shipping Method: Standard Shipping
Items: CDN$ 36.66
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 6.49
------
Total Before Tax: CDN$ 43.15
GST: CDN$ 0.00
PST: CDN$ 0.00
------
Order Total: CDN$ 43.15

Delivery estimate: Aug 15 2012 - Aug 22 2012
1 "Mercedes-Benz SL & SLC 107 Series: 1971 to 1989"
Long, Brian; Hardcover; CDN$ 36.66
In Stock
Sold by: --SuperBookDeals (via Amazon.ca)

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here on BW someplace, not in the 107 though. Poster's name was Ivan something I think? He had a grip of old MB glamour and prototype stuff posted.

Anyone know how to track the image link?
forums/attachments/vintage-mercedes-benz

Probably in the Vintage forum in this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vintage-mercedes-benz/1647040-mercedes-benz-original-photos.html

Haven't found the SL Pics yet, too many others to look at!

Bingo!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vintage-mercedes-benz/1647040-mercedes-benz-original-photos-39.html#post5329492

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
Ahh, the tried and true law of supply and demand. I know I ordered a copy Wed night, and would guess enough others did to trip some kind of program that says "XX copies sold, demand is up, jump price 20%"...

The pics over on the vintage forum are largely from one book, a friend of mine has it but I am not sure what the title is.

If one was not familliar with what these factory mock up shots usually look like, and came across the pics above, they might send it to the "Hall of Shame" thread in error!! Very 70s - early 80s looking roof treatment. glad they took a pass on that one. :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts