Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went and visited AzimuthAviation (Roy) just after purchasing the skid plate (described in http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1556778-mercedes-skid-plate-part-1-a.html), and we talked about whether one of these things would be tough to fabricate. I don't think it would be too hard to do for someone with decent skills, and since my little mishap, I'd think a good number of folks would like to have one of these. Unfortunately, as described in the original thread, they are NLA.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1547008-mercedes-w126-skid-plate-cl-la.html

So, with the suggestion of Roy, I took a bunch of pictures with the skid plate next to a tape measure and a square, so that the dimensions could be seen. Hopefully someone can make good use of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pics for skid plate

So here's the rest of the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Thanks ElRojo

Nice piece of documentation on probably one of the most practical upgrades for these cars. Worthwhile 'Perfomance' insurance, but curious how much weight these add ?
Interesting how not 1 of my 3 560's have one. :(

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I want 2 pls.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice piece of documentation on probably one of the most practical upgrades for these cars. Worthwhile 'Perfomance' insurance, but curious how much weight these add ?
Interesting how not 1 of my 3 560's have one. :(
Interesting that you're the second to ponder the weight issue (it was brought up in another thread). I was surprised at how (relatively) light it was when I bought it, having been led to believe that it was a huge lump that would lower the front end! So I just went out and weighed it-- 18.5 pounds. Hell, on a w126 Benz, that's nothing.

+1 on the practical upgrade too-- my other thread shows just how little a dent was made in the oil pan-- and I wasn't going that fast over the dip that caused it-- and I still lost almost all the oil. On top of that, I wouldn't have known it until it was almost too late. I was lucky to have parked the car so soon after it happened-- and that's when I saw the oil trail!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
^ Scary. Mine has a kind of odd metal flange, not oe, between the gearbox and the engine. I have no idea why its there, its just a thin piece of metal that sticks out. And when it scrapes it makes a god awful noise that makes everyone turn and look plus gives me a nervous breakdown. Fun on speedbumps? Not, lol. But it sort of makes me very careful so maybe it helps. It scraped once during braking on an undulating surface, which is what makes me want a skid pan.
Elrojo was your replacement oil pan used? Seems cheaper than i thought they were.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pan I got from BMA (local to me) was a brand new Febi unit like this one:

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

The gasket was aftermarket too, but I figured that it's not that crucial to have genuine MB, as there's not a lot of pressure on it.

Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

The prices were about the same as Autohaus, after taxes it was $58. Both fit perfectly and zero drips in a month. Skid plate went on without issues too.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
If I had the clearance, id be interested. This is the first skid plate I've seen that looks like it will actually do its job. Nicely done.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I wonder if it would be easier to just make a tube based frame, just enough to help 'skid' without all that actual weight? (and cost to stamp/cut a plate).

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
I've got one on each of my 126 SEL's and for some reason I've seen heaps of these on cars in the wreckers. I just thought they were on all 126's:confused:

I wonder what the freight would be to the US?

Probably ridiculous.

·
Registered
MBZ '87 300SDL, MBZ '85 380SL, RR '77 Silver Shadow II, MBZ '98 E300TD
464 Posts
I went and visited AzimuthAviation (Roy) just after purchasing the skid plate (described in http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1556778-mercedes-skid-plate-part-1-a.html), and we talked about whether one of these things would be tough to fabricate. I don't think it would be too hard to do for someone with decent skills, and since my little mishap, I'd think a good number of folks would like to have one of these. Unfortunately, as described in the original thread, they are NLA.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1547008-mercedes-w126-skid-plate-cl-la.html

So, with the suggestion of Roy, I took a bunch of pictures with the skid plate next to a tape measure and a square, so that the dimensions could be seen. Hopefully someone can make good use of these.
Is this the queue for saying "me too!?"

Sounds like a job for a fabricator I've used before around the corner with dimensions in hand. For extra credit, I might even do mine in 300 series stainless.

-bh

·
Registered
MBZ '87 300SDL, MBZ '85 380SL, RR '77 Silver Shadow II, MBZ '98 E300TD
464 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't come on the cars standard, right out of the factory.
What would be the fun in that? My fabricator said "no sweat" and quoted me $250 in 300 series stainless re-pleat with corrugations. No powdercoat required.

-BH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts