• Request a refund and go somewhere else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came in to have my car serviced. My primary concern was getting the break lights fixed. I was told it was just the break on the right that needed replacing. I told your service manager I wanted an oil change and the slow leak on the right rear tire fixed as well.
About 1 hour later he told me the tire would have to be replaced because of the amount of damage on the inside. The price $184.00. Then I was told it was an after market brand continental sport contact 5 2254918 that Mercedes doesn't carry. I told him I was going to make some calls to get comps. I called several places and was told they don’t have that brand in the system? I had him on speaker phone and asked the manager what the tire number was again and this time he gave me a totally different number 225/40R18.
The manager said our price is only $9.00 more, and they have to order it. I asked how the difference in tire would impact my car suspension and driving etc. He said it would have a definite impact and suggested I replace both rear tires with a $75.00 discount offer, but it would still impact the car. I asked about the price to replace all 4 he said $750.00, after the $150.00 discount. I countered with $650.00 he said there’s no way he could take $650.00 for 4 tires and alignment. I asked him to check with his manager, he said he was the decision maker. So I agreed to have it replaced and chose to have all 4 replaced and aligned, and told him I would return Monday to pick up my 3 tires.

At 4:55 5 min before service closes l, he gave me the bill total $1078.00 and was ushered out hastily.
He did not go over the bill and the itemized list. Then he proceeds to tell me that the he threw in a break light bulb for free but the joint or something was loose or old not sure what the jargon was he used) and would need to be replaced sooner then later.
I went to my car to leave, and noticed a white film all over the tires. So I came back in to ask him what that was. He hurriedly claimed it was the soap used to put the tires on. Then reminded me they were closing again. So I left.
I arrive home (after 5 hours in the waiting room) and discover, to my dismay, that the break light, the main reason for my visit, hasn’t been fixed and doesn’t work. I then question what else wasn’t done or done correctly. This prompts me to take a good look at the bill and lo and behold there are several discrepancies and additional charges.
I then take a look at the tires and to add insult to injury there are 2 different tires installed. Why did they scam me into buying 4 new tires
when I have 3 perfectly good tires already. He planted a seed to instill fear in me and it worked. The new rear tires are 24535r18 and the front are 22540r18. To add insult to injury the rear rim is bent.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
2,594 Posts
Firstly there is a recall for the brake lights were they replace the whole taillight housing for free as it was a known defect. i believe this only applies in the USA. its not the bulb at fault, rather corroded faulty contacts in the housing of the tail light.

you can have different wheels on the front and back as long as they are similar. the key is they have to be in pairs. if one side has fairly decent amount of tread left and you can match the same tyre then its ok to replace.

white film is a type of grease they use to slide the tyre on, but that should have been cleaned off

for tyres etc its best to go to a tyre shop, the dealer will always try to up sell. the cause for the slow leak would have been a puncture or the tyre valve itself. no more than $30 to fix at a tyre shop

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
can you post a photo of the invoice for us to review? the OP description sounds heavy with emotion and I'm think it would be better to have something more factual to read. as such, i feel it premature to jump the gun and select from a limited choice of options in the 'poll'

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firstly there is a recall for the brake lights were they replace the whole taillight housing for free as it was a known defect. i believe this only applies in the USA. its not the bulb at fault, rather corroded faulty contacts in the housing of the tail light.

you can have different wheels on the front and back as long as they are similar. the key is they have to be in pairs. if one side has fairly decent amount of tread left and you can match the same tyre then its ok to replace.

white film is a type of grease they use to slide the tyre on, but that should have been cleaned off

for tyres etc its best to go to a tyre shop, the dealer will always try to up sell. the cause for the slow leak would have been a puncture or the tyre valve itself. no more than $30 to fix at a tyre shop

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Thank you so much, I wasn’t aware of the recall nor did they offer up that information. Could you give clarification on one more thing? The manual for my tires stipulates that the front should be 205/55VR16 and for the rear 225/50VR16. Shouldn’t the dealer have followed the tire requirements?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you post a photo of the invoice for us to review? the OP description sounds heavy with emotion and I'm think it would be better to have something more factual to read. as such, i feel it premature to jump the gun and select from a limited choice of options in the 'poll'

·
2,594 Posts
the tail light recall info is here

i believe this is for the USA only.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The manual for my tires stipulates that the front should be 205/55VR16 and for the rear 225/50VR16. Shouldn’t the dealer have followed the tire requirements?
It depends on what size wheels are currently on the car. From your description, it sounds like you have staggered (wider wheels on the rear) 18" wheels.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The new rear tires are 24535r18 and the front are 22540r18. To add insult to injury the rear rim is bent.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I doubt the dealer bent your rim installing a new tire. More than likely you hit a pothole or object on the road. With low profile tires on the rear, it is something that can easily happen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Subby! I contacted MBNZ & NHTSA and apparently the recall was fixed back in 2006, and nothing further will be done on their end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts